Gameday Tigers

Myles Brennan Talks About Joe Burrow

LSUDad

LSU quarterback Myles Brennan talks Joe Burrow, gaining weight and his future as a Tiger

Updated 12:55 PMPosted 12:55 PM
LSU Tigers quarterback Myles Brennan (15) throws the ball during second half action against the Rice Owls in Baton Rouge on Saturday, November 17, 2018. The LSU Tigers defeat the Rice Owls 42-10. (Photo by Brett Duke, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)
LSU Tigers quarterback Myles Brennan (15) throws the ball during second half action against the Rice Owls in Baton Rouge on Saturday, November 17, 2018. The LSU Tigers defeat the Rice Owls 42-10. (Photo by Brett Duke, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune) ((Photo by Brett Duke, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune))

139shares

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Ed Orgeron was on the phone. Myles Brennan had seen the rumors on Twitter, but Orgeron wanted him to hear the official word from him first.

Brennan had been competing with Justin McMillan and Lowell Narcisse for LSU’s starting quarterback job all spring, but Orgeron was seeking other options.

When Orgeron called Brennan in May, it was because Ohio State graduate transfer Joe Burrow was coming to Baton Rouge.

“I want to tell you before it hits the media,” Orgeron said to Brennan. “We’re getting a transfer. We really don’t have much depth in this room. Everybody’s going to have the same chance to compete. I haven’t promised Joe anything.”

That launched the most intense camp Brennan can remember. He spoke to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune at Fiesta Bowl media day Sunday (Dec. 30) on his rollercoaster season, working with Joe Burrow and his future as a Tiger.

The August camp between the four quarterbacks was an intense one. Orgeron gave all four equal reps.

“Every day was jaw-clenching intense, like the throws had to be perfect,” Brennan said. “That was every day.”

By Aug. 24, Narcisse and McMillan had both transferred, and Brennan and Burrow were in what Orgeron adamantly said was a close competition.

Brennan said the two quarterbacks were given grades, and Burrow finished one point above him.

“I feel like I was right there,” he said. “Joe and I were neck and neck ... It was a matter of just one point. That one point is obviously a big deal. This is a business.”

Brennan was a 4-star talent who people around the program say throws the best ball on the team. Many wondered if he’d also transfer when Burrow arrived.

“I’m gonna be honest, the thought has gone through my head, obviously when Justin and Lowell were thinking about leaving,” Brennan said, “but if I would have done it, I would have done it already.”

Terrence Alexander gets his final chance to make his mark at DBU

In the months since August, Brennan has tried to turn the situation into a positive. He admits he has things he needs to improve on, so he’s trying to use Burrow as a resource to improve.

“I’ve tried to say, like, ‘What is Joe doing that I wasn’t doing,’” he said. “He’s smart. He makes the right decisions. He takes care of the ball. At the end of the day, that’s all you need to do.”

So what does Brennan think he needs to improve on? He throws a great ball, but what about the other stuff?

“First off, gaining weight,” he said. “Everybody knows that by now. I’m not oblivious to that. I’m 19 years old. Hopefully I can start maturing into my body.

“Being smarter in terms of pre-snap, ‘They’re in this coverage, we have this play on. I’m eliminating this side, I’m sticking to this side, I’m reading this guy. If he does this, I go there. If he does that, I go there.’

“As a freshman, I was getting the ball, looking at the rush, freaking out and not really knowing what to do.”

Steve Ensminger didn't get to run his offense this year, but he sees potential for LSU

He said things were awkward at first with him and Burrow. They were teammates, but they were competing and it wasn’t clear if they’d bond.

Now, Brennan is the guy always waiting for Burrow on the sideline to talk the previous drive. If he calls himself Burrow’s “pick-up guy, if you will.” Burrow has thanked him for that.

But until Brennan gets his change, he said he’s staying patient and trying to make the most of it. He’s not going anywhere, either, he said.

“I feel like my time’s coming, and I’d rather be nowhere else than LSU.”

Matt Flynn brings up a good point, kids want to start right away now. Many have been coddled their entire life b/c of their athletic ability. It doesn't always pan out though. The more you move up, the better the competition and the less you can simply rely on physical skill.  In order to be "the man" at the next level,  you have to first work hard, get experience and BECOME "the man".  Nobody just hands that to you on a silver platter. Lowell Narcisse may have been one who could have benefited (not saying he is one who was coddled or who didn't work hard) by staying put. As you know, he transferred to Ms Gulf Coast Community College so he could get on the field.  He began the season as the starter and then lost the job:

Gulf Coast head coach Jack Wright tells us Chance Lovertich will remain the starting QB moving forward, replacing #LSU transfer Lowell Narcisse. Full comments below.

Thru 6 games –

Narcisse: 45.8%, 84.3 passing ypg, 3 TD/1 INT
Lovertich: 75.6%, 163.5 passing ypg, 10TD/1INT pic.twitter.com/yajvJF8esM

— Patrick Clay (@patrickclayTV) October 16, 2018

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/former-lsu-qb-lowell-narcisse-loses-starting-job-at-mississippi-gulf-coast-community-college

His final stats for 2018 were not much better http://www.mgcccbulldogs.com/sports/fball/2018-19/teams/mississippigulfcoastcommunitycollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=off

This may not be the best example since I really don't know that details of his exit from LSU only what has been reported.  He has since transferred to UTSA, hopefully Frank Wilson can help him develop as a QB.  Would love to see him get it together.

Archived