Gameday Tigers

New Hire @ LSU ?

Hatchertiger

“Archie McDaniel, who was the Lobos’ outside linebackers coach, left to become the co-defensive coordinator at Texas State.”

After looking into this hire, I found this one. There was 2 LB’s Archie McDaniel and Nuhranda Manning, Saban wanted both when he was at LSU. McDaniel was a verbal to us on signing day. I got a call from a coach in Tx, he had sent some paperwork to Jimbo Fisher, I was faxed the same info. Both didn’t do anywhere near what most of the LB’s At LSU did. 

Hits just keep on coming...

LSU adds Chicago Bears defensive back coach Roy Anderson to analyst staff

lsuslufootball1595.090918 bf

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron leads his team onto the field for the first half of LSU's football home opener against SLU in Tiger Stadium Saturday Sept. 8, 2018, in Baton Rouge, La.

ADVOCATE STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

LSU has added a lead analyst to its defensive staff with plenty of NFL experience.

Roy Anderson, who spent the past two seasons as the assistant defensive back coach with the Chicago Bears, is listed on LSU's official coaching staff as the lead analyst for the Tigers.

The news was first reported by FootballScoop.com.

Anderson, 38, was a graduate assistant under former LSU head coach Nick Saban in 2004, and he has spent the last 14 years as an assistant in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers and the Bears.

Anderson has primarily worked with safeties during his coaching career, mentoring Bears safety Eddie Jackson in 2017 as he ranked third on the team with 70 tackles and two defensive touchdowns.

While with the 49ers in 2016, Anderson worked with safety Antoine Bethea, who led the team with 110 tackles.

The Florida native former Howard University quarterback form 1997-2001 is the latest addition to Ed Orgeron's support staff, which has shuffled since the end of the 2018 season.

LSU now has 10 analysts listed on its coaching staff, having recently hired New Mexico defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove. Former defensive analyst Leon Wright is still officially listed, but he accepted a cornerbacks coach position with Mercer in late February.

Anderson is the second added analyst with NFL experience, including Cleveland Browns offensive line coach Mark Hutson, who is an offensive analyst.

image.png

More on Roy:

Anderson, 35, is the son of Fort Myers resident Mary Simpson, a 1971 Fort Myers High School graduate. She also attended Dunbar High for two years, prior to the integration of Lee County schools in 1969.

On Monday, mother and son will travel from Fort Myers to Santa Clara, California, where the 49ers are scheduled to report for training camp on Friday. Anderson is entering his ninth season as a NFL coach and his first with the 49ers.

“It’s been exciting to see him get to do what he enjoys doing,” Simpson said of her son, a defensive backs coach who previously worked for the Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens.

Although Anderson was born and raised in Tallahassee, he spent many a summer, winter and spring break in Fort Myers, visiting his grandparents and, over the past 17 years, living with his mom during the offseason.

“I used to come down here all the time to visit,” Anderson said.

Simpson graduated from Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, where she settled and raised her only son, who graduated from Godby High in 1998. Anderson’s father lives in the panhandle city Quincy.

Simpson returned to live in Fort Myers in 1999, when her son was playing defensive back at Howard University in Washington, D.C.

Roy Anderson and his mother, Mary Simpson. Anderson is an assistant coach with the San Francisco 49ers. He was raised in Tallahassee but considers Fort Myers a second home. Simpson graduated from Fort Myers High School in 1971 but attended classes at the old Dunbar High School before integration. Anderson now spends his summers in Fort Myers, but he's bringing his mom with him to California next week as NFL training camps begin.
Roy Anderson and his mother, Mary Simpson. Anderson is an assistant coach with the San Francisco 49ers. He was raised in Tallahassee but considers Fort Myers a second home. Simpson graduated from Fort Myers High School in 1971 but attended classes at the old Dunbar High School before integration. Anderson now spends his summers in Fort Myers, but he's bringing his mom with him to California next week as NFL training camps begin. 
ANDREW WEST/THE NEWS-PRESS

From there, Anderson got his start in coaching, first at Florida A&M and then Florida State under Bobby Bowden and LSU under Nick Saban as a graduate assistant.

As a teenager, Anderson learned about the best athletes Fort Myers had to offer before the rest of the world did. This includes Fort Myers natives Deion Sanders and Richard Fain, who went on to become NFL cornerbacks.

Anderson also made connections with a number of other former NFL players from Fort Myers before they became stars.

“I knew about Deion because my aunt, she worked at the Dunbar rec center,” Anderson said. “So she was one of Deion’s coaches when he ran track when he was little. And my mom and my aunt, they know Deion’s mom. Earnest Graham, they know him and his family.

“Mario Henderson, I know him because I was a grad assistant at Florida State when he was there.”

Henderson, who played high school football at Bishop Verot and Lehigh, went on to play offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders and has started his own coaching career at Dunbar High.

Anderson has continued his Southwest Florida connections in San Francisco. Running back Carlos Hyde, a Naples High School graduate, and defensive end Aaron Lynch, an Island Coast High graduate who will be serving a four-game suspension at the start of the season for failing a drug test, are 49ers.

“I got a chance to talk to them and be around them,” Anderson said. “They’re real cool guys. We’re excited for the season. We’ve got a good group of guys coming back.”

Anderson has enjoyed a smooth transition to his newest NFL team. Last offseason marked the first time he had been fired from a job, having spent the previous four years as the Colts secondary coach.

“Once you get released, you just call other coaches who you know or other general managers who you know,” Anderson said. “If something comes open, they’ll fly you in for an interview.”

Anderson called Mike Pettine, who had been fired as head coach by the Cleveland Browns, looking for a connection. Pettine and Anderson had worked together on the same Baltimore Ravens coaching staff.

Pettine, who had worked with new 49ers defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil in Cleveland, recommended he hire Anderson.

Chip Kelly enters his first season as the 49ers head coach.

“It’s truly a blessing,” Anderson said of continuing his coaching career, which will pay him about $215,000 this season.

Anderson said he would like to work his way up to becoming a defensive coordinator and eventually a head coach. Whether he meets those goals or not, he said he always would consider Fort Myers his home away from home.

“I like the NFL a lot,” Anderson said. “I would coach in college. I wouldn’t turn that down. But ideally, I would like to stay in the NFL.”

Resume for Roy Anderson: 

As coach:

Florida A&M University (2002)
Graduate assistant

Florida State University (2003)
Student assistant

LSU (2004)
Graduate assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2005–2007)
Player personnel assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2008)
Coaching assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2009)
Defensive assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2010–2011)
Defensive assistant

Indianapolis Colts (2012–2015)
Safeties coach

San Francisco 49ers (2016)
Safeties coach

Chicago Bears (2017–2018)
Safeties coach

More: 

Anderson was part of Nick Saban’s 2004 staff at LSU which featured Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Derek Dooley and several other well known coaches. Anderson served as a grad assistant on that staff.

Following that season Anderson left to join the Baltimore Ravens staff where he served until 2011. He then joined the Colts staff as safeties coach beginning in 2012 – 2015. He coached safeties one season for the 49ers in 2016 before joining the Bears staff for 2017 & ’18.

This addition comes just days after LSU added another FBS coordinator to the staff.

Report: LSU adding longtime NFL assistant, who served on Tigers' 2004 staff, for 2019 season

ADAM SPENCER | 13 HOURS AGO

The 2004 LSU coaching staff was loaded with big-name guys who have gone on to other things in the college football world.

Some of those names are Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp. Also on that staff was Roy Anderson, who served as a graduate assistant.

Now, according to a report from FootballScoop.com, Anderson is returning to Baton Rouge as an analyst:

Roy Anderson, who coached safeties the past two seasons for the Chicago Bears will join the LSU staff as an analyst source tells FootballScoop.

Anderson was part of Nick Saban’s 2004 staff at LSU which featured Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Derek Dooley and several other well known coaches. Anderson served as a grad assistant on that staff.

Anderson has spent the past 15 seasons in the NFL, coaching with the Bears, San Francisco 49ers, Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens.

Coach Ed Orgeron has lots of experience on his support staff, and that’s a good thing heading into the 2019 season.

LOL...and here I thought 'Cosgrove' was a character from Mad Men:

• Kenneth "Ken" Cosgrove (Aaron Staton😞 A young account executive originally from Vermont. Outside the office, Ken is an aspiring author who had a short story published in The Atlantic, which is a source of some envy by his co-workers, particularly the competitive Paul Kinsey and jealous Pete Campbell. According to his bio in The Atlantic, Ken attended Columbia University.[49] His wife is Cynthia. He has one admirer, art director Salvatore "Sal" Romano, who secretly has a crush on him.[50] Ken was promoted in the beginning of Season 3 to Account Director, a role he shared with Pete Campbell. Later on, the more easy-going Ken is promoted over the more ambitious Campbell to Senior Vice President of Account Services. However, at the end of Season 3, Draper and Sterling choose Pete over Ken for their new agency. During Season 4, Ken joins SCDP after working for McCann Erickson, which had bought Sterling Cooper, and BBD&O. When Pete learns of Ken's return, he is initially upset with Lane Pryce for not telling him, since Pryce had authorized Ken's previous promotion over Pete. However, when Ken agrees to serve under Pete as accounts manager at SCDP, the two reconcile over lunch and Pete comes to realize that Ken is a practical choice to help bring new business to the firm. In Season 5 it is discovered that Ken secretly writes science fiction short stories. In Season 6, he is wounded in the eye during a hunting accident with SCDP clients, Chevrolet. By Season 7, he shows increased stress over the state of the agency, and with the acquisition of SC&P by McCann Erickson, Ken is fired. However, he assumes his father-in-law's position at Dow Chemical and thus becomes a client for the remainder of the series run.

• Like 1

LSU analyst staff

Ronnie Wheat  Lead defensive analyst 
Kevin Cosgrove Lead defensive analyst
Roy Anderson Lead defensive analyst
Blaine Gautier Offensive analyst 
Mark Hutson Offensive analyst 
DJ Mangus Offensive analyst 
Jorge Munoz Offensive analyst 
Tyler Spotts-Orgeron Offensive analyst
August Mangin Defensive analyst 
Aaron Schwanz Special teams analyst 

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

LSU analyst staff

Blaine Gautier Offensive analyst 
Mark Hutson Offensive analyst 
DJ Mangus Offensive analyst 
Jorge Munoz Offensive analyst 
Tyler Spotts-Orgeron Offensive analyst
August Mangin Defensive analyst 
Aaron Schwanz Special teams analyst 

I don't know any of those guys, but I hope they are good.  With all the on the practice field coaching that the assistant coaches do, and the level of detail they should be coaching at the position level, I can see where it would be hard for them to spend time and break down what InbredGumps is doing, and what teams that enjoy success against them (not many beat InbredGumps, but some play competitive games with them) are doing on offense and defense.  I think that is where the analysts could come in as valuable, watching film and gameplanning for opponents.  They should be able to devote a whole 'nuther level of attention to detail than the traditional position coach was allowed.

4 hours ago, LSUDad said:

LSU analyst staff

I can’t help myself, every time I see the name Roy Anderson, I think of a good friend and family. The other Roy Anderson I’ve known well, was a Bail Bondsman, his office was across the street from the jailhouse in BTR. During those day, knowing someone helped. 

• 1 month later...

More...

LSU hires longtime defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove as lead defensive analyst

LSU: Kevin Cosgrove
New LSU analyst Kevin Cosgrove Photo from University of New Mexico

LSU has added a new lead analyst for its defensive staff.

Kevin Cosgrove, who spent the last four seasons as the defensive coordinator at New Mexico, is listed on LSU's official coaching staff as the lead defensive analyst for the Tigers.

Cosgrove is the latest addition to Ed Orgeron's support staff, which has shuffled since the end of the 2018 season.

LSU has 10 analysts listed on its coaching staff, having recently hired Cleveland Browns offensive line coach Mark Hutson as an offensive analyst and former LSU player August Mangin as a defensive analyst.

Cosgrove, 63, has been a defensive coordinator at five Division I FBS programs in his 38-year college coaching career, including a nine-year stint at Wisconsin from 1995 to 2003, when the Badgers won two Big Ten championships and two Rose Bowls under head coach Barry Alvarez.

Cosgrove, a Chicago native, spent a total of 14 seasons at Wisconsin, starting out as a linebackers coach from 1990 to 1994. In 2008, Cosgrove was inducted into the Wisconsin Football Coaches Hall of Fame.

Cosgrove was the defensive coordinator at Nebraska from 2004 to 2007, joining up with head coach Bill Callahan during a stretch where the Cornhuskers went 27-22 with a defense that twice ranked within the top 30 in the FBS in scoring defense.

After a two-year stint as Minnesota's co-defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2010, Cosgrove spent a season as Akron's defensive coordinator in 2011.

He spent the last seven seasons at New Mexico under head coach Bob Davie, spending the first three seasons as the inside linebackers coach.

Cosgrove's defense helped the Lobos reach the New Mexico Bowl in 2015, its first bowl appearance since 2007.

In 2018, New Mexico ranked ninth out of 12 teams in the Mountain West Conference with 36.2 points allowed per game. 

LSU analyst staff

Blaine Gautier  Offensive analyst 
Mark Hutson  Offensive analyst 
DJ Mangas Offensive analyst 
Jorge Munoz  Offensive analyst 
Tyler Spotts-Orgeron  Offensive analyst 
August Mangin  Defensive analyst 
Leon Wright  Defensive analyst 
Aaron Schwanz  Special teams analyst 

Getting word another guy might be added to the staff. Kenechi Udeze, a Former DL Coached by O at USC. Udeze was a 1st round pick by the Vikings in 2004. Leukemia cut his playing time. He has coached at Washington, Pitt and USC. He also coached in the NFL with the Vikings and Seahawks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Getting word another guy might be added to the staff. Kenechi Udeze, a Former DL Coached by O at USC. Udeze was a 1st round pick by the Vikings in 2004. Leukemia cut his playing time. He has coached at Washington, Pitt and USC. He also coached in the NFL with the Vikings and Seahawks. 

Can he coach OFFENSIVE linemen?  :classic_biggrin:  Just kidding!  But it looks like we need more help on the o-line than the d-line.

2 hours ago, dachsie said:

I was kinda wondering about that too - Aranda is a genius - does he need these folks?

You take as many of these guy as you can. If a coach moves on, you can pull one of these guys up. Plus, there is so much more in football, even the Genius Aranda is way too busy. 

• Like 1

20 years ago, Ed Orgeron made a deal with a 375-pound player. Today he hired him. 

Updated Apr 26, 2:57 PMPosted Apr 26, 2:38 PM
ARCHIVED PHOTO - Auburn running back Carnell Williams (24) runs into a brick wall of Kenechi Udeze (94) and Lofa Tatupu (58). Photo by Robin Conn. HVT

HVT

ARCHIVED PHOTO - Auburn running back Carnell Williams (24) runs into a brick wall of Kenechi Udeze (94) and Lofa Tatupu (58). Photo by Robin Conn. HVT

0shares

By Brody Miller, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

The round-faced teenager hopped on a Los Angeles bus alone, spent the $3.17 to get across town and found himself at a Nike camp he wasn’t even invited to.

Kenechi Udeze was a large — too large — defensive lineman who claims he stole an invitation to the camp. He was a force at Verbum Dei High School, but teams stopped recruiting him because of his weight.

He snuck his way into the camp anyway, and then-USC defensive line coach Ed Orgeron came walking over as Udeze arrived. He didn’t even address Udeze.

“Let’s go get on the scale,” Orgeron said.

The two went downstairs and hopped on the scale. The number was jarring: 374.6 pounds. Orgeron, now head coach at LSU, simply stared at him.

“Son, do you realize that you are closer to 400 pounds than to 300 pounds?” Orgeron said.

false

Udeze, who was hired by LSU on Friday (April 26) as a defensive analyst, went on and finished the camp. He wishes now he could tell you he dominated, but he said he hardly made it through the stretching lines he was so out of shape. What he did do, though, was work hard.

Orgeron saw him hustle. He saw him listen to coaching. Orgeron took a liking to him and approached him at the end.

“Are you being recruited?” Orgeron asked.

“No.”

“How did you get to this school?”

“I took the bus and spent $3.17.”

And that was when Orgeron and Udeze made a deal. Orgeron said if he could lose about 30 pounds, USC would have a scholarship waiting for him.

ARCHIVED PHOTO-University of Southern California assistant football coach Ed Orgeron talks to reporters Saturday, Jan. 1, 2005, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., about the upcoming national championship game at the Orange Bowl against Oklahoma. (AP Photo/J. Pat Carter) AP

AP

ARCHIVED PHOTO-University of Southern California assistant football coach Ed Orgeron talks to reporters Saturday, Jan. 1, 2005, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., about the upcoming national championship game at the Orange Bowl against Oklahoma. (AP Photo/J. Pat Carter) AP

Udeze went back home and got to work. He made himself a sandwich for dinner and went on a run that very night. The pounds fell off through his senior season, and as signing day approached he met with Orgeron and went on the scale.

Udeze had lost 43 pounds. He was going to USC.

Other schools had come calling in recent months, but Orgeron was the first. None of the other schools were interested until USC was. He was sticking with Coach O.

“From the very first interaction, I knew he really cared about me,” Udeze said in a Feb. 1 interview with NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

Udeze redshirted his first season at USC, and by the time he played in a game in 2001 he was down 90 pounds to 280.

Throughout his four total seasons — three as a starter — at USC, Udeze and Orgeron became close. While Udeze was becoming a first-team All-American and an eventual first round pick by the Minnesota Vikings, Orgeron spent extra time with him. They’d sit together and go over his scout team film when Udeze was redshirting, and he’d make time when Udeze needed to come into his office to talk.

Nineteen years later, Orgeron and Udeze’s mother, Arie, still keep in touch.

Udeze eventually became a four-year NFL starter before being diagnosed with leukemia in 2008 and retiring in 2009. He jumped around as a strength coach and an NFL assistant before earning the USC defensive line coach job in 2016. He held the position for three years before being fired in November.

LOS ANGELES - SEPTEMBER 28: Defensive end Kenechi Udeze #94 of the USC Trojans runs on the field during the Pacific 10 Conference football game against the Oregon State Beavers on September 28, 2002 at the Los Angeles Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. The Trojans shut out the Beavers 22-0. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Getty Images

LOS ANGELES - SEPTEMBER 28: Defensive end Kenechi Udeze #94 of the USC Trojans runs on the field during the Pacific 10 Conference football game against the Oregon State Beavers on September 28, 2002 at the Los Angeles Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. The Trojans shut out the Beavers 22-0. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Orgeron had his own hills and valleys, going through a failed run as Ole Piss’ head coach and working with the New Orleans Saints, Tennessee and USC again before joining LSU in 2015 and earning the head coach job in 2016.

“Coach O’s a man’s man,” Udeze said. “He’s a guy who comes from a different walk of life than everybody else. He’s persevered through a great amount of adversity, and seeing him where he’s at today, I couldn’t be more proud of the man. I’m thankful that we met way back when.”

In December, as Udeze searched for his next job, he visited Orgeron and LSU at the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix.

He sat in on LSU meetings. He saw how Orgeron runs things, and four months later he’s officially back with Orgeron as a defensive analyst.

Udeze adds to a staff with a sudden California flair, as Orgeron, Udeze, running backs coach Tommie Robinson and offensive line coach James Cregg were all position coaches at USC. He also adds to a staff of 12 analysts that work behind the scenes game planning and helping coaches prepare week to week.

But three months ago, before any of this even seemed to be happening, he was just happy to talk about his coach.

“I learned things I never learned from a man before from Coach O,” he said Feb. 1. “Coach O was that kind of coach for me.”

• Like 1

Damn fine article Dad, I really enjoyed that!!!  I like O, and a story like this one shows why the players like O and will come to LSU and play for him.  That he remains in contact with Udeze's mom some 19 years on is quite impressive!  The best coaches seem to realize they get these young men at a formative stage in their lives, and the best want to teach them about football and help them get to the next level if possible, but they also realize sometimes the young man needs some help with life lessons, whether he goes to the next level or not.  Particularly if fathers are no longer present, maybe have not been for a long time, a coach can have a very big influence, if he is willing to take the time and has a solid contribution to make.  O seems to have that.  Les used to talk about what he got back from coaching, and I recall he mentioned the opportunity to help young men become better football players and better people. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Report: Ed Orgeron adds College Football Hall of Fame coach to LSU staff

SDS STAFF | 48 SECONDS AGO

Ed Orgeron has added to his LSU coaching staff, per The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman.

Orgeron has hired College Football Hall of Fame (inducted 2009) coach John Robinson as a special consultant to the head coach. Robinson and Orgeron have a strong relationship, and Robinson will work directly with Coach O in this role.

Orgeron’s and Robinson’s relationship stems from their association with USC. Robinson coached at USC in three different stints, even becoming the head coach from 1993-97. Robinson has coached at three different colleges, including head coaching stints at USC and UNLV (1999-2004), as well as the Oakland Raiders (assistant 1975) and Los Angeles Rams (head coach 1983-91).

LSU’s head coach, of course, was an assistant at USC (1998-2004 and 2010-13) before becoming the interim head coach

• Like 1

E4u1MfpZ_bigger.jpg

#LSU is hiring Hall of Famer John Robinson as a special consultant to HC Ed Orgeron. They’ve been close for years from their association thru #USC. Robinson’s wife is from New Orleans & is an LSU grad, he told me: "I've missed being around a team. I’m really excited about this

• 3 weeks later...

LSU athletic director hires three staff members while promoting two others

New LSU Athletic Director Scott Woodward has announced the hiring of three new staff members, all of whom have worked with him in the past, as well as two staff promotions. 

Woodward tapped Stephanie Rempe to serve as executive deputy director of athletics, Dan Gaston as senior associate athletic director of facility management and Brandy Douglass as his chief of staff. He also promoted Verge Ausberry to executive deputy director of athletics and Shelly Mullenix to senior associate athletic director of health and wellness. 

Rempe previously worked as deputy athletics director at Texas A&M, where Woodward was the athletic director for four years before the Baton Rouge native returned to his alma mater, replacing Joe Alleva, who stepped down as LSU athletic director in April.

Douglass is coming from Texas A&M where she has spent the past two decades, also serving as athletics chief of staff. 

Gaston, who worked on Woodward’s staff at the University of Washington, comes to LSU from Villanova, where he spent the past year managing facilities and game operations. 

Ausberry and Mullenix, meanwhile, have been part of the LSU athletic department for years, with Ausberry—a former LSU football standout—formerly serving as deputy athletics director since 2015. Mullenix has been part of the LSU athletic training staff since 1997. 

“I have worked with Stephanie, Brandy and Dan before and I know they all bring tremendous experience, professionalism and integrity to the Tiger Family,” Woodward says in a statement. “Verge has played an instrumental role in our success and is well deserving of this promotion and Shelly has been invaluable to so many over the years and now can have a greater impact on all of our student-athletes and coaches.”

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dachsie said:

Rempe is the one I was telling y’all about. She pissed off every coach and athletic  employee at TAMU. Jimbo hated her. This may not be a good thing from what I have heard about her. Time will tell

If that’s a sign, Jimbo hated her, that’s good. 

• 2 years later...

UCF announces hiring of former LSU assistant, member of 2019 staff

Andrew Olson | 6 hours ago

Former LSU passing game coordinator DJ Mangas has found a new gig. UCF announced that Mangas has joined Gus Malzahn’s staff as an analyst.

Mangas, 33, has been in coaching since 2012. He joined LSU’s staff in 2019 as an offensive analyst. After LSU won the national championship, Mangas followed Joe Brady to the Carolina Panthers for the 2020 season. Mangas returned to LSU for the 2021 season, joining Ed Orgeron’s staff as the Tigers’ passing game coordinator. He was not retained by Brian Kelly.

Mangas, a former walk-on wide receiver at William & Mary (2007-11), has always coached on the offensive side of the ball, but his Twitter bio now says “UCF Defensive Analyst.”