Gameday Tigers

Honey Badger is grown now

Fishhead

Tyrann is very popular in Houston, he's in several commercials.  Ever since he showed up, he has consistently been interviewed by the press, I think because he has been a pro bowl level player.  You don't hear much about it, but rumor is he is very popular with his teammates and a good influence in the locker room.

I still maintain that the best thing that ever happened to him was Les Miles throwing him off the team.  It shocked him and stopped his down slide.  Then he had to figure out how to get back up.  But I think he thought he would not be held accountable because he was the "honey badger", and Les Miles did hold him accountable.  Then we know Patrick Peterson was as much a brother to him as could be, and Patrick helped him out a lot.

I'm happy for the honey badger!  He got a second chance and he maximized it.  More often than not, it is not the case.

Good article on Tyrann's impact on the Texans this season:

Tyrann Mathieu is a big reason why the Houston Texans are ready for more in 2018.

Houston- The Houston Texans are entering a pivotal stretch of the season, one which could find the team in a good spot heading into the playoffs if they handle their business. There has been discussion on whether the old Texans team will show up in an important match up on Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles in what has been deemed a must-win situation for the Texans. Will the disappointing Texans teams of the past show up again or will a new-mentality Texans answer the critics in a tough environment?

There has been a change inside the Texans locker room, a new mindset that consists of not shying away from the spotlight. It started with the infusion of S Tyrann Mathieu and the way he looks at the game and envisions the end result - and, of course, what he envisions is a win.

After signing his one-year deal with the Texans in the off-season, Mathieu has been a powerful voice inside the locker room. The Louisiana native’s journey is well documented and it was by overcoming difficult experiences in his life to become a stand-out NFL player that Mathieu has earned the respect of players around the NFL. He was known to the locker room prior to arriving in Houston and, what most have realized in the Texans organization, is that Mathieu is as genuine as a person can be and, more importantly, backs up who he is with a big smile along with his play on the football field.

“He’s a really good speaker,” O’Brien said of Mathieu “He’s got a powerful voice and he’s got a great life story that’s still continuing. I think there’s a lot of respect for him in that locker room – I know there is.”

Mathieu has helped stop a revolving door at the safety position and has posted 82 tackles, 7 pass deflections, 3 quarterback sacks, and 2 interceptions. Even more important is that Mathieu is asked to cover tight ends, running backs, and wide receivers from the safety position, giving the team a versatile player who can help in many facets of the game. Mathieu’s strong season saw him join former Texans ILB Brian Cushing as the only Texans player to record 60 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and two interceptions in the first 10 games of the season in franchise history.

His impact is being felt on the field and not only in the locker room.

“I mean, the guy was voted a captain and he hadn’t even been here for a full football season,” O’Brien continued on Mathieu. “I think that says it all about him. He’s just a good guy. He’s a guy that we really enjoy having in our locker room, and hopefully we can continue to have him in our locker room.”

On only a one-year deal with the Texans, Mathieu has turned into a priority for the organization to keep around for the near future. Being named a captain, his impact on the field along with how quickly and intensely he has taken to helping out citizens in the Houston community are qualities which are not going overlooked by the franchise. Mathieu mentioned earlier in the season that he would like to make Houston his home.

https://footballmaven.io/texans/news/tyrann-mathieu-s-impact-for-the-houston-texans-being-felt-on-and-off-the-field-J3spO8OUbEOBO9Sba24_zg/

Archived