Gameday Tigers

Tigers in the NFL - 2022

houtiger

7/29/2022

Houston Texans coach Lovie Smith said he expects rookie cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. to be ready for Week 1.

"Yes, I do," Smith said. "Whenever a player is coming out with a major injury, this ramp-up period, that's what it's for. We're going to ease him into it. He's healthy, seeing him run around. We had him doing a few plays... So he's on schedule."

Stingley, the Texans' No. 3 overall pick, played in only three of LSU's 13 games in 2021 after suffering a Lisfranc injury in his left foot.

He hasn't practiced in team drills throughout OTAs or training camp as the Texans are monitoring his reps. Stingley has participated in other drills as he gets acclimated to the NFL.

But even in limited action, Stingley has impressed his teammates.

"Stingley got that demeanor," Brandin Cooks said. "He reminds me of a guy that I played with, not going to say any names, but that guy was special. Quiet guy, come out here and he's about business."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bengals' QB Joe Burrow
announced the launch of The
Joe Burrow Foundation, a
nonprofit foundation to help
meet the needs of
underprivileged and
underserved families in Ohio
and Louisiana who are working
to overcome food insecurity and
childhood mental health issues.

• Like 2

He should be able to retire with the full payout of his contract.

The NFL's "expert" cleared Tua to play again when he clearly was not ready. Then came what I think is a "re-injury" that happened on a run of the mill sack. The NFLPA in their contract had the right to fire this guy and they exercised that right.

As I stated above, he should be allowed to retire with the full balance of his contract and go watch his brother play.

METAIRIE, La. -- When New Orleans Saintswide receiver Jarvis Landry committed to LSU in 2010, he wasn’t exactly following a long list of modern pass-catchers who thrived at the next level.

That didn’t stop him from signing on immediately.

“I don’t even think about it,” Landry said.

He added: “I didn’t look at it as 'Receiver U.' I looked at it as, if you play there, you have a chance to go to the NFL, play against some of the best talent in the NCAA. … That was really my mindset.”

Landry not only cashed in on the opportunity, but it could be argued he and Odell Beckham Jr. ushered in the modern era of star LSU receivers in the NFL.

Now players like Minnesota Vikings wideout Justin Jefferson and Cincinnati Bengals receiver Ja'Marr Chase are building a new legacy.

And not to mention all four receivers are from Louisiana.

“I wouldn’t say carrying on, I would say we’re starting off,” Chase told ESPN. “I say we are the start of a new legacy, and it started with Odell and Jarvis. We’re just starting it off as us four, and we’re just building the process on out.”

LSU produced a fair share of NFL receivers this century. Josh Reed, Michael Clayton, Dwayne Bowe, Devery Henderson and Brandon LaFell all played at least eight or more seasons in the NFL and carved out nice careers.

But they never got the accolades the current crop of receivers has already accumulated. The 11 Pro Bowls between Landry, Beckham, Jefferson and Chase more than double the total of all the receivers LSU has put in the league.

What used to be a rarity in the NFL now feels like the norm.

“They got the cup running over,” Landry said.

The process might have started with Beckham’s famous one-handed catch against the Dallas Cowboys as a New York Giants rookie in 2014. The catch catapulted him into superstar status and was one of the highlights of a season where he was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year.

It was also a culmination of the hundreds of similar catches he and Landry made on LSU’s practice fields. Beckham and Landry could not only make the tough catches, but in 2013, they also became the first pair of LSU receivers to top 1,000 yards in the same season.

Years later, Jefferson and Chase would do the same thing, one-upping each other with fantastic catches just like their predecessors. But it took Chase a while to decide if he wanted to actually go to LSU.

“I think that was like my sophomore year or junior year [of high school] when I started to look at OBJ and Jarvis at LSU and realize how good they were,” Chase said. "It took me some time to really piggyback on how good they were, but I really didn’t want to go to LSU from the jump. It happened real last-minute for me when I picked my decision."

Jefferson and Chase eventually broke Beckham and Landry’s records, with both eclipsing 1,500 receiving yards during the 2019 national championship season.

“When Jarvis and Odell were there, they competed with each other to try to outdo one another … and I think that's how me and Ja'Marr was,” Jefferson told ESPN. “Just being with each other, competing with each other every single day in practice, it kind of made us try to be better than one another and definitely it shows coming into the league and performing the way we did.”

Jefferson currently leads the NFL with 547 receiving yards -- with 147 of those yards coming in a win against the Saints in London during Week 4.

Chase was the 2021 Offensive Rookie of the Year, but this season (343 yards and two touchdowns) he hasn’t quite put up the same numbers he did through five games last season (456 yards and five touchdowns). He’ll still be getting a warm welcome from the local crowd when the Saints (2-3) host the Bengals (2-3) on Sunday (1 p.m. ET, Fox), though.

It’ll be Chase’s first game back in the Caesar’s Superdome since he caught nine passes for 221 yards and two touchdowns from then quarterback Joe Burrow -- who is now the starter for the Bengals -- in LSU’s win over Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship in 2020.

He’ll also be drawing a lot of attention from the Saints defense, which could potentially be shorthanded with cornerback Marshon Lattimorenursing an abdomen injury.

“I think Ja’Marr Chase is one of the better receivers in our league,” Saints coach Dennis Allen said. “He’s exceptional in terms of run after catch.”

When asked to pinpoint the reason for the lack of professional success, Landry pointed to an offense mostly built around the run.

“[Former LSU passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach] Joe Brady comes along with Joe Burrow, and they throw the ball way [more than we did] and that’s when I think it became more enticing to be like ‘Oh, they throw the ball over there,'” Landry said.

Said former LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, now with the Vikings: “You saw when you got Joe in there, now they have turned into Receiver U. It's all about the quarterback and the playcaller.”

It was more a product of the situation than the lack of athletes, Peterson said.

“They always had receivers there. … I always thought we had quarterbacks that could throw the ball,” Peterson told ESPN. “So I don't know if it was the offensive coordinator, playcaller, the trust factor. I couldn't tell you what it was. But we always had great athletes around the board. It's just a matter of time of getting the right quarterback to get those guys the ball.”

Peterson, who returned kicks and played both running back and defensive back in high school, lamented never getting offensive snaps in college.

“[Former LSU coach] Les Miles flirted with it a little bit. Still wish I had the opportunity to get a couple of offensive snaps, but he waited until my junior year to at least give me a punt return snap,” Peterson said. “And the rest was history after that. But I begged him, since my freshman year, but in his defense, we did have Trindon Holliday, one of the fastest guys in college football history. So I guess I had to wait my turn.”

With the recent success of LSU’s wideouts, maybe things would be different if Peterson played at LSU today.

“I think, for sure, I would probably be on the offensive side of the ball, especially with what I was able to do in high school,” Peterson said.

• Like 2

Ja'Marr Chase explains how Joe Burrow got the jersey he wore in Playoff title game at LSU

Cory Nightingale | 8 hours ago

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow couldn’t help himself in his return to his former dome of glory.

Before the LSU legend warmed up with his teammates for Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints, played at the same Superdome where he led the Tigers to the 2019 national championship, Burrow decided to do something that paid tribute to his time in Baton Rouge.

Burrow wore the No. 1 LSU jersey of his current Bengals No. 1 receiver Ja’Marr Chase, who teamed with Burrow to help the Tigers win that national title with a victory over Clemson in New Orleans. In that game at the Superdome, Burrow threw for 463 yards with 6 total touchdowns, 5 passing, in leading LSU to a 42–25 victory over the Tigers.

Burrow finished that magical 2019 season with 60 passing touchdowns, which broke the single-season FBS record. He also threw for over 5,600 yards in leading the Tigers to a perfect 15-0 record and captured the Heisman Trophy.

And Burrow made a little more Superdome magic with Chase on Sunday, too.

Burrow threw for exactly 300 yards with 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, and he added a rushing touchdown in a 30-26 victory over the Saints. And 2 of those touchdown passes went to — you guessed it — Chase, who hauled in 7 catches for 132 yards on the day, including TDs of 15 and 60 yards. The latter was the game-winning score with 1:57 left in the game that completed the Bengals’ comeback from a 26-21 deficit.

Devery Henderson, Fred McAfee blaze speedy trails from small towns to Saints Hall of Fame

saints_ek_589.jpg
New Orleans Saints running back Fred McAfee celebrates a special-teams touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept 8, 2002, in Tampa, Fla. McAfee, a sixth-round draft pick in 1991, spent 10 seasons with the Saints and 16 seasons in the NFL. STAFF FILE PHOTO

spt SuperBowl BF
Advocate staff photo by BILL FEIG. Photo shot on 2/07/10 --- Trax #00020377a --- Slug: SuperBowl --- New Orleans Saints wide receiver Devery Henderson (19) is pulled down by Indianapolis Colts cornerback Jacob Lacey (27) during the first half of Super Bowl XLIV in Miami Gardens, Fla., Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010. BILL FEIG

Published Oct 28, 2022 at 4:07 pm | Updated Oct 28, 2022 at 5:22 pm

Fred McAfee always has thought about opening a restaurant. He’d call it Miss Louisa’s.

The thought behind that name?

“(The name) is supposed to be the best of Mississippi and the best of Louisiana,” McAfee said. “I feel like a lot of great people, food, activities, cultures come from small towns. Some people don’t care to look. But Devery (Henderson) and I just embody all of that at the same time.”

That idea seemed quite fitting Friday.

McAfee, who grew up in Philadelphia, Mississippi, and Henderson, an Opelousas native, were inducted into the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame at a ceremony held at Jefferson Orleans north in Metairie. Longtime trainer Kevin Mangum — also from a small town (Tylertown, Mississippi) — also was inducted as the recipient of the Joe Gemelli "Fleur de Lis" award for his vast contributions to the organization.

McAfee — or Fast Freddie, as he is called by many — and Henderson were known for their speed. While they both still debate who was the fastest, the one thing they can agree on is just what their small-town roots mean to them.

“I wouldn’t be up here without my experiences and upbringing and everything from Opelousas, Louisiana,” Henderson said.

Henderson went from Opelousas to LSU, where his highlights included catching the pass known as the "Blue Grass Miracle" in a last-second win over Kentucky.

He was selected by the Saints in the second round of the 2004 draft. He spent nine seasons with the franchise and was one of the league’s most dangerous big-play threats. He averaged 18.1 yards per catch from 2006-12, the highest total in the league. His 17.9 ypc during his career is still a franchise record. He still holds the team record for yards per catch in a single season: 24.8 ypc in 2008.

Former Saints assistant coach Curtis Johnson, who introduced Henderson, said the things Henderson did when he wasn’t catching the ball were just as meaningful.

“The hardest-working receiver, the best blocker and the most unselfish player,” Johnson said. “An incredible human being. This young man did everything that I told him to.”

McAfee played 10 seasons in New Orleans over two different stints (1991-93 and 2000-06). A sixth-round draft choice from Division II Mississippi College in 1991, the running back was known more for his stellar play on special teams. He was a first-team All-Pro selection and a Pro Bowler in 2002. He’s still with the team as vice president of player engagement.

For both McAfee and Henderson, football took them further than they ever envisioned. For Henderson, it was a chance to play for the team he grew up rooting for.

“It was a great experience, not only to be from Opelousas, but to get to stay in state and represent the great state of Louisiana,” Henderson said.

For McAfee, football was a chance to go to college. His high school career started as a pole vaulter and a member of the band. After not being satisfied that he was playing a cowbell in the band, he turned to football.

Now he is a member of the Saints Hall of Fame.

“Dare to dream,” McAfee said. “I went to a small high school, small college. You just have to dream and you can do anything.”

• 2 weeks later...

Father of NFL linebacker Devin White dies suddenly after being incarcerated in Natchitoches jail

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

Published: Nov. 14, 2022 at 12:39 PM CST|Updated: Nov. 14, 2022 at 12:52 PM CST

NATCHITOCHES PARISH, La. (KSLA) - The Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of an inmate.

Sheriff Stuart Wright says on Nov. 10, Carlos Thomas, 45, was taken to Natchitoches Regional Medical Center after complaining about severe back pain. Thomas suddenly became unresponsive while in the ambulance, the sheriff’s office says. Life-saving efforts were performed, but were unsuccessful. Thomas was pronounced dead a short time later.

Thomas is the father of Tampa Bay Bucs linebacker, Devin White, who is from Springhill, La., and went to LSU. White posted about his father’s death on Facebook on Nov. 11.

294957881_2175126759335328_5863934790328
T1oMBrgJQCd.png

Devin White
on Friday

Carlos Thomas Daddy you did it again, I’m selfish because I love you so much, I can’t even feel anything right now, I probably never will, all the stuff we did, all the talks, the hard times and the good times, I want ever forget, we had so much more to accomplish, you gave me the strenght, the motivation to keep attacking, you believed I was the best & I strived off that, making my parents proud & enjoying life, we went from Rags to Riches but it don’t mean nun if I can’t enjoy it with you, I never imagine you not being here, This can’t be real nor can it be the life I deserve, my eyes are heavy, my heart is broken, 💔 I just want my daddy, my real life twin ! I promise I will finish the job, you know what it is, I love you with everything in me ! I Just ran outta time 🧎🏾

May be an image of 2 people, child, people standing and outdoors
May be an image of 2 people
May be an image of 1 person and indoor
May be an image of 1 person
May be an image of 15 people, beard and people standing

Thomas was brought to Natchitoches back on Oct. 14 by the U.S. Marshals Service to await trial on previous federal charges.

An autopsy is being performed to verify Thomas’ official cause of death; those results are pending.

Wide receiver JUSTIN JEFFERSON of the Minnesota Vikings, linebacker DEVIN WHITE of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and kicker JOEY SLYE of the Washington Commanders are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 10 (November 10, 13-14).

OFFENSE: WR JUSTIN JEFFERSON, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Jefferson recorded 10 receptions for a career-high 193 receiving yards and a touchdown in Minnesota’s thrilling overtime victory over Buffalo. It marked the most receiving yards by any player in the league in Week 10 and included a key, 32-yard acrobatic reception on fourth-and-18 with two minutes remaining in regulation.

This is the second-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Jefferson, also earning the honor in Week 11 of the 2021 season. He joins Pro Football Hall of Famers Cris Carter and Randy Moss as the only Vikings wide receivers to win the award multiple times.

He joins former college teammate Ja’Marr Chase as the only LSU wide receivers to win the award twice.  

DEFENSE: LB DEVIN WHITE, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

White totaled nine tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble in Tampa Bay’s victory over Seattle in the first-ever NFL regular-season game in Germany. He was the only player in the NFC to record two sacks and a forced fumble in Week 10.    

This is the third-career Defensive Player of the Week for White and first this season:

2020: Weeks 7, 15

2022: Week 10

He becomes the third Tampa Bay linebacker to earn the honor at least three times, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks (six-time winner) and Hardy Nickerson (three-time winner).

• Like 2