Gameday Tigers

LSU Fall Camp (2022)

Nutriaitch

Some of the folks that I met up with yesterday, had a few things to talk about after seeing some practices. 

The QB race is tighter than most would figure. Good shot to see both in the first game. Much of the same with RB. As they get closer to game day. WR is a loaded position. OL much of the same, they want the 5 best on the field, Bradford, Campbell and Dellinger are three for sure. Wire, Frazier and Shorts are deep in the mix. Emery Jones continues to impress. Wire has the most playing time at LSU. He can play Guard or Tackle. Kelly likes to get the most out of his OL, when at ND from 2010, he’s had 12 drafted, 7 of them in the first and 2nd rounds. Much of the same with the TE position. During his time at ND he’s had 8 drafted, we’ve had 2.

As for Denbrock, a number of formations, use of personnel, motion before the snap, once the ball is snapped, lots of moving parts. Denbrock at Cincy never had a top 25 recruiting class, but his time spent there finished 48-15, taking over a 4-8 team. Looking at what he’s done over the years, adapting his offense to personal. He likes to throw on first down, over 50% of the time. 

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Check out today's practice highlights and my practice report! Here are my five takeaways from today!

1. LSU continues shuffling on the offensive line.
2. A two man battle at quarterback is confirmed.
3. John Emery's status for Florida State is uncertain.
4. The Taylor duo at tight end is really showing out.
5. The pieces for the starting defense are coming together.

https://gridironfootballusa.com/lsu-fall-practice-14-report/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LSU football running back John Emery Jr. has been suspended for the first two games of the 2022 season for academic issues stemming from his season-long suspension in 2021, according to The Athletic.

Emery, according to The Athletic, is appealing the suspension. LSU's first two games are against Florida State on Sept. 4 and Southern on Sept. 10. 

LSU coach Brian Kelly told reporters after practice on Saturday that he could not comment on Emery's status for the Tigers' season opener because of the Buckley Amendment, which preserves the privacy of student records.

The Athletic also reported that cornerback Raydarious Jones has been suspended for the entire season because of academic issues.

About 8 true freshmen will be in the 2 deep area of the depth chart and should see significant playing time and contribute significantly during games. This is not just a byproduct of necessity, but speaks to the talent these kids have and the work they've put in the weight room, the film room, and during practice.

This not only means we get to see these guys play early and often, but it also bodes very well for a year or two down the road as long as the players stay healthy and remain on the team. These guys will be battle hardened in short order.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herb said:

About 8 true freshmen will be in the 2 deep area of the depth chart and should see significant playing time and contribute significantly during games.

Will Campbell starts at left tackle.  Does Mason Taylor start at tight end, I don't know but sounds like he's in the top 2.  Emory Jones may be in the two deep OL.  Harold Perkins, I don't think he's in the two deep yet, but may be by the end of the season.  BK said he's going to play, needs to get experience.  BK had a good football word for Perkins, said he arrives at the play, I forgot the word, something meaning intensity or explosion, good word if anyone remembers.

Bo Bordelon gets some mention from BK, but not much.  Same for Fitzgerald West at center.

Laterance Welch gets mention at corner, he will play, but I doubt in the 2-deep roster.  Same with Quincy Wiggins on the DL, but he might crack the 2 deep.

Who you got?

Edited:  Harold Perkins arrives with "suddenness"?

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Just now, houtiger said:

Will Campbell starts at left tackle.  Does Mason Taylor start at tight end, I don't know but sounds like he's in the top 2.  Emory Jones may be in the two deep OL.  Harold Perkins, I don't think he's in the two deep yet, but may be by the end of the season.  BK said he's going to play, needs to get experience.  BK had a good football word for Perkins, said he arrives at the play, I forgot the word, something meaning intensity or explosion, good word if anyone remembers.

Bo Bordelon gets some mention from BK, but not much.  Same for Fitzgerald West at center.

Laterance Welch gets mention at corner, he will play, but I doubt in the 2-deep roster.  Same with Quincy Wiggins on the DL, but he might crack the 2 deep.

Who you got?

Edited:  Harold Perkins arrives with "suddenness"?

Just for fun, this is from texags.com.  Maybe dachsie has some info, or rumor?

Quarterback: Always save the best for last, right? The bet here is Haynes King gets the nod over Max Johnson and Conner Weigman. King has three years of experience in Fisher’s system. He also has great speed which creates versatility and interesting possibilities. Fisher chose King as his starter last season. Expect him to choose King again.

• Like 2

• Will Campbell
  • Harold Perkins
  • Laterrance Welch
  • Jaelen Davis-Robertson
  • Mason Taylor
  • Emery Jones
  • DeMario Tolan
  • Quincy Wiggins

All of the guys above have been mentioned by Kelly as players he feels will see significant playing time.

• Like 2

I heard an LSU coach talking about Malik Nabors and why he is an emerging star.  He said Nabors has incredibly strong hands and he catches the ball way out away from his body.  He said if you're a DB trying to guard him and Nabors goes back toward the QB and is between you and the QB, when he catches the ball way in front of his body, you don't have a chance to knock it away.  You're stuck on his back and the ball won't get close to you.  Geaux Malik.

• Like 4

Here are my takeaways from today's practice.

1. Both Garrett Nussmeier and Jayden Daniels split first team reps.
2. The starting five offensive line today is most likely going to be the combination that you see starting out against Florida State.
3. Malik Nabers did not practice today.
4. Jack Bech looks ready to go.
5. For going through an entire fall, the team is considerably healthy and ready to go.

Practice Highlights: