Gameday Tigers

Tony Chachere Day!

LSUDad

Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Cuisine celebrates 50 years of flavor!

Michaela Romero
1 day ago
Mr.-Tony-Holding-Can-e1655226387208.jpg?

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Tuesday is Mr. Tony Day in honor of his birthday and it is also the 50th celebration of his famous creole cuisine.

Louisiana legislators set forth Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 7 designating Tuesday, June 14, as Mr. Tony Chachere Day to recognize and celebrate the 50th Anniversary of his company.

“We are so humbled to be recognized for my great-grandfather’s legacy,” said Celeste Chachere, Director of Marketing & PR for Tony Chachere’s. “Louisiana is our home and is at the core of everything we do, so it is truly a great honor to have his birthday declared Mr. Tony Day by the state we love.”

In 1972, Tony Chachere’s began as a retirement hobby and life-long dream come true for the company’s namesake, Tony Chachere. Mr. Tony was a noted sportsman, chef, and bon vivant from Opelousas, Louisiana. 

The nationally recognized brand is still family-owned and operated, led by multiple generations of the Chachere family.

I worked with a bunch of guys that had a camp in the Atchafalaya Swamp, on Big Alabama Bayou. One of the camp members, Tony Chachere. That’s where he started mixing his seasoning. Another thing they did, cook the Jambalaya on top the stove, but put it in the oven to finish it. I still will do mine this way sometimes. 

• Like 1