Gameday Tigers

Game Topic: LSU vs Landmass State (2022) ... 5:00pm ... ESPN

Nutriaitch

IMHO, the key to this game will be implementing a good old fashioned ball control offense and keep the Cowboy Philosopher off of the field.  While most are hoping John Emery - now that he 's finally back in over 2 years - will step up and immediately start cranking up numbers that his potential has always hinted at, I doubt that he'll do that right away.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that. I think the reality will likely be that he's still slightly rusty in terms of game playing time and I wouldn't be surprised if we see handoff/exchange issues between Emery and Daniels.  Hopefully fall camp worked out any kinks there.

Instead, I predict Goodwin to be the breath of fresh air in our running game with Cain and Emery providing some change up roles. I think Emery's immediate productivity will likely be as a receiver coming out of the backfield on swing passes and check down routes when Mason Taylor is blanketed up.

Defensively, we'll need a huge day from our linebackers and I am looking forward to seeing Harold Perkins (my man crush) turn on his athleticism and find his groove. Baskerville and Mike Jones will also need to have very solid days. The defense as a whole needs to step up their game in terms of tackling fundamentals and stop receivers at the point of any catches and not allow any appreciable amount of YAC.

Is Ali Gaye out of the doghouse? I think he was genuinely remorseful for the targeting call and truly embarrassed for putting the team in a hole as a result of that. I'll keep an eye on him because I think he's the kind of guy that wants to make amends on the field and I think he learned a lesson about over aggressiveness.

Tiger Stadium rarely disappoints. This will NOT be one of those nights given that it is opening night of SEC play in the Brian Kelly era.

This is a good Mississippi State team. Leach has improved them in his time in the SEC and they are no longer the rope-a-dope punching bag they once were for us. The LSU team and fan base needs to wake up to the fact that there are longer any 'gimmees' and that every single game matters (even teams like Southern). This won't be a walk in the park.

All of the predictions I've seen have the game going to MSU by less than a TD.

I like the view from my purple and gold glasses and say the Tigers win by 10-14.

• Like 1

I liked the fact the we had gas in the tank in the 4th Q and the mindset to keep playing hard. I know Brian Polian has a reputation as a lights out recruiter and hopefully we have and will continue to benefit from that however special teams worry the heck out of me. Not sure if players aren’t getting his scheme or it the issue is the scheme but with status quo it’s gonna cost us at some point.  If JD can get the ball down the field more and we can run more effectively our offense has shown it can score quickly. By run I mean with the RBs not JD. Part of that piece is the o-line and we just started our third lineup in 3 games. So much for continuity. Defense played great. Harold Perkins is as advertised. Great coaching moving Jay Ward he made plays, one to seal the deal.  Go Tigers!

• Like 4

I jusst saw a little of the game, 4th qtr.  I didn't like some of Daniels throws, missed badly.  I saw Kelly shouting onto the field and motioning with his shoulder to Daniels.  In the post game Kelly talked about Daniels shoulder, asked him to tighten it up, and his passes got better.  I am damn impressed with Kelly's attention to detail and his ability to help his QB during the heat of the action.  And it is not only the QB, Kelly sees details on the o-line play, it like he sees it ALL!  I believe Kelly can coach.  He talked about the conditioning of the team and how they played well in the 4th quarter.  They've been working on that for the whole year, and it's paying off!

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Part of that piece is the o-line and we just started our third lineup in 3 games. So much for continuity.

I think the silver lining there is that our OL players are all getting significant game experience.  I think that will serve us well when we start getting into the meat of our SEC schedule. They are also learning and getting experience at different OL positions.

It also keeps opposing teams from isolating the tendencies of just 5 players in film rooms if they don't know what the starting lineup will be. 

We don't have an All-SEC OL in terms of personnel, but we really never have.

Overall, I think the staff has done a pretty good job of coaching with what we have.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I liked the fact the we had gas in the tank in the 4th Q and the mindset to keep playing hard. I know Brian Polian has a reputation as a lights out recruiter and hopefully we have and will continue to benefit from that however special teams worry the heck out of me. Not sure if players aren’t getting his scheme or it the issue is the scheme but with status quo it’s gonna cost us at some point.  If JD can get the ball down the field more and we can run more effectively our offense has shown it can score quickly. By run I mean with the RBs not JD. Part of that piece is the o-line and we just started our third lineup in 3 games. So much for continuity. Defense played great. Harold Perkins is as advertised. Great coaching moving Jay Ward he made plays, one to seal the deal.  Go Tigers!

other than the blocked kicks in week 1, what i see on special teams is (or almost can't be) scheme related.

issues this week that are straight mental mistakes that aren't (at least shouldn't be) scheme related:

fielding a punt at the freaking 2
diving on a bouncing punt when surrounded by coverage team
kickoff out of bounds

the blocks week 1 were a combination of personel and missed scheme.

we had Mason Taylor on the wing. 
he both lined up incorrectly and blocked wrong guy.

he should have been on the tackles outer hip, but was almost directly behind him
he was supposed to punch out ward (meaning arm only, shove the outside guy even if only a nudge) and block down (meaning you have to engage the inside guy).

you do this because the inside guy has the quickest route to the kick. even with just that nudge the outside guy would need Deion Sanders type speed and a perfectly timed snap jump to even have a shot at the block. 

What Taylor did was actually make a full hit on outside guy and wasn't able to get back down to inside guy.
Inside guy blocked the kick.

Since then, we've played Jack Mashburn on that end. He's a true blocking TE.
we also changed it up to a more traditional lineup where the outermost guy is lined up more similarly to a tightend instead of like a the H guy in the old Wing T lineup.

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I jusst saw a little of the game, 4th qtr.  I didn't like some of Daniels throws, missed badly.  I saw Kelly shouting onto the field and motioning with his shoulder to Daniels.  In the post game Kelly talked about Daniels shoulder, asked him to tighten it up, and his passes got better.  I am damn impressed with Kelly's attention to detail and his ability to help his QB during the heat of the action.  And it is not only the QB, Kelly sees details on the o-line play, it like he sees it ALL!  I believe Kelly can coach.  He talked about the conditioning of the team and how they played well in the 4th quarter.  They've been working on that for the whole year, and it's paying off!

I just love having a coach that knows anything at all about actually coaching.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I think the silver lining there is that our OL players are all getting significant game experience.  I think that will serve us well when we start getting into the meat of our SEC schedule. They are also learning and getting experience at different OL positions.

It also keeps opposing teams from isolating the tendencies of just 5 players in film rooms if they don't know what the starting lineup will be. 

Overall, I think the staff has done a pretty good job of coaching with what we have.

we have 2 guys that will be All-SEC before they're done

1 hour ago, Herb said:

This was a third different OL that started, we had two Freshmen OT starting. Jones wasn’t in for the Spring, so he had a little catching up to do. Daniels did miss a bunch, Denbrock had the right plays called, JD just missed the receivers. 

House called a very good game,  mixing coverages, packages, personal. 

At times, Special Teams are Special. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, Hatchertiger said:

If JD can get the ball down the field more and we can run more effectively our offense has shown it can score quickly. By run I mean with the RBs not JD. 

JD is a Jalen Hurts type. Can he learn to keep his eyes downfield? To see the field better? IDK, he seems and is said to be coachable. We'll see. 

That said, he's CLEARLY better in up tempo, and to quote ex football coach Herm Edwards,  you play to win the game. It'd be great if he was a Joe Burrow instead of a Jalen Hurts, but he's not. He's an elite runner and if that's how he helps us win,  i don't care. 

I said it before, his legs will win us a game before it's over. They just did, and they'll do it again. Just win.

Enjoy the remake of the year 2000. Good things cometh, folks. 

9 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

"Per Pro Football Focus, neither tackle allowed a single pressure. It graded Campbell and Jones No. 1 and No. 4 of all SEC offensive tackles."

We had a Jr. two Soph, and two true freshmen starting. One freshman didn’t arrive for Spring Practice. We got two really good OL in this class, three if you count Bordelon. 

We also have some good incoming OL talent in the 2023 class (assuming none flip). If any of the 2023 additions can contribute as quickly as Campbell and Jones have, we'll be in a much better position than we are now.

Having said that, I think the staff is doing a great job of getting the entire OL squad up to speed and in a great growth path. Improvements can be seen each week.

I don't look at the fact that we have had 3 different starting 5 lineups in as many weeks as a bad thing. On the contrary, I think it is a good thing. Everyone is getting playing time that is reinforcing the coaching they are getting in practice and in the film sessions. Where we don't want to be is in a position where someone gets pressed into service unexpectedly without game time conditioning and reps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

I said it before, his legs will win us a game before it's over. 

Yeah State had a spy on him and still couldn't stop him. However, there are teams on our schedule who will and we can certainly help ourselves out by making them play the pass more and have our RBs run the ball effectively.  We aren't gonna win them all this year (I predicted 8-4 before the season) but I would hope we can progress as the season goes.  And I concur Jalen Hurts is a good comparison.

And for the John Emery crowd out there, he did not play a single snap of football in well over a year. Simmer down and let him get his sea legs.  Until then jury is still out on whether he can consistently produce the flashes we have all seen.  But he's gonna have to produce to take the ball away from Armoni Goodwin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yeah State had a spy on him and still couldn't stop him. However, there are teams on our schedule who will and we can certainly help ourselves out by making them play the pass more and have our RBs run the ball effectively.  We aren't gonna win them all this year (I predicted 8-4 before the season) but I would hope we can progress as the season goes.  And I concur Jalen Hurts is a good comparison.

And for the John Emery crowd out there, he did not play a single snap of football in well over a year. 

Agree with all of that, not sure what defense we're scheduled to face can stop him. MSU is really good defensively. 

Emery, people complained? Dummies. As you said,  "sea legs"...if he had played last week, he probably turns two of his runs into long gains... possibly house one. He'll get there with reps going forward and he adds better depth than 21. Goodwin is RB1 for now for sure. 

• Nutriaitch changed the title to Game Topic: LSU vs Landmass State (2022) ... 5:00pm ... ESPN
  • Nutriaitch unpinned this topic