Gameday Tigers

Fall Camp 2022

houtiger

Put news about fall camp here.

The players are off after spending the past eight-and-a-half weeks of training with the strength and condition staff.

They’ll report back on August 3rd and have their first practice on the 4th.

The team will go through a seven-day acclamation period where they’ll wear helmets for two days, add shoulder pads for the next three days, go full contact on the sixth day and then rest on the seventh.

They report Wednesday next week !!!  :dancing-chicken::LSU:

• Like 2

What do you think about the LSU QB situation?

We don't have any proven performer.  Brennan played 3 games in 2021 and has been inactive for almost 2 years.  When he played, he was inconsistent.  He threw some pretty balls, and he held the ball too long and took some sacks.  He can run, at least a little.  I worry about him being rusty, not used to making split second full game speed decisions.

Daniels threw 10 TD's and 10 Int's in 2021, completed 65% of his passes for 2381 yards.  There's a reason he left ASU after playing there for 3 years.

Nuss has shown he is aggressive, but was inconsistent last year also.

There is no star, questions abound.  Brennan showed he could run the team, but his lack of experience showed at times.  I don't expect the QB position to be a strength of the team, not like I expect the d-line and wide receivers to play well.  Does Brennan look like a rusty Joe Burrow did in 2018?  Experience counts, and recent experience counts more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

maybe we get the 2019 Daniels?

That would be nice.  I wonder what happened between 2019 and 2021? 

I looked up the coaching staff at ASU year by year.  Herm Edwards has been there since 2018, but there did not appear to be any consistency at the OC position.  The list I saw did not even list an OC in 2021, but Marvin Lewis an old NFL buddy was a "special advisor" like John Robinson was to O.

Then I found this article at the NY Post:

June 14, 2022

It’s safe to say that this college football coach isn’t the biggest fan of Herm Edwards.

In the Arizona State section of Athlon Sports’ college football preview, an anonymous coach ripped apart Edwards and his Sun Devils.

This is the biggest dumpster fire in college football,” the coach said. “It is absolutely mind blowing that Herm is still employed, at least in the mind of the coaching community. Everyone knows it’s a ticking time bomb, but no one knows if it’s going off in a month or a year from now.

“They look like a mid-level SEC program when they get off the bus, and you start to see what they’ve been recruiting. Then you finish the game and it’s like playing a MWC team. They’re wildly inconsistent, they turn the ball over, they make mental errors, it’s all stuff that screams no stability. We’ve played them when they’re locked in and physical, and we’ve played them when they’re just not interested in being there.

Edwards, 68, is entering his fifth year at the helm of Arizona State after an eight-year head coaching career in the NFL. He has led the Sun Devils to a middling 25-18 record and just one bowl game victory, a win over Florida State in the 2019 Sun Bowl.

Last season, Arizona State started out 5-1, only to drop four of its final seven contests.

This program has the best chance of total implosion midseason because there’s no consistency anywhere: not in the coaches, the head coach, or the roster,” the coach continued. “This program is always good on paper but fails to ever really win consistently, and this is another example of it.”

Maybe Daniels was smart to leave, maybe he was frustrated by Edwards poor leadership.

don’t know. I’m not going to pretend to be even slightly educated about Arizona State. 

but Herm Edwards has always been a kinda weird guy. and i don’t care how you slice it, LSU is a huge upgrade from ASU. 

whether or not he wins the job remains to be seen. 

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

What do you think about the LSU QB situation?

We don't have any proven performer.  Brennan played 3 games in 2021 and has been inactive for almost 2 years.  When he played, he was inconsistent.  He threw some pretty balls, and he held the ball too long and took some sacks.  He can run, at least a little.  I worry about him being rusty, not used to making split second full game speed decisions.

"When he played he was inconsistent"?

3 games,  1112 yards, 11 TDs, 3 INTs

Playing behind a complete horse shyte OL and absolutely zero running game, and playing 1/6th of those 3 games with a near career ending injury.

I'll take that inconsistency all day. 

IF he can stay healthy

I think there is a lot of inertia for the "LSU doesn't develop QBs" and "LSU doesn't have depth at QB" sentiments that STOPPED being true after Les Miles left. Personally, I think LSU has some of the best depth at QB right now than we've ever had ever since LSU has been playing football.

LSU always has been and will still continue to be a team whose success is determined by the strength of their defense and their ability to control the ball on offense. This doesn't mean we'll be a '3 yards and a cloud of dust' team. We have the horses to open it up with the best of them but what we'll see more of is strong fundamental play of TEs and WRs in more of a west coast type offense than we will see the spread.

I literally laughed out loud reading one of the LSU prediction articles that has LSU near the middle or towards the bottom of the SEC West. The writer was highlighting the "uncertainty at QB" (which is overplayed, IMHO) and claimed that LSU has zero 'top flight' running backs (this was the part that made me laugh).

Emery was always in the academic doghouse before which prevented him from getting carries...when he did he was pretty productive and he has worked his butt off to re-prioritize his life and get his internal house in order...but I guess that makes him more of a question mark, somehow?

I'm pretty sure Noah Cain was Penn State's leading rusher at some point. According to reports, he's fully healed but because he left Penn State for poor old LSU, he's an unknown commodity?

Tre Bradford was one of the most prized RB recruits in the country. Though he's untested against SEC defenses, I'm pretty sure he has the talent to put up good numbers.

Armoni Goodwin played in just enough games to show flashes of a player waiting to breakout.

The TE position is poised to put up numbers like they did with Thaddeus Moss. Kelly and Denbrock use their TEs to great effectiveness - in both blocking and pass catching. I'm keen to watch Mason Taylor and Kole Taylor. I think they both understand the need to put their foothold on the starting job before more heralded recruits start getting here.

Overall, I think this team has the talent to go toe to toe with the starters of most of our opponents. That doesn't mean that there are positions that don't need to be upgraded, but it is not as dire as the '5th place finish prophets' think it is. Where we fall off temporarily is backup depth, which will take another couple of years to get back to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I think there is a lot of inertia for the "LSU doesn't develop QBs" and "LSU doesn't have depth at QB" sentiments that STOPPED being true after Les Miles left. Personally, I think LSU has some of the best depth at QB right now than we've ever had ever since LSU has been playing football.

well, in reality, we still haven't seen if we can develop a QB.

1st, the guys currently responsible for that haven't been here long enough to know anything about one way or another.

2nd the only QB that's been here long enough hasn't been on the field enough to fairly grade.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

LSU always has been and will still continue to be a team whose success is determined by the strength of their defense and their ability to control the ball on offense. This doesn't mean we'll be a '3 yards and a cloud of dust' team. We have the horses to open it up with the best of them but what we'll see more of is strong fundamental play of TEs and WRs in more of a west coast type offense than we will see the spread.

i'm genuinely anxious to see what style we gravitate towards.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I literally laughed out loud reading one of the LSU prediction articles that has LSU near the middle or towards the bottom of the SEC West. The writer was highlighting the "uncertainty at QB" (which is overplayed, IMHO)

I actually understand this point.
We currently don't even know who will be the QB, which definitely hinders our ability to guess how good we'll be.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

and claimed that LSU has zero 'top flight' running backs (this was the part that made me laugh).

Emery was always in the academic doghouse before which prevented him from getting carries...when he did he was pretty productive and he has worked his butt off to re-prioritize his life and get his internal house in order...but I guess that makes him more of a question mark, somehow?

I'm pretty sure Noah Cain was Penn State's leading rusher at some point. According to reports, he's fully healed but because he left Penn State for poor old LSU, he's an unknown commodity?

Tre Bradford was one of the most prized RB recruits in the country. Though he's untested against SEC defenses, I'm pretty sure he has the talent to put up good numbers.

Armoni Goodwin played in just enough games to show flashes of a player waiting to breakout.

yeah, we got the bodies.

hopefully the OL play improves enough for them to at least have a chance to be successful.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

The TE position is poised to put up numbers like they did with Thaddeus Moss. Kelly and Denbrock use their TEs to great effectiveness - in both blocking and pass catching. I'm keen to watch Mason Taylor and Kole Taylor. I think they both understand the need to put their foothold on the starting job before more heralded recruits start getting here.

we will definitely use them a lot more. Kelly spoke about it at media days that we don't have the type or depth to use them the way he ultimately wants to use them though, so i'm think 2-3 years from now is when we'll really see the TEs shine.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

Overall, I think this team has the talent to go toe to toe with the starters of most of our opponents. That doesn't mean that there are positions that don't need to be upgraded, but it is not as dire as the '5th place finish prophets' think it is. Where we fall off temporarily is backup depth, which will take another couple of years to get back to.

agreed.

i don't think we finish 5th either. but if so, they may not be "dire" and could theoretically still be a top 25 team .
ATM finished 5th last year and was 25th in coaches poll/