Gameday Tigers

Other games of interest - 2022

houtiger

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

Which goes to show what a poor judge of a head coach Joe Dean actually was.  If everyone thought Hallman was so great, it shows how wrong everyone could be.  I was in Houston in an "LSU Free Zone", so I never saw any of those goings on.

yeah when it looking at it in hindsight.

Curley had the background. Was an up and comer. He had all the markings of the next great coach.
Even USM fans thought it was Curley and not Favre that made them what they were (i knew several people who were students at the time).

it wasn't just Joe Dean either.
Curley was the hottest name in coaching circles.  Everyone got that one wrong.  It happens.

Here's the bottom line.  If you can get a PROVEN head coach of championship caliber, pay him good money and you'll be happy. 

that exactly what A&M did with Jimbo.

On the other hand, if the AD can't pick talent, or you're extending a coach just because you're afraid someone else will steal him, if he hasn't produced lately, you may be better off letting him go.  Witness Jimbo at aTm.

Jimbo got extended before LSU ever even had an opening.

they extended him because he had just turned in the best season in College Station since before Hitler invaded Poland.

Mel Tucker (3-4 going into today's game with Michigan) at Michigan State, new 10 year deal.

that one was probably a reach.

If you REACH to talent that is not quality proven over a sufficient period, that deal can work out very bad, and expensive. Orgeron, Malzahn come to mind.

I seem to recall only one person here having any issues with O being extended.
Both times it happened.

Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis 19 mil to leave, buying out 6 years on his deal.  All of those deals were too long, extensions too generous.

again, I don't disagree with your opinion.

problem is that's the market now.  so if you want a top tier coach, that's what it will take.

can you hire a cheaper guy under the radar and get lucky? sure you can (odds say you won't).
and as soon as he sniffs success, you need to either pay him in line with the going rate, or watch him walk.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

problem is that's the market now.  so if you want a top tier coach, that's what it will take.

can you hire a cheaper guy under the radar and get lucky? sure you can (odds say you won't).
and as soon as he sniffs success, you need to either pay him in line with the going rate, or watch him walk.

That could be a good way to go.  Take Fla. and Napier.  Billy looked good at ULL.  Fla. tripled his salary to 7.1 mil a year for seven years.  OK, Billy was sunbelt coach of the year, but triple salary?  Seven years?  I could see double his salary for 5 years.  Did people really want Napier that bad?  Does UF already think they overpaid?  If Napier succeeded, I have no problem paying him the going rate, but you should at least prove you can do the job well first.

Edited to add:  What Gayturds think about their loss to Ga.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/post-game-discussion-florida-vs-georgia.562383/

Edited by houtiger

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Look no further than what took out Les and O, a combination of what went on, both on and off the field. 

aTm has a bunch of money invested, our AD was told to get Jimbo, his search consisted of one guy. Money was not an option. Make Jimbo tell you no! 

Fast forward, we needed a coach, names were flying out everywhere, nothing leaked by Woody and his administration. Lots of coaches got raises. Woody went out an got, in his mind, the best available. aTm, upped Jimbo’s pot, so did a number of other schools. Remember, you don’t really talk with the coach, everything goes through the Jimmy Sextons of the world. 

Some might remember years ago, in the 90’s, LSU was looking for a Head Coach, they had a deal in place, TCU’s Pat Sullivan, but he had a buyout. That one fell off quickly. 

Be thankful for Kelly, we could have done lots worse. 

This drives me nuts.  A&M increased Jimbo's contraction Sept 1, 2021 long before Orgeron was fired Oct 17, 2021.  They raised him because he got them to #5 during a Covid year.  

https://www.tamus.edu/todays-regents-meeting-on-sec-in-bethancourt-ballroom-2-4/

• Like 1

Lane Kiffin calls out numerous fake injuries against Texas A&M: 'What are the analytics of that happening?'

Keith Farner | 1 hour ago

Lane Kiffin was fed up with the so-called fake injuries against Texas A&M, and let loose about it in the post-game press conference following the win over the Aggies.

Kiffin made several trolling comments toward Jimbo Fisher on the field with the SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic, and then later in the press conference, including the Aggies having, “the best recruiting class in the history of football.

He then zeroed in on the fake injuries.

“I’m not going to get very far into it,” Kiffin said. “But you guys saw whatever it was, when it was 8, 9 injury defensive timeouts, all on defense. So whatever, it is what it is, there’s a way around the rule, and I’m not going to say they did it, but I mean the analytics, what are the analytics of that happening? And then seeing the players, like a play or 2 later back out there.”

These comments begin at about the 6:00 mark below:

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

That could be a good way to go.  Take Fla. and Napier.  Billy looked good at ULL.  Fla. tripled his salary to 7.1 mil a year for seven years.  OK, Billy was sunbelt coach of the year, but triple salary?  Seven years?  I could see double his salary for 5 years.  Did people really want Napier that bad?  Does UF already think they overpaid?  If Napier succeeded, I have no problem paying him the going rate, but you should at least prove you can do the job well first.

Edited to add:  What Gayturds think about their loss to Ga.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/post-game-discussion-florida-vs-georgia.562383/

Good ole Sunbelt Billy is actually a perfect example for this discussion. 

he allegedly turned down multiple power 5 gigs the previous cycle. 
was linked (in media) to both the LSU and the USC jobs. 

all of those up his market value. 

then add in it being Florida. 

each of its last 3 coaches lasted fewer than 50 games before getting shitcanned. 
depsite each being regulars in the SEC CG. 

so the cost of your top candidate is up because of who else is looking. 

and the cost for YOU (meaning FU) to sign anyone is up because of your history. 

the result?
Billy Nappier at $7.1 for 7. 

or if you’re Florida you can tell your fan base and boosters you’re not interested in competing and settle for a guy much cheaper. 

how do you think that would affect ticket prices?

25 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Good ole Sunbelt Billy is actually a perfect example for this discussion. 

he allegedly turned down multiple power 5 gigs the previous cycle. 
was linked (in media) to both the LSU and the USC jobs. 

all of those up his market value. 

then add in it being Florida. 

each of its last 3 coaches lasted fewer than 50 games before getting shitcanned. 
depsite each being regulars in the SEC CG. 

so the cost of your top candidate is up because of who else is looking. 

and the cost for YOU (meaning FU) to sign anyone is up because of your history. 

the result?
Billy Nappier at $7.1 for 7. 

or if you’re Florida you can tell your fan base and boosters you’re not interested in competing and settle for a guy much cheaper. 

Napier may turn out to be worth it, or not.  We'll see.  But when you make a  mistake, it cost Fla. $12 mil to buy out Dan Mullen, and LSU $17 mil to buy out Ed.

37 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

and this part can not be emphasized enough.

if you're the AD, you have to stand at that podium and explain to your fanbase, the ticket holders, and the boosters:

We didn't get Napier. We didn't get Lincoln Riley, we didn't get Brian Kelly, Josh Huepel, Mario Christobol, Sonny Sykes, etc.  Hell, we didn't even get Brent Venables or Marcus Freeman.We got Tim Robowe (google him, he's the Nicholls St. coach).

mainly because the agents of those other guys laughed at what we offered.

oh by the way, season ticket prices went up again this year (for the 5th straight year), Tradition fund fees also increased. As did parking pass costs. And the $40 to bring a trailer on campus is now $55 (per game by the way). Plus you need to purchase an additional ticket for the right to tailgate on the parade grounds. And you need to go on campus that morning to buy it for each game too.

oh, and once you're inside the stadium, we're going to charge $10 for a "premium beer" and give you a fornicating Michelob Ultra. No, this sentence is not even remotely being sarcastic.  This is 100% factually what happens when you walk up to the concession stands inside Tiger Stadium and order a beer.

1 minute ago, houtiger said:

Napier may turn out to be worth it, or not.  We'll see.  But when you make a  mistake, it cost Fla. $12 mil to buy out Dan Mullen,

i don't know what the hell happened his last season in Jortsville.

multiple very successful seasons as a coordinator.
multiple seasons over achieving in Starkville.
a division title and was 1 win away from playoffs in 2020.

then 2021 was a complete disaster unlike anything we'd seen from him.

1 minute ago, houtiger said:

and LSU $17 mil to buy out Ed.

if only there had been i don't know, 55 years or so of reasons to NEVER HIRE ED fornicating ORGERON prior to 2016.
reasons that may have been so glaringly obvious that a random schmuck from the bayous could spot them with his eyes closed.
then maybe don't extend the guy for turning in an exact clone of the season that got the guy before him fired.

8 hours ago, houtiger said:

I watched aTm / Ole Miss last night, to see what Jimbo has.  Some say Jimbo's offense is now behind the times and the fans want him to hire an OC.  Announcer said Jimbo runs a pro style offense, you can make it work against any defense, but it's complicated.  Maybe that's why Weigman didn't start until last night.  Weigman has an outstanding arm, and vision.  Jimbo may have his "Jamis Winston".  Jimbo will have to evaluate the whole program at the end of the year and make changes.  But, the #1 recruiting class may grow up and do a lot better next year.  I think everyone likes to see aTm suffer this year because they have rich boosters and they bought a recruiting class.  I didn't think they would be as good this year as last because they lost a lot of talent.  But they have been worse than I thought.  Weigman gives aTm a chance against LSU.  I suspect Jimbo will make some changes and they will do better next year.

Watching scores, there were some surprises.

#22 Kansas St. beat #9 Oklahoma St. 48-0

Louisville beat #10 Wake Forest 48-21

Notre Dame beat #16 Syracuse 41-24

I'm with you that TAMU may do pretty well going forward simply based on talent alone.  HOWEVER...........

He has to KEEP the talent.  Many are anticipating a crazy December with portal activity, and a bunch of people including me think TAMU will be the victim more than the victor in that scenario.  

As far as Weigman, he doesn't give them the chance against LSU.  Achane does.  But he's only one dude and after the first quarter, I imagine House will shut that show down.  I think you're giving Weigman a bit too much credit.  Look what we did to Ole Miss compared to what Weigman and TAMU's offense did.  42-3 after  1st quarter.  TAMU broke past the 24 barrier for the first time since last season last night.  Not scared of Weigman and TAMU's offense.  Harold Perkins will give that dude night terrors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I'm with you that TAMU may do pretty well going forward simply based on talent alone.  HOWEVER...........

He has to KEEP the talent.  Many are anticipating a crazy December with portal activity, and a bunch of people including me think TAMU will be the victim more than the victor in that scenario.  

As far as Weigman, he doesn't give them the chance against LSU.  Achane does.  But he's only one dude and after the first quarter, I imagine House will shut that show down.  I think you're giving Weigman a bit too much credit.  Look what we did to Ole Miss compared to what Weigman and TAMU's offense did.  42-3 after  1st quarter.  TAMU broke past the 24 barrier for the first time since last season last night.  Not scared of Weigman and TAMU's offense.  Harold Perkins will give that dude night terrors.

that dude was concussed at the end. I don't know how he was allowed to keep playing.

and no, that hit was NOT targeting, but was absolutely roughing the passer.

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

If Weigman remains the starter, and why not, he'll have 3 more games under his belt, Fla., Auburn, U Mass.  He'll learn a lot and the playing time will help him.  He was close on a few throws that I think he will make in 3 weeks. 

The hits just keep on coming! 

Lane Kiffin admits Saturday night was personal after Jimbo Fisher called him and Nick Saban clowns

Steve Samraabout 10 hours
lane-kiffin-reveals-how-reacted-to-the-end-of-the-alabama-crimson-tide-tennessee-vols-volunteers-game-ole-miss-rebels-sec-college-football Justin Ford/Getty Images

Lane Kiffin isn’t one to mince words, and he didn’t shy away from the fact that Saturday’s victory over Texas A&M was personal to the Ole Misscoach.

Prior to the 2022 season, Kiffin to exception to Aggies leader Jimbo Fisher calling him a clown, and it’s evident that comment was in the back of the Rebels coach’s mind. Speaking with the media during his post-game press conference, Kiffin admitted the showdown was personal with Fisher and Texas A&M.

“Yeah, I don’t give you coach-speak, so yeah, that’s real,” responded Kiffin, asked if the war of words pushed Ole Miss toward success. “Someone attacks you personally, calls you and your buddy Coach Saban both clowns, you take that personal. So, glad we won. 

“I guess I can be a clown for Halloween then.” 

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

If Weigman remains the starter, and why not, he'll have 3 more games under his belt, Fla., Auburn, U Mass.  He'll learn a lot and the playing time will help him.  He was close on a few throws that I think he will make in 3 weeks. 

Ole

Miss

Defense

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herb said:

See what happens when ref's call a penalty other than targeting and then investigate the play FOR targeting?

Whats worse is when there actually is a late hit (Daniels) but they wave off the targeting and then the entire penalty.  Did I miss a rule change somewhere? That play should have resulted in 15 and a 1st down but did not. 

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Whats worse is when there actually is a late hit (Daniels) but they wave off the targeting and then the entire penalty.  Did I miss a rule change somewhere? That play should have resulted in 15 and a 1st down but did not. 

That is exactly what I was referring to.

The correct call should have been a "late hit" personal foul penalty that would then be investigated for targeting. Instead the penalty called on the play was "targeting", so when that was overruled by the dumb effs in the press box, the entire penalty was waived because they called "targeting" instead of a "late hit".

In their defense, there was no targeting on that specific play, but the on the field call should have been a 15 yard late hit penalty, not targeting.

20 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Lane Kiffin calls out numerous fake injuries against Texas A&M: 'What are the analytics of that happening?'

Keith Farner | 1 hour ago

Lane Kiffin was fed up with the so-called fake injuries against Texas A&M, and let loose about it in the post-game press conference following the win over the Aggies.

Kiffin made several trolling comments toward Jimbo Fisher on the field with the SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic, and then later in the press conference, including the Aggies having, “the best recruiting class in the history of football.

He then zeroed in on the fake injuries.

“I’m not going to get very far into it,” Kiffin said. “But you guys saw whatever it was, when it was 8, 9 injury defensive timeouts, all on defense. So whatever, it is what it is, there’s a way around the rule, and I’m not going to say they did it, but I mean the analytics, what are the analytics of that happening? And then seeing the players, like a play or 2 later back out there.”

These comments begin at about the 6:00 mark below:

I think they need to change the rule and say if a player goes down, he has to stay out of play for the rest of the drive.  That was freaking ridiculous

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Herb said:

In their defense, there was no targeting on that specific play, but the on the field call should have been a 15 yard late hit penalty, not targeting.

I'm not so sure, at first I agreed but listening to them explain the rule and say a) a defenseless player and b) contact to the head and it does not have to include the crown of the helmete...well if JD's butt is on the ground I'm going to assume that is defenseless and there was clearly contact to the head. It seemed like it fit the description to me but yes, should have been late hit. 

1 hour ago, Big T said:

35 minutes ago, Herb said:

That is exactly what I was referring to.

The correct call should have been a "late hit" personal foul penalty that would then be investigated for targeting. Instead the penalty called on the play was "targeting", so when that was overruled by the dumb effs in the press box, the entire penalty was waived because they called "targeting" instead of a "late hit".

16 minutes ago, Big T said:

I'm not so sure, at first I agreed but listening to them explain the rule and say a) a defenseless player and b) contact to the head and it does not have to include the crown of the helmete...well if JD's butt is on the ground I'm going to assume that is defenseless and there was clearly contact to the head. It seemed like it fit the description to me but yes, should have been late hit. 

I'm going to disagree with both of y'all somewhat.

on the play that targeting was reviewed, I don't think the hit was late enough to justify a flag. those hits happen all the time with no flag, so i'm OK with it.
HOWEVER, by the actual definition of "targeting" in the NCAA rule book, there is no way in hell that hit was NOT targeting and that flag should have stood.

on the play later in the game when Daniels slid, "late hit" was called, but never reviewed for targeting.
which IMO was the correct call.

On 10/30/2022 at 3:53 PM, houtiger said:

Napier may turn out to be worth it, or not.  We'll see.  But when you make a  mistake, it cost Fla. $12 mil to buy out Dan Mullen, and LSU $17 mil to buy out Ed.

Barn was in the middle, they paid $15M to get rid of their guy. 

AD gets hired, Coach gets fired. We’ve see this verse before. Did anyone think O would make it passed last season. Woody has the 2020 season, then the start of 2021. The kicker was the off the field stuff. A coach is representing the University, Woody didn’t like the image, just a matter of time. 

Go down and look at the change in coaches since Woodys been here, he’s paid to do a job, he does it well. 

Bob Broadhead was along those same lines. 

Oh, Mack Brown is also 71 years old. Today is also Dale Brown’s birthday, he’s 87. 

Edited by LSUDad