Gameday Tigers

Game Topic: LSU vs Florida State (2022) … 6:30pm … ABC

Nutriaitch

24 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I am not saying we used the wrong QB, but i would have liked to see Nussmeier.

I have no desire to watch Nuss carried off the field on a stretcher. That's what likely happens if he played last night.
Brennan would have had body parts amputated if he was here and played.

24 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Not sure what to think about Kayson - he missed a couple of doozies but he did catch what was thrown to him later in the game.

no comment on him.

27 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Not sure what to think about Kayson - he missed a couple of doozies but he did catch what was thrown to him later in the game.

He had 4 drops, two were TDs

And FWIW, wasn't meaning you when talking about the QBs.  But Daniels absolutely gave us the best chance to win, which is the point.  I didn't care for how quickly he took off in the first half, but...when he ran, it was ALWAYS a positive gain.  He's an elite runner.  He didn't HURT the team by running.  Without his running, we had 25 yds rushing as a team.

The OL should continue to improve.  The left side improved dramatically as the game went on.  On one of Kayson's drops in the 2nd half, Will Campbell pushed his man back the opposite way and pancaked his ass.  He's going to be great.

Along with the OL, the play calling sucked absolute ass in the first half

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I've seen a lot of folks elsewhere say we played the wrong QB.  Wondering if anyone on this board can tell me what they've seen of Nuss that indicates he would've done better than Jayden Daniels.  

Agree JD was a one read QB in the first half, no doubt.  There's always the possibility of illusions in these reviews.  The more up tempo pace seemed to help Daniels and in fact the whole offense.  However, was that because FSU was basically playing "prevent" defense in the 4th quarter?  IDK, it's a chicken or egg type question.  I do know JD is likely more use to a faster tempo coming from California (high school) and the PAC 12 (college)

Kelly named the correct starter. I think Daniels made chicken salad out of chicken doo-doo and - as discussed elsewhere - we should have gone for a 2 pt conversion and the win.

Don't know who those fans are elsewhere but they're dead wrong. If we had next year's OL Nuss might be effective with protection, but not with this year's OL.

I loved the up tempo offense as it prevented FSU from rotating in depth.  Wish we would have played it the entire 2nd half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Wondering if anyone on this board can tell me what they've seen of Nuss that indicates he would've done better than Jayden Daniels.  

Of course we can't, we haven't seen Nuss since last year.  The question is, does he see the field better than JD, and can he deliver the ball on time?  I hope we see Nuss against Southern and can see what he can do.  He was not ready last year, how much has he developed since then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, houtiger said:

Of course we can't, we haven't seen Nuss since last year.  The question is, does he see the field better than JD, and can he deliver the ball on time?  I hope we see Nuss against Southern and can see what he can do.  He was not ready last year, how much has he developed since then?

It's a fair question, and you're right, we have no clue.  That's what I mean though.  You're not saying we played the wrong QB.  You're asking fair questions. 

I think they knew the OL was an issue and Daniels legs might win the game.  They damn near did. Also, Nuss has that gunslinger mentality.  I like it.  I like Nuss.  I think he should've played more last season.  But Daniels had zero turnovers and that's a big deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I just read something interesting.  Did the pocket collapse because Jayden didnt step into it and chose to run t0o fast?  I would be interested to hear what you who watch the game again think.

That's a good question.  Jayden's perception of his protection may be influenced by what he sees in practice, and by what he sees as the play is developing.

At least the defense didn't give up uncovered receivers running free in the secondary.  They made them work for their points.  Jay Ward made plays.  I was disappointed on an attempted TD pass by FSU, Sage Ryan was covering, he was close but the receiver was open and the QB led him too much.  Sage celebrated like he had done something, but he didn't do anything special, the QB just missed.  I see DB's do that but I don't think the celebration is warranted.  If you make a great play, then celebrate a little.

23 minutes ago, houtiger said:

At least the defense didn't give up uncovered receivers running free in the secondary. 

did you not see the first TD?
Or every pass in middle of field with nobody in same zipcode as receiver?

Jay Ward made plays. 

that's my dawg!

Sage celebrated like he had done something, but he didn't do anything special,

he's a DB.

That's what we do.

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

He needs an attitude adjustment.  It's obvious to everyone but him.

• Like 2

Grading Jayden Daniels' First Start For The Tigers

LSU's QB1 was impressive at times, showcasing his dynamic playmaking ability

Despite the Tigers starting off the season 0-1, Tiger fans had the chance to see what starting quarterback Jayden Daniels is capable of. With a struggling offensive line and limited time to get plays going, Daniels made the most of his chances.

Though it wasn’t a flawless showing by any means. Daniels had his fair share of mistakes Sunday night. Whether it be holding the ball too long or not getting the ball into his playmakers hands, the first-year Tiger certainly had a few hiccups against Florida State. 

Daniels won the starting quarterback job over redshirt freshman Garrett Nussmeier in one of the more competitive battles in the country. It was seemingly neck and neck for the last few months with Daniels ultimately separating himself towards the backend of camp.

Following Sunday night’s game, the Tigers’ QB1 spoke on the competition and how he stayed true to himself throughout the process. 

“Go out there being me everyday. Being consistent and showing that I can lead this team,” Daniels said. “Everything else, that's the decision coaches decided upon. For me it's just going out there being that consistent guy that's going to come to work everyday, no matter what kind of day I'm having that day. But if you want to be a quarterback at this level, you have to put your feelings aside and you have to show the guys you can be consistent each and every day.”

For Daniels’ first career start with LSU, he went 26-for-35 passing with 209 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions. Where he really opened the eyes of Tiger fans was his ability on the ground. The dual threat signal-caller also tallied 16 rushes for 114 yards.

The masterpiece Daniels put together in the fourth quarter was remarkable. The Arizona State transfer went 14-for-18 with 138 yards and two touchdowns in the final frame. He spoke on the up-tempo style of play in the fourth quarter and how it benefited this offense greatly.

“That's what the coaches want,” Daniels said. “Like I said, I didn't do a good enough job in the first half keeping the pace and keeping that tempo. That's what the coaches want, that's what the offensive staff wants, we want to push the tempo and execute at a high level though.”

It was a rollercoaster ride for this offense through much of the season opener. With Daniels making something out of nothing on most plays, it was a struggle to get the ball to their weapons consistently. Namely All-American wide receiver Kayshon Boutte. 

Following the game, Daniels addressed the miscommunication with Boutte and their conversation on the field following a missed opportunity. 

“I always talk to Kayshon. That's my little brother,” Daniels said. “It was a conversation we had on the sidelines after the game. He's going to bounce back. Everyone knows what he can do. Everyone in the world knows what he can do. Like I said, I'm here for him and he's here for me. 

“I know what you're talking about. He was just seeing something different than I was seeing so we’ll look back at it and get it cleaned up.”

Now, the Tigers transition to game week against the Southern Jaguars. Daniels’ maturity is a piece of his game this program loves most and it’ll be important he uplifts this group as they put the season opener behind them.

As for Daniels' overall play, it was a mixture of highlight reel plays and a few critical errors, but the Arizona State transfer certainly showed fight and growth through all four quarters. 

Kelly reiterated during his Tuesday press conference that this is Daniels’ job and this program will continue working to improve their offensive sets and it starts this week in preparation for Southern in the home opener. 

• Like 1

Without the numerous ST gaffes, I think the Tigahs win the game going away.  Yes, the OL needs to work on communication ….. way too many MA’s …. Mebbe it was the noise level, dunno. It’s the same problem I see at AU too … at least, on passing downs. Lack of cohesion due to a lack of communication.

LSU will beat Auburn this year, and our weak OL will be the reason, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

Without the numerous ST gaffes, I think the Tigahs win the game going away.  Yes, the OL needs to work on communication ….. way too many MA’s …. Mebbe it was the noise level, dunno. It’s the same problem I see at AU too … at least, on passing downs. Lack of cohesion due to a lack of communication.

LSU will beat Auburn this year, and our weak OL will be the reason, IMO.

Auburn pulled TJ, do you think that's permanent?  He threw 2 int's, his replacement threw none.

12 hours ago, houtiger said:

Auburn pulled TJ, do you think that's permanent?  He threw 2 int's, his replacement threw none.

I don't think it's permanent, and it appears that Harsin is giving TJ every opportunity to take the reins because he is developing and improving under Harsin's tutelage. The difficulty is that Ashford is significantly more mobile, more of a true dual-threat, than what TJ's athletic capabilities can deliver.   I suspect it will come down to turnovers .... if TJ can avoid telegraphing his receivers, and make pocket throws that move the chains, he's in good shape.  If he turns it over, Ashford is a solid replacement with the wheels to make it stick.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

I don't think it's permanent, and it appears that Harsin is giving TJ every opportunity to take the reins because he is developing and improving under Harsin's tutelage. The difficulty is that Ashford is significantly more mobile, more of a true dual-threat, than what TJ's athletic capabilities can deliver.   I suspect it will come down to turnovers .... if TJ can avoid telegraphing his receivers, and make pocket throws that move the chains, he's in good shape.  If he turns it over, Ashford is a solid replacement with the wheels to make it stick.  

does Ashford also look like a 90s era alt/pop singing chick?

• Haha 1

• Nutriaitch changed the title to Game Topic: LSU vs Florida State (2022) … 6:30pm … ABC
  • Nutriaitch unpinned this topic