Gameday Tigers

THE HIT

LSUDad

What did The Big Guy do after the game? 

LOOK: Joe Burrow finds injured UCF QB McKenzie Milton after Fiesta Bowl

ANDREW OLSON | 9 HOURS AGO

Since UCF’s Peach Bowl win over Auburn and self-proclaimed national championship, there has been a “SEC vs. UCF” narrative in the media. That got stirred up even more when a back-and-forth between UCF and Florida’s athletic directors over scheduling played out in the press for everyone to see last month.

There was, however, one moment when SEC fans put that all aside. Knights QB McKenzie Milton’s injury against USF in November had college football fans everywhere praying for the best. Milton’s treatment and recovery has been closely followed by SEC fans.

After the Fiesta Bowl, LSU QB Joe Burrow made sure to seek out Milton for a postgame handshake. This is a classy move by Burrow after playing in a game that, at times, had the intensity and bitterness of a rivalry clash.

Joe Burrow Ends UCF's Streak, Throws Hat into Early 2019 Heisman Ring

KERRY MILLERJANUARY 1, 2019

LSU QB Joe Burrow
LSU QB Joe BurrowRoss D. Franklin/Associated Press

Joe Burrow threw for 394 yards and four touchdowns in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl as No. 11 LSU ended No. 8 UCF's 25-game winning streak by a final score of 40-32.

In the buildup to this one, most of the conversation centered around McKenzie Milton—UCF's Heisman-caliber quarterback who would not be playing due to a knee injury.

However, the postgame/preseason chatter should now revolve around Burrow as a dark horse in next year's Heisman race.

hai noticed in the rule, that the QB immediately becomes a “defenseless player” after a turnover. 

if thats the case, then the QB should not be allowed to participate in the play from that moment forward. 

im Ok with the hit Burrow took. 

he was actively pursuing the guy with the ball and seemed to have an angle to at least shove him out of bounds. 

that hit is exactly what i’d want someone from LSU to do in a similar situation. 

if it had been Brossette, Jefferson, Moreau, etc that got smoked no one would have made a big deal out of it. 

now the tauting after the hit....let’s just say in my day, that guy would have been told hello a few times the rest of the way. 

18 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

hai noticed in the rule, that the QB immediately becomes a “defenseless player” after a turnover. 

if thats the case, then the QB should not be allowed to participate in the play from that moment forward. 

im Ok with the hit Burrow took. 

he was actively pursuing the guy with the ball and seemed to have an angle to at least shove him out of bounds. 

that hit is exactly what i’d want someone from LSU to do in a similar situation. 

if it had been Brossette, Jefferson, Moreau, etc that got smoked no one would have made a big deal out of it. 

now the tauting after the hit....let’s just say in my day, that guy would have been told hello a few times the rest of the way. 

I agree with you, however...

I think targeting calls should be completely eliminated. There is zero consistency and it hasn't stopped the hits. 90% (estimate) of these calls are non egregious situations where the defender is NOT intending to make forcible contact to the head/ neck region, but football is a fast game. Take Delpit. When he began his hit, that guy was up higher. But shyte happens fast and the guy was lower by the time Grant arrived. Was it targeting? By rule yes. By actual definition, no way. 

Don't even get me started on comparing DWs targeting vs #91s non call. 

I agree the hit on Burrow was not targeting.  The defenders head hit Burrows shoulder pad first.  It was a hard hit by a big lineman, but Burrow was moving over to try and make a tackle on the DB that had just intercepted his pass.

I also agree the NCAA needs to revamp the rule on targeting, like the rule on roughing the kicker was redone.  There used to be just one rule for roughing the kicker, but now there are two, roughing and running into the kicker.  One is for egregious and the other for incidental.  It's a judgment call, but from what I have seen, the refs are getting it right.  The same should be done on targeting.  No way Delpit should have been ejected, or for that matter Devin White for the InbredGumps game.

Archived