Gameday Tigers

Other games of interest - 2022

houtiger

In a stunning move, Wisconsin has reportedly fired head football coach Paul Chryst. 

The Badgers have struggled this season, starting 2-3 including a blowout loss to Illinois on Saturday. It seemed like the heat was rising on Chryst, but not so much that he'd get axed with more than half of the schedule remaining.

• Like 1

Colorado fired football coach Karl Dorrell on Sunday in the wake of the Buffaloes' 0-5 start to the 2022 season, the university announced Sunday.

The school also dismissed defensive coordinator Chris Wilson.

Offensive coordinator Mike Sanford will serve as interim coach, the school announced. Sanford is the former head coach at Western Kentucky, where he went 9-16 in two seasons (2017-18).

Defensive line coach Gerald Chatman was named the interim defensive coordinator.

Texas A&M starting quarterback Max Johnson has a broken bone in his throwing hand, according to a report from ESPN’s Ian Fitzsimmons.

Johnson suffered the injury in the 42–24 loss to Mississippi State last Saturday, and will be out indefinitely. 

The Aggies were relying on Johnson to continue manning the quarterback position for a struggling Texas A&M offense. Johnson took over the starting job from Haynes King after two games in September. Johnson, who transferred to Texas A&M from LSU in the offseason, has thrown for 517 yards and three touchdowns in four games this season for the Aggies.

Texas A&M QB Max Johnson will reportedly be sidelined for the foreseeable future, potentially missing the rest of the 2022 season.

Ian Fitzsimmons of ESPN Radio reports that Johnson is dealing with a broken bone in his throwing hand. Billy Liucci of TexAgs chimed in, adding that former starter Haynes King will get the nod in Tuscaloosa for Saturday’s game at No. 1 Alabama. Liucci adds that true freshman Conner Weigman could also see playing time.

• Like 1

Former Baylor Coach Matt Rhule Fired by Carolina Panthers

5ac1fb1101f0f510a56472aac64a23dc?s=50&d=
Posted on October 10, 2022
NCAA Football: Sugar Bowl-Georgia vs Baylor

The Carolina Panthers and Matt Rhule parted ways on Monday after they fell to 1-4 with a 37-15 home loss to San Francisco on Sunday.

In two-plus seasons, Rhule was 11-27 (.289) and just never got things rolling in the National Football League. Rhule, 47, was known for his teams finding success in year three, as both Temple and Baylor found new heights in their third year under his leadership. That never translated in the NFL and now he is without a job.

• 2 weeks later...

So happy its not us. Form TexAgs

We got bullied by his agent after aa season when we won a NY6 and LSU was about to can their coach. We didn't have the stones to say no, deliver consistently then we'll talk.

In that case, LSU got the better of us. Again.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3325263

There is also a thread on there about four of their "star" freshman getting indefinitely suspended for smoking weed in the locker room.

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

The Aggies - We didn't have the stones to say no, deliver consistently then we'll talk.

LSU didn't call aTm and say anything to them.  The aggies did it to themselves, without any help or interference from LSU.  Based on Jimbo's last several years at FSU and his first 4 years in aggieland, it was idiotic for them to give him a 4 year extension on a contract with 6 years to run, and a $2 million a year raise to $9 mill a year, based on one really good game, his upset win over Gumps in 2021.

Jimbo is over compensated, for too long, and he doesn't have any need to push for excellence.  Those very long contracts, fully guaranteed, eliminate the need to push for excellence.  With a shorter contract, you have to keep pushing for excellence, so you can EARN your extension. 

Did Mich. State overpay Mel Tucker, 10 year $95 million contract, he's in year 1, and he's 3 - 4 with wins over Western Mich., Akron, and Wisconsin who fired their head coach (with 5 years left on his contract at $5.2 million per year).

I don't know what the boosters are saying to the AD's, but the booster are supposed to be good businessmen.  Ten year, fully guaranteed contracts are a poor business deal.

I'll agree with Nootch, Dabo has earned it.  Interestingly, BK may end up worth it, but he had a very good track record of success.

42 minutes ago, houtiger said:

LSU didn't call aTm and say anything to them.  The aggies did it to themselves, without any help or interference from LSU.  Based on Jimbo's last several years at FSU

He had 1 bad season at FSU

his last 5 years were:

14-0 with a National Championship
13-1 with a loss in playoffs
10-3 with a NY6 Bowl appearance
5-6

and his first 4 years in aggieland,

He got the extension before the 2021 season even kicked off, so you can only count his first 3.

and in year three he led them to their best finish since 1939.
every school in America would have extended him.

Jimbo is over compensated, for too long, and he doesn't have any need to push for excellence.  Those very long contracts, fully guaranteed, eliminate the need to push for excellence.  With a shorter contract, you have to keep pushing for excellence, so you can EARN your extension. 

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion.

the problem is everybody offers those long term deals. So if you don't, you'll basically lose your coach anytime anyone worth a damn has an opening.

might still be a bit early to judge.
but he does have an 11 win season already up there.

I don't know what the boosters are saying to the AD's, but the booster are supposed to be good businessmen.  Ten year, fully guaranteed contracts are a poor business deal.

I'll agree with Nootch, Dabo has earned it.  Interestingly, BK may end up worth it, but he had a very good track record of success.

it's where the market has been set.

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

his last 5 years were:

14-0 with a National Championship
13-1 with a loss in playoffs
5-6

You're only as good as your last "at bat".   That 5-6 is a huge red flag.  He was going through a divorce, red flag.  It doesn't say "don't hire him", but it does say "don't give him a 10 year deal at 7 mil a year, all guaranteed.  I'd offer him a 5 - 7 year deal, but max of 7. 

He got the extension before the 2021 season even kicked off, so you can only count his first 3.

and in year three he led them to their best finish since 1939.
every school in America would have extended him.

9-4, 8-5, 9-1.  With seven years remaining on his contract, to give him a three year extension and 2 mil a year raise to 9 mil a year, no I would say MOST schools in america, or shall I say all of the ones with a shred of business sense, would NOT have extended him.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Anyone we might want?

Yeah, anyone that is better than anyone we have starting now.

We're starting some guys that in other years would be 2nd string, so anyone that improve our depth should be a target.

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

You're only as good as your last "at bat".   That 5-6 is a huge red flag.  He was going through a divorce, red flag.  It doesn't say "don't hire him", but it does say "don't give him a 10 year deal at 7 mil a year, all guaranteed.  I'd offer him a 5 - 7 year deal, but max of 7. 

I'm not defending Jimbo.

I'm just arguing with you  because you said "several years"  :rofl:

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

I would say MOST schools in america, or shall I say all of the ones with a shred of business sense, would NOT have extended him.

go look at the people that got extensions recently and revisit this sentence.

Mel Tucker had a 3 year record of:

5-7 (at Colorado)
2-5
11-2

he got a 10 year extension for that, and doubled his annual salary.

O got a significant raise and extension after 2018. A season that was practically a clone of the one that got his predecessor fired.

in 2017, Gus Malzahn got a seven year extension and a bump from 4.5 to a hair over 7 for going: 8-5 ; 7-6 ; 8-5 ; 10-4

and those are just off top head and not actually doing much diggin

if you look around, I think you will find that the vast majority of ADs are actually pretty stupid.

Mel Tucker had a 3 year record of:

5-7 (at Colorado)
2-5
11-2

he got a 10 year extension for that, and doubled his annual salary.

So, Mich St brought Tucker in to replace the last failed coach, and he inherits a 2-5 club.  The next season he turns them into a 11-2 club, pretty damn skippy with no rebuilding period.  I might give him an extension of 2 years and bump up his salary a bit to be more competitive, but a 10 year extension, that's ridiculous, and if you think you have to bump his salary by a mil a year, ok.  Turn in a great season and we can talk some more.  Now he's 3-4 with wins over W. Michigan, Akron and Wisky.  How smart does that look now?

in 2017, Gus Malzahn got a seven year extension and a bump from 4.5 to a hair over 7 for going: 8-5 ; 7-6 ; 8-5 ; 10-4

and those are just off top head and not actually doing much diggin

if you look around, I think you will find that the vast majority of ADs are actually pretty stupid.

That has been my point all along.  The more traditional contracts, 4 years for a less proven coach, maybe a coordinator taking a head job, that makes sense.  I could see 5-7 years for a proven head coach.  On extensions, I don't see any reason to have a coach in place get extended so he has more than 5 years to go on his contract, except in rare cases, Saban and Swinny being two, and ironically, BK being another in order to blast him out of ND.  Face it, he was entrenched at a high profile program, had demonstrated enduring success and to get him to leave that, you were going to have to open the kitty.  I didn't know when he arrived if he would be worth it, but I'm starting to think he may be worth it.

35 minutes ago, houtiger said:

So, Mich St brought Tucker in to replace the last failed coach, and he inherits a 2-5 club.  The next season he turns them into a 11-2 club, pretty damn skippy with no rebuilding period.  I might give him an extension of 2 years and bump up his salary a bit to be more competitive, but a 10 year extension, that's ridiculous, and if you think you have to bump his salary by a mil a year, ok.  Turn in a great season and we can talk some more.  Now he's 3-4 with wins over W. Michigan, Akron and Wisky.  How smart does that look now?

Here is how college football works at this level:

LSU can set the market for a coach.  Whatever they want to pay, they can.  Michigan St? not much.  they have a ceiling.

Is Mel Tucker worth that ceiling? I don't know.

But if he's on LSU's list, then maybe he is worth it.

If Michigan St (who last time they lost a coach to LSU his name was Nick Saban) can honestly say "we stepped up and made sure LSU didn't steal the next guy from us" and that lands them 2-3 more highly ranked recruits, then it's worth it to them.

Doesn't matter what you or me think Mel Tucker is worth.  It only matters that Mich State can say they stepped up to the plate and offered a number LSU didn't.

35 minutes ago, houtiger said:

That has been my point all along.  The more traditional contracts, 4 years for a less proven coach, maybe a coordinator taking a head job, that makes sense.  I could see 5-7 years for a proven head coach.  On extensions, I don't see any reason to have a coach in place get extended so he has more than 5 years to go on his contract, except in rare cases, Saban and Swinny being two, and ironically, BK being another in order to blast him out of ND.  Face it, he was entrenched at a high profile program, had demonstrated enduring success and to get him to leave that, you were going to have to open the kitty.  I didn't know when he arrived if he would be worth it, but I'm starting to think he may be worth it.

I get it and understand (and actually agree) with your point.

but here is how reality works. Just using Jimbo as an example

If A&M says that what you did in years 1-3 is worth "X" and LSU says well, we're wiling to pay "Y" to take him from you, the A&M has no choice buit to pay "Y" at a minimum to keep him. Even if they feel he is only worth "X" and not "Y".  Because,now you have to not only value what is Jimbo worth, but what is it worth to make sure Jimbo doesn't work for your rival.

Jimbo at A&M ain't all that scary,
JImbo at LSU?  that dude can win multiple titles here.

So A&M has no choice but to overpay for mediocrity.

9 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

If Michigan St (who last time they lost a coach to LSU his name was Nick Saban) can honestly say "we stepped up and made sure LSU didn't steal the next guy from us" and that lands them 2-3 more highly ranked recruits, then it's worth it to them.

Doesn't matter what you or me think Mel Tucker is worth.  It only matters that Mich State can say they stepped up to the plate and offered a number LSU didn't.

It reminds me of that show where they bid on the storage units that have been left behind. That one guy would always bid up the price of a unit he really didn't want just so the other guy would have to pay more for it.