Gameday Tigers

Mulkey Appoints Roberts, Two Expanded Positions.

LSUDad

Mulkey Appoints Roberts as Director of Player Personnel and Influence to Manage NIL for LSU Women’s Basketball

In Roberts’ new and expanded role, she will work to enhance branding opportunities for players on the LSU Women’s Basketball team, working as a direct liaison with LSU Athletics’ NIL staff and ensuring that each player has the opportunity to grow their brand to the fullest potential. 

Mulkey Appoints Roberts as Director of Player Personnel and Influence to Manage NIL for LSU Women’s Basketball
Gulf States Toyota

BATON ROUGE – As the era of Name, Image, and Likeness continues to evolve within collegiate athletics, head coach Kim Mulkey announced Wednesday, the one-year anniversary of NIL, that Jennifer Roberts will take on a first-of-its-kind role in women’s college basketball as LSU Women’s Basketball’s Director of Player Personnel and Influence. In this role, Roberts will help players within the program develop their personal brands, make informed decisions, and maximize their NIL opportunities.

“Collegiate athletics continues to change and evolve before our eyes, and it is important for us to be at the forefront of those changes,” Coach Mulkey said. “Jennifer has always been a critical member of my staff, and by taking on these additional responsibilities, she will help our players thrive in this space and keep our program on the cutting edge of NIL.”

In Roberts’ new and expanded role, she will work to enhance branding opportunities for players on the LSU Women’s Basketball team, working as a direct liaison with LSU Athletics’ NIL staff and ensuring that each player has the opportunity to grow their brand to the fullest potential. LSU Athletics has been at the forefront of NIL efforts through their partnership with Altius Sports Partners and the education provided to their student-athletes, coaches and staff.  Through this new role, Roberts will be a key component for women’s basketball in providing guidance when it comes to expanding their brand and positioning them for success in the NIL era.

“I am excited to work with our players to help them understand how to increase their market value,” Roberts said. “LSU is a global brand, and our players understand that being a Tiger will open many doors for them. NIL has been at the forefront for LSU since we arrived in Baton Rouge, and I quickly knew I had the capability to help our players navigate those waters. I am excited about this opportunity because along with the university, our program is embracing the new frontier within college athletics. As college athletics continue to evolve, it is important to educate our players on any deals they may be presented while also working to elevate their personal brands.”

Roberts spent the past year as the Director of Player Personnel for the women’s basketball program where she handled a range of duties that included player appearances, team community service and acting as the liaison for external projects as well as the serving as the program’s academic liaison. Before coming to LSU, Roberts was at Baylor University with Coach Mulkey during her entire 21-year tenure in Waco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Gordon McKernan, Kim Mulkey partner to offer LSU basketball team-wide NIL deal

Pete Nakosabout 2 hours
LSU women's basketball John Korduner / Icon SMI/Corbis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Over the past year, Gordon McKernanhas emerged as the biggest NIL investor in the LSU market.

He’s now ready to sign his first team-wide deal. The injury attorney firm announced a partnership afternoon with LSU women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey on Friday. As part of the agreement, McKernan is extending an NIL offer to every athlete on the team. 

On top of the NIL portion of the announcement, the basketball coach and her athletes are giving away 24 extra bikes in the annual Gordon Gives Bike Giveaway. 

“Ever since I came back to Louisiana, I wanted to partner with Gordon because I know he cares about this state as much as I do,” Mulkey said in a statement. “Giving back is important. And to honor that, we are kicking off our partnership by focusing on the community.”

McKernan is by far the most aggressive funder of NIL activity in Baton Rouge. Over the past six weeks alone, he has signed Jayden Daniels, Mason Taylor and Josh Williams to his roster. 

One of the most active figures in NIL, he hasn’t generated as much national attention as Miami mega-booster John Ruiz and LifeWallet. But McKernan and his firm have struck significant NIL deals with top student-athletes at all of the top college programs in Louisiana.