Gameday Tigers

Team Improvements

dachsie

We have now played 3 games.  Where have you seen improvements so far?  We all know there is more to be done but what has come along the fastest for you so far?

Last night I did see some O-line improvement.  They were able to form a pocket for JD at times.  Unfortunately, he doesn't always see his receivers down the field.

Defense looked better last night as well.  I also commented that the kicker seemed a bit better.

What about you?

• Like 2

1. The offensive line - each week we have a new starting 5. This tweaking keeps improving the unit as a whole and is giving all offensive linemen much needed game experience and helps keep fresh legs in the game.
  2. Linebacker play - this has gotten better each week and is a huge reason why the defense as a whole has stepped up their game and found their identity.
  3. WR group - we're seeing a lot of people not named Boutte step up and make plays. Nabers and Jenkins in particular appear to have improved.
  4. Jayden Daniels - I think our starting QB is not only starting to settle into his role but he's establishing himself as a leader to a team that didn't know him just a little over 6 months ago.

This is the only comparison that @Fishhead will see me make between Daniels and Burrow: it took Burrow about 6 games in his 1st season here before he really started clicking with his teammates...it'll take Daniels roughly the same number of games before we see him fully clicking on all cylinders with his teammates.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Now we wait for Polian

I'm okay if for now his primary focus is on getting top level recruits committed to LSU. To me, the far greater need is "re-stocking the pantry" as quickly as possible.

I think many of the special teams frustrations are individual player breakdowns. Ultimately, the buck stops with the coaches, though. I'd equally be okay with Kelly hiring a former ST coach as a "Special Teams Consultant" if improvements happen slower than needed. 

5 hours ago, Herb said:

I'm okay if for now his primary focus is on getting top level recruits committed to LSU. To me, the far greater need is "re-stocking the pantry" as quickly as possible.

I think many of the special teams frustrations are individual player breakdowns. Ultimately, the buck stops with the coaches, though. I'd equally be okay with Kelly hiring a former ST coach as a "Special Teams Consultant" if improvements happen slower than needed. 

So I like Greg Clayton's story. 

But...

Did you know he didn't even return punts at UTSA? Now he's the best we can field at LSU???

5 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Now he's the best we can field at LSU???

To be fair, one of the best pairs of hands on the team (one might argue THE best) muffed 2 punts in the opener. Was that Polian's fault?

Polian did the smart thing and removed that guy from being in a position that he was obviously uncomfortable with.

Maybe Clayton is the best we have that wouldn't put us in a bind if he got waylaid fielding a punt and was out for a bit? Looks like we need Nabors at WR and probably Sage Ryan at safety.

I can't really answer that.

6 minutes ago, Herb said:

To be fair, one of the best pairs of hands on the team (one might argue THE best) muffed 2 punts in the opener. Was that Polian's fault?

Polian did the smart thing and removed that guy from being in a position that he was obviously uncomfortable with.

Maybe Clayton is the best we have that wouldn't put us in a bind if he got waylaid fielding a punt and was out for a bit? Looks like we need Nabors at WR and probably Sage Ryan at safety.

I can't really answer that.

Patrick Peterson
Tyrann Mathieu
Hell, Kevin Faulk.  

ALL the best player on the team when they were here, ALL returned punts.  (there's more I can't think of right now as great examples)

Fournette returned kickoffs, Guice did as well. 

IMO Boutte should be returning punts and/or kicks, Bech as well should be in the mix.  

I've been waiting for years for someone to tell me about the many instances of punt returners getting hurt.  Still waiting.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 11:01 AM, Herb said:
  1. Linebacker play - this has gotten better each week and is a huge reason why the defense as a whole has stepped up their game and found their identity.

with all due respect to Mike Jones and Greg Penn, our starting LInebackers are  Hound and Perkins.,

Perkins is a stud just waiting to completely break out.
Hound knows his role as well if not better than anyone else on that side of the ball.  He just makes the plays he needs to make.

1. WR group - we're seeing a lot of people not named Boutte step up and make plays. Nabers and Jenkins in particular appear to have improved.

heard an interview with Nabers. He and JD have a chemistry already.  They made eye contact before a snap and each knew what to do based on their reads.
You can't coach that.  And you can't force it *cough*Boutte*cough*. 

Jenkins is a leader. He doesn't get the credit he deserves because he isn't flashy.  BU much like Hound on defense it just always seems to be him that makes the play you need when you need it.

1. Jayden Daniels - I think our starting QB is not only starting to settle into his role but he's establishing himself as a leader to a team that didn't know him just a little over 6 months ago.

correct, but also in more ways than that.
he has never had a stable of studs like he does here. So he's almost always had to tuck and run.
it's a natural instinct for him and one he'll have to grow out of.

he's gotten better each week, so i expect that trend to continue as he and his WRs gain trust in each other.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, dachsie said:

We have now played 3 games.  Where have you seen improvements so far?  We all know there is more to be done but what has come along the fastest for you so far?

DB's. 

were the biggest question mark on defense going into the season.

now? they are right on the D-Lines heels for best unit on entire team. 
and they still aren't 100% healthy (Sevyn Banks has yet to play).

Last night I did see some O-line improvement.  They were able to form a pocket for JD at times.  

some?

we had the #1 and #4 graded tackles in the entire conference this week.
and both are true freshmen.

Turner has to clean up the presnap issues, and if we get Bradford back at RG, i think we'll be set.

Unfortunately, he doesn't always see his receivers down the field.

he is improving each game.  but you have to bring that part along slowly.
you reel him in too much and he starts taking sacks instead of making plays.

Defense looked better last night as well.

that was the best game an LSU defense has played in a long time.
probably since 2016 ish.

I also commented that the kicker seemed a bit better.

on placekicks, a big part of it is the changeup in personnel and in blocking formation/scheme.

Putting Mashburn on outside in a TE like postition rather than Mason Taylor in the old H-Back type wing spot served 2 purposes.

1. you have a veteran true blocker there now who understands the concepts of that position. Punch out, block down.  Outside guy needs an heroic effort to get to the ball if untouched. Slight little jab at line and he's never getting there.  Inside guy has best chance on whole team (assuming everyone holds their assignments up middle). So you absolutely must get a full body engagement on him.  If you give outside guy and more than a punch, you're too late and never get enough of the inside guy and he blocks the kick.

2. Instead of being in H-back formation, you're lined up in a more traditional set. Inside guy can get squeezed, and outside guy now has even farther around you to go.  Even if they stack the edge with 3 bodies, jab middle, block inside, ignore outside, and nobody gets home.

What about you?

i cut down to only half a pizza for the game.
i now feel like i'm more conditioned and in better shape at end of the game when my team needs me.