Gameday Tigers

New Hire @ LSU ?

Hatchertiger

I hear many fans wanting a new OC. That means Ensminger would have to be fired, retire or agree to move to another position.  Well he is not getting fired so it would have to be one of the other two.  If that was to take place, would probably be after NSD.  Personally, no insight, but I don't believe Ensminger is going anywhere. Next year will be  the first time in a while we have the same OC and QB two years in a row (?).

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Next year will be  the first time in a while we have the same OC and QB two years in a row (?).

Fair point.  However, we need for the team to move on from 1990's offensive game plans when we play the likes of Alabama.

I think Steve stays right where he is.  Going into the bowl when he did the interview and reviewed the season, he called out many things that were not in the offense's favor.  2 tight ends out, losing Ingram on the o-line.  He didn't mention RB, but it was down this year.  I think Steve would feel that he has not had a chance to show what he can do, and O would agree with that.  Nothing happens at OC this year, not personnel wise, IMO.

22 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I hear many fans wanting a new OC. That means Ensminger would have to be fired, retire or agree to move to another position.  Well he is not getting fired so it would have to be one of the other two.  If that was to take place, would probably be after NSD.  Personally, no insight, but I don't believe Ensminger is going anywhere. Next year will be  the first time in a while we have the same OC and QB two years in a row (?).

Preface: I hope he stays at LSU,  love the guy. 

That said, if he continues to be our offensive coordinator, then we deserve to get our asses kicked again and again and again by Alabama and every other defense with a pulse. 

I don't understand how the factual evidence of his offense against tp defenses sucking is simply overlooked because of numbers put up against Ole Piss, UCF, et al.

Do y'all realize UCFs today competition was memphis, and memphis put up over 600 yds against that joke of a defense??

Jerry Sullivan Announces Retirement

January 09, 2019, 08:24 PM (CT)Updated: January 09, 2019, 08:29 PM (CT)
article_facebook.pngarticle_twitter.pngSend Mail

Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)
Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)
Assoc. Athletic Director/Communications

BATON ROUGE – LSU senior offensive assistant and passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivanannounced his retirement from football on Wednesday.

Sullivan, who spent seven years on the LSU coaching staff from 1984-90, joined Ed Orgeron’s staff as a consultant in 2017 and was then elevated to senior offensive assistant and passing game coordinator for the 2018 season.

One of the most respected wide receiver coaches in football, Sullivan spent 25 years in the NFL before coming back to LSU in 2017.

“Jerry had a great career, one that saw him develop, groom, mentor and train some of the best to ever play the wide receiver position at any level of football,” Orgeron said. “I can’t thank Jerry enough for the contributions he made to our program over the past two years.”

LSU's Jerry Sullivan retiring from coaching, not stepping away from football entirely

• Advocate staff report
  •  
  • Jan 10, 2019 Updated Jan 10, 2019

lsuauburnfootball.091618_HS_2203

LSU passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan coaches in the first half against Auburn, Saturday, September 15, 2018, at Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Al.

Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

The day after LSU football passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan announced his retirement, the longtime assistant coach said he's not ready to leave the sport completely.

While speaking on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge's Off the Bench on Thursday morning, Sullivan said he still intends to stay involved in football in some capacity.

Sullivan said he's already been contacted by one NFL team to serve as a mentor.

Jerry Sullivan, LSU passing game coordinator, retires from football

"I'll never step totally away from it," said Sullivan, who spent seven years with the Tigers from 1984-90 and also coached in the NFL for 25 years before his return to Baton Rouge in 2017. "As long as I'm breathing I'm not laying flat in a box. I'm gonna do some things to stay involved."

Sullivan cited reducing the number of hours he works as a main reason for partial retirement. Switching to a less involved role with a school/organization would allow that.

"It's time consuming and it encompasses your life," Sullivan said. "I've done it for 45 years and I still love it. It's in my blood and I'll never give it up. But 15 hour days get long."

You can listen to his full interview here.

This article originally ran on theadvocate.com.

•  

Report: LSU assistant coach interviewing for opening on Georgia staff

ADAM SPENCER | 1 HOUR AGO

The Georgia coaching staff has some openings on it this offseason, as both coordinators left to take different jobs.

Other assistant positions are open, too, including the DB coach job. And, apparently, an LSU assistant is looking into the opening.

According to LSU reporter Jimmy Smith, LSU DB coach Corey Raymond is interviewing for the same spot on the Georgia staff:

Raymond is a key recruiter for the Tigers and has helped turn LSU into “DBU,” churning out lots of NFL-quality defensive backs.

It’s easy to see why the Bulldogs are interested, but we’ll see if he actually ends up in Athens next season or remains in Baton Rouge.

15 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Report: LSU assistant coach interviewing for opening on Georgia staff

ADAM SPENCER | 1 HOUR AGO

The Georgia coaching staff has some openings on it this offseason, as both coordinators left to take different jobs.

Other assistant positions are open, too, including the DB coach job. And, apparently, an LSU assistant is looking into the opening.

According to LSU reporter Jimmy Smith, LSU DB coach Corey Raymond is interviewing for the same spot on the Georgia staff:

Raymond is a key recruiter for the Tigers and has helped turn LSU into “DBU,” churning out lots of NFL-quality defensive backs.

It’s easy to see why the Bulldogs are interested, but we’ll see if he actually ends up in Athens next season or remains in Baton Rouge.

That begs the question of why he is looking at a lateral move.

41 minutes ago, dachsie said:

That begs the question of why he is looking at a lateral move.

Looking at a lateral move got Dave Aranda a huge raise.  The money is out there, the coaches can see it in the big competitive programs.  They call, you listen, maybe you get a big raise.  There is an expiration date on all of us, you gotta strike while the iron is hot.  It's competitive.

• Like 2

Georgia Bulldogs interviewing ‘Godfather of DBU’ for coaching vacancy

chiptowers_q1tou7.jpg
By Chip Towers, DawgNation staff
January 12, 2019

ATHENS — Corey Raymond, one of LSU’s most renown recruiters , is reportedly on the UGA campus this weekend interviewing with Georgia football coaches.

That’s according to a report by LSU.Rivals.comon Saturday, which says the Tigers’ cornerbacks coach is due to remain in Athens through Sunday.

Raymond is considered the Tigers’ No. 1 recruiter ever since he joined the staff in 2012. Raymond reeled in cornerback Derek Stingley Jr., the No. 1 prospect in the nation as an early signee in LSU’s most recent class. He’s known in Louisiana as “the Godfather of DBU.”

Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart currently has openings for a secondary coach and/or a defensive coordinator and for a tight ends coach on the offensive side of the ball. It’s an unclear whether Smart would offer the coordinator’s position to Raymond. At LSU, he shares defensive backfield duties with safeties coach Bill Busch and reportedly defers a lot of the on-field coaching responsibilities to Bush.

Raymond, who will turn 50 in July, currently earns $410,000 annually at LSU, according to the USA Today college football assistant coach data base. That’s sixth on the LSU staff and 205th in the nation. Raymond is in the last year of a three-year contract he signed in 2016.

Georgia is looking to replace Mel Tucker, who made $1.5 million as the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator and secondary coach. He left to become head coach at Colorado. Georgia had outside linebackers coach Dan Lanning, 32, and inside linebackers coach Glenn Schumann, 28, handle the coordinating duties for the Sugar Bowl. Former Alabama and Oakland Raiders secondary coach Derek Ansley has also shown interest in the Bulldogs’ positions.

Meanwhile, there are also reports that former Georgia graduate assistant and offensive analyst Todd Hartley has had contact with the Bulldogs about their tight ends vacancy. Hartley is currently out of work after serving as Mark Richt’s tight ends coach at Miami the past three years.

The Bulldogs promoted James Coley to sole offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Friday after talking to several candidates about that joining the staff either as a co-coordinator or tight ends coach. 

I would think that unless there is some bad blood between O and Raymond, that if Corey is offered a lateral at a raise, then LSU could slightly better the offer and keep him in BR.  I think we should, he has repeatedly signed the top CB in the nation, coached them into all americans and success in the pros.  He has a track record we should try to retain.  If they offer Corey the DC job at a huge raise, he's gone IMO, but I don't see them doing that.

• Like 2

Report: Corey Raymond staying at LSU

5307975.jpg

LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond is staying at LSU after interviewing with Georgia, according to a report from NOLA.com | The Times Picayune’s Brody Miller.

Raymond has been rumored for jobs across the country each offseason as schools covet his ability to recruit and develop defensive backs.

The former LSU standout who spent six years playing in the NFL, finished up his seventh season with the Tigers in 2018.

Under Raymond, LSU's secondary has produced eight NFL Draft picks, including Jamal Adams and Tre'Davious White, who were both selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Below is a look at Raymond's profile with LSU Sports Information.

Corey Raymond, a former LSU standout who spent six years playing in the NFL, enters his seventh season with the Tigers in 2018. Raymond coaches the LSU cornerbacks.

Raymond's expertise as been critical in the development of LSU defensive backs as the Tigers secondary has consistently been one of the strengths thus enhancing the school's claim of being “DBU.”

Under Raymond, LSU's secondary has produced eight NFL Draft picks, including Jamal Adams andTre'Davious White, who were both selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Most recently, cornerback Donte Jackson was selected in the second round (55th overall) by the Carolina Panthers in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Raymond has coached three first-round draft picks at LSU, a list that also includes Eric Reid. Other LSU NFL Draft picks under Raymond's watch include: Tyrann Mathieu (third round in 2013), Tharold Simon (fifth round in 2013), Jalen Collins (second round in 2015), Rashard Robinson(third round in 2016) and Jalen Mills(seventh round in 2016).

Raymond's secondary has produced four first team All-Americans during his time at LSU, a list that includes Reid (2012), Mills (2015), Adams (2016) and White (2016).

Last year, LSU's secondary featured a pair of second team All-Americans in redshirt freshman Greedy Williamsand Jackson. Williams had a breakout year with the Tigers in 2017, leading the SEC in interceptions (6) and finishing No. 2 in the conference in passes defended (17). As a unit, LSU allowed only 11 passing touchdowns, which was the second-lowest total in the SEC, and the Tigers were No. 2 in the league in pass efficiency defense.

In 2016, Raymond's secondary allowed only nine passing touchdowns all season and ranked No. 3 in the Southeastern Conference in yards per game at 197.2. White, who ranked No. 2 in the conference in passes defended with 16, along with Adams were both named first team All-SEC. For the second-straight year, Adams led all LSU defensive backs with 76 tackles.

LSU's 2015 secondary featured Mills, a first team All-America selection despite missing the first five games of the season with a broken ankle. Mills was joined in the secondary by White and Adams, who were both second team All-SEC selections. Adams led all Tiger defensive backs with 67 tackles and four interceptions.

In 2014, LSU's secondary featured another young, but talented group as the starting lineup included a true freshman, one sophomore, two juniors and a senior. The play of LSU's secondary was prominent in the Tigers leading the SEC in total defense (316.8 yards per game), pass defense (164.2 yards per game) and pass efficiency defense (101.6 rating). LSU allowed an SEC-best 10 passing touchdowns in 2014 and the Tigers were the only team in the league to hold teams to fewer than 200 completions.

LSU ranked No. 4 in the SEC in pass defense in 2013, allowing 197.5 yards per game. The Tigers limited opponents to 15 touchdown passes and ranked second in the league in yards allowed per attempt (6.4) and third in the conference in completion percentage at 56.0 percent.

In his first year back with the Tigers in 2012, Raymond coached safety Reid to first team All-America honors. Reid was later chosen in the first round (18th overall) of the NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers. Starting cornerback Tharold Simonwas picked in the fifth round by the Seattle Seahawks.

As a unit in 2012, LSU's secondary, despite using a pair of first time starters, combined for 15 interceptions and helped the Tigers rank No. 11 nationally in pass efficiency defense.

Raymond returned to LSU after spending the 2011 season as the secondary coach at Nebraska. In his one season with the Cornhuskers, Raymond coached a Nebraska secondary that featured the 2011 Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year in Alfonzo Dennard. Despite inheriting a group that lost four starters from the season before, including three NFL Draft picks, Raymond's secondary helped Nebraska rank No. 18 in the nation in pass defense in 2011.

Prior to his one-year stay in Lincoln, Raymond served as the cornerbacks coach for two seasons at Utah State. Raymond's top pupil at Utah State was that of Curtis Marsh, who earned All-WAC honors and later went on to become a third-round pick in the NFL Draft. Raymond served on the LSU staff for three years from 2006-08 before taking the job at Utah State.

During his three years on the LSU staff from 2006-08, Raymond was part of two BCS bowl victories, including a 38-24 win over Ohio State in the BCS National Championship. LSU's defense ranked No. 3 nationally in both 2006 and 2007 as the Tigers combined to post a 23-4 record during that span.

Prior to joining the LSU staff in 2006, Raymond coached at the high school level for three years in his hometown of New Iberia. Raymond was the defensive coordinator at New Iberia High School in 2003 and then held the same position at Westgate High School in 2004-05.

Raymond was a three-year starter in the secondary for the Tigers from 1989-91. He capped his LSU career with 185 tackles and eight interceptions. Following his career with the Tigers, Raymond spent six seasons in the NFL – three with the New York Giants and three with the Detroit Lions. In 90 games in the NFL, Raymond started 60 times and intercepted 11 passes to go with 258 tackles.

Raymond, who earned his undergraduate degree from LSU in 1993, has four children – Cody, Ariel, Christopher and Madison.

• Like 1

This is a little more into what I was talking about...

Westfield supplies coaching pipeline to Falcons

Adam Coleman | on February 3, 2017
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

375x250.jpg
Photo: Jerry Baker, Freelance
IMAGE 1 OF 3 
A year ago, Justin Outten, above, worked the sideline as an assistant coach at Westfield. Now, Outten, left and below right, returns to Houston as a Falcons assistant along with Chris Morgan, below left, who also coached at Westfield. 
375x250.jpg
Photo: Karen Warren, Staff Photographer
IMAGE 2 OF 3 
A year ago, Justin Outten, above, worked the sideline as an assistant coach at Westfield. Now, Outten, left and below right, returns to Houston as a Falcons assistant along with Chris Morgan, below left, who  

Justin Outten stood in the middle of the carpeted surface where grass is supposed to be on Monday at Minute Maid Park.

Chaos surrounded him. It was Super Bowl LI's opening night. That didn't stop him from having a moment to himself to soak everything in - or at least try to.

One year ago, he was an offensive line coach at area high school football powerhouse Westfield. This week, he returned to Houston as an offensive assistant with the Atlanta Falcons about to take part in a Super Bowl.

"It's surreal," Outten said. "It really is. I took a shot. I took an opportunity and kind of went out on a limb and it ended up paying off. And my wife, who I met here at Minute Maid Park. It just came full circle.

"To look around and see where you are, it's really surreal."

And it speaks to how strong coaching connections are, especially in Texas.

Outten is on the Falcons' staff because of another former Westfield assistant, Chris Morgan, who coaches Atlanta's offensive line.

Morgan, who has been coaching in the NFL since 2009, reached out to Outten with an opportunity to assist him with the offensive line and do behind-the-scenes work as far as prepping for opponents.

Morgan, from Killeen, picked a great year to arrive at Westfield as an offensive line coach from Copperas Cove in 2004. The Mustangs advanced to the Class 5A Division I state championship game in Morgan's first season on the staff.

Old hat for Morgan

Morgan left Westfield to join the Oakland Raiders as an assistant offensive line coach thanks to Tom Cable, his old offensive line coach at alma mater Colorado. That led to the same job in Washington in 2011 and Seattle in 2014.

Morgan is coaching in his second Super Bowl against the same team, the first being Super Bowl XLIX against New England. The Patriots won that 2015 matchup with the Seahawks 28-24 in Glendale, Ariz.

Texas high school football is where it started for Morgan, and it showed when he reached out to Outten, who was on Westfield's staff for seven years after being a graduate assistant at his alma mater Syracuse.

"I definitely carry it with me," Morgan said. "It's my foundation. I played here. I was at Killeen High. In 1991, we came here and won the state championship in the Astrodome against Dulles. Started way back then as a young kid watching Killeen and definitely the progression as a high school coach. Very proud to be a Texas high school coach."

Westfield suddenly has become a prominent coaching pipeline. A.J. Blum spent eight seasons as Westfield's defensive coordinator before taking a defensive line coaching job this offseason with the University of Houston.

Blum was in Outten's wedding.

Corby Meekins was Westfield's head coach for 15 years before joining Tom Herman on UH's staff as a tight ends and fullbacks coach in 2015. He's now with Herman at the University of Texas.

Meekins, whose first season as head coach at Westfield was that 2004 campaign, hired these coaches. His brother Matt is the current Westfield head coach, maintaining the program as one of the most successful in the state.

"The biggest thing about both of them as far as when they were high school coaches, they care about kids," Matt Meekins said of Morgan and Outten. "They're honest. They do what they say they're going to do. When they had to make decisions, they based their decision on what's right and not what's popular."

Spring ISD AD conflicted

The connections are even deeper with Willie Amendola, who was a defensive coordinator at Westfield before taking the Dekaney head coaching job and then returning to Spring ISD in 2014 to become the athletic director.

He and Morgan used to live in the same neighborhood, and Amendola even helped him move into his house.

Amendola has a couple of rooting interests for Super Bowl LI, perhaps none bigger than his son Danny, a wide receiver for the Patriots.

In Super Bowl XLIX, Willie watched Morgan coach for Seattle and his son win a Super Bowl. Now it's déjà vu with Outten thrown in as an added bonus. He remembered talking at length with Outten about his move from high school to the NFL.

"Opportunities like that don't come around every day," Amendola said. "He knew he had a place he could come back to, so if it didn't work out, then what did it cost him? A year? But it's a great story."

Outten agreed. He said all these former Westfield coaches text each other every now and then, sending encouragement or congratulations after a big victory.

Outten said his experience at Westfield - where the Mustangs are used to long playoff runs - helped him in his first NFL season, which he calls a grind.

Outten took the Atlanta job last March, and now he's working with names he used to watch on TV while aiding the NFL's top offense.

And the realization he can go from a high school job to a Super Bowl ring in a year's time?

"It's never hit me, and it still won't hit me until it happens," Outten said.

• 2 weeks later...

O has made a hire. 

Joseph Brady embarks on his second season as an NFL assistant in 2018. Prior to joining the Saints, he started his coaching career with four years in the college ranks. Assisting the team’s offensive staff in all aspects of game preparation, the Saints finished second in the NFL offensively, as the only team ranked in the top five in both passing (fifth) and rushing (fifth). 

From 2015-16, Brady served as a graduate assistant at Penn State from 2015-16 and started his coaching career as a defensive assistant at his alma mater William and Mary where from 2013-14 he worked with the linebackers

Brady played for the Tribe from 2009-12 at wide receiver after transferring from the Air Force Academy, garnering Academic All-conference distinction in both 2011 and 2012. He graduated from William and Mary with bachelor’s degrees in process management and consulting as well as kinesiology and health sciences and a minor in leadership and organizational management.

PLAYING CAREER: William and Mary, 2009-12.

COACHING CAREER: William and Mary, 2013-14; Penn State, 2015-16; New Orleans Saints, 2017-.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

LSU reportedly adding William and Mary coordinator DJ Mangas to Ed Orgeron's staff

MICHAEL WAYNE BRATTON | 13 HOURS AGO

LSU is hoping for a big season in 2019 featuring an offense that has finally turned the corner under Ed Orgeron.

With a returning starting quarterback in Joe Burrow, the majority of the program’s experienced offensive linemen returning in addition to nearly every player with a reception last season, things are looking up for the offense in Baton Rouge. The only full-time staff turnover experienced by the Tigers this season was the retirement of passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan, who was replaced by Joe Brady from the New Orleans Saints.

That staff continuity should be key in 2019 but Orgeron has also praised the efforts of the program’s analysts at several points last season. Looking to continue that success, the Tigers are adding William and Mary offensive coordinator DJ Mangas to the staff this offseason. This news was first reported by Brody Miller of NOLA.com.

Mangas has at William and Mary for five seasons, serving his final two as offensive coordinator The 30-year-old Mangas was among the youngest coordinators in the nation last season. He is a graduate of William and Mary.

Former William & Mary OC DJ Mangas joins LSU as offensive analyst

Posted Feb 28, 9:35 AM

LSU hires former William & Mary offensive coordinator DJ Mangas as offensive analyst.

217shares

By Brody Miller, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

LSU has hired former William & Mary offensive coordinator DJ Mangas as an offensive analyst, an LSU source told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Thursday (Feb. 28). 

Mangas, 30, spent the past two seasons as the second-youngest offensive coordinator in Division I at William & Mary, where the offense struggled and averaged 15 and 13.6 points per game. 

Mangas is filling the role of former LSU quarterback and offensive analyst Brad Kragthorpe, who took a similar role with the Cincinnati Bengals. 

false

Mangas played and coached alongside new LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady at William & Mary. Both went there as walk-on receivers and eventually made it onto the Tribe staff. 

After his playing days, Mangas had one-year stints at Georgetown and Hampton-Sydney College before becoming William & Mary’s running backs from from 2013-2016. Then, in 2017, he became the second-youngest offensive coordinator in the country at 27. 

Kevin Rogers, a former Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach who worked with Ed Orgeron at Syracuse, was offensive coordinator for parts of both Mangas’ and Brady’s time on staff. 

“Both bright young guys that walked on and earned scholarships," Rogers said. "Both would be successful in any avenue they decided to follow. They both love football and will do their best for LSU and Coach Orgeron.”

LSU lost five analysts to different professional or college jobs this offseason, and Mangas makes three replacements so far. LSU hired former NFL offensive line coach and Tulane coach Mark Hutson to work with the offensive line, and former LSU fullback and Alabama analyst August Mangin took a defensive role. 

That, in theory, leaves at least two more analyst positions open.

Report: LSU hires former Nebraska, Wisconsin defensive coordinator to support staff

ADAM SPENCER | 5 HOURS AGO

The LSU Tigers have made an interesting hire for their support staff, picking up a longtime defensive coordinator.

Per a report from FootballScoop.com, the Tigers have added former New Mexico assistant Kevin Cosgrove to their staff.

Cosgrove was moved from defensive coordinator to LB coach this offseason, and it seems he decided he’d rather head off to LSU. Cosgrove has plenty of experience that will be valuable to Ed Orgeron’s staff, per the report:

In addition to New Mexico, Cosgrove previously coordinated defenses for Nebraska, Wisconsin, Akron and Southeast Missouri State. He spent 14 years on College Football Hall of Famer Barry Alvarez’s Wisconsin staffs, five as linebackers coach and nine as defensive coordinator.

That’s a wealth of knowledge coming to Baton Rouge, and Cosgrove will be a valuable addition to the Tigers’ staff.