Gameday Tigers

Game Topic: LSU vs Tennessee (2022) ... 11:00am ... ESPN

Nutriaitch

Will Campbell is out, LSU is going to miss him.  Cam Wire may start.  When I watch Campbell, the thing about him is that he battles every down.  His first couple of games he got beat on a few plays, he looks like he is learning and he's getting better.  On the other side, Emery Jones just stepped into the starters role, and against Auburn a blitzer got by him without being touched.  I'm not sure if he thought a back would pick him up, or if he didn't understand his assignment.  I'm sure he will get coached up and improve.  I remember when Kelly first arrived, they said our o-line needed improvement, what did Kelly look for in an o-lineman.  He thought for a second and said he looks for a certain attitude.  I see that in Campbell, he battles every down.

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

That was painful.

Yea, that sucked.

Our o-line got eaten.  We couldn't run the ball at all.  After that, we threw it a lot, the Tenn. d-line came and harassed Daniels all day.  Daniels played better in spots, but sometimes he was his old self.  I wonder if the Denbrock scheme is not part of the problem.  Tenn. seemed more adept at receivers getting open on intermediate routes.

Looking at the box score, I was surprised time of possession was almost equal, as were first downs.  But, LSU did give Tenn four starts on our side of the field.  I question not kicking a field goal on fourth down in the first half, as well as going for it on our own 45 in the second.  We weren't moving the ball.  Kelly said we were far behind and he had to take some chances to try and get back in it.  I guess he's right in a way, if you're down by 20, and you miss on the fourth down, it won't make a difference if you lose by 30.  But it was the only opportunity to try and get back to down by only 14.

• Like 1

My opinion might be unpopular with some, but I think Kelly should start thinking about replacing Joe Sloan. I also think maybe Polian should primarily be the recruiting director/player personnel guy and bring in a "consultant" to get the special teams woes ironed out.

I think a big part of the decision to hire Sloan were his Louisiana ties. While that is all fine and dandy, it seems apparent that the QB position is a liability regardless of who is under center. Both Daniels and Nussmeier make poor decisions with the football, which ultimately is a coaching issue.

Daniels seems to not want to make a decision at all and I think he feels he is a one man show who can win games on his own. He seems unprepared for the speed and athleticism of SEC defenders and does not seem to scan the field to see which routes are opening up. It looks like he has made his mind up who the primary target is before the play develops and if that guy is covered he eats the ball or tries to gain with his legs. 

Nussmeier has a slightly different issue.  He seems to not have his mind up before the snap, scans the field, but he tries to cannon the ball in even if his receiver is covered, knowing his legs likely won't be getting a 1st down.

To me, this screams of an issue at the position regardless of who is under center, which ultimately is the fault of the position coach - Sloan.

Special teams issues seem to be primarily an issue with individual breakdowns (today is was Bech) and poor tackling/coverage. The latter falls on Polian, but I think that is also somewhat shared with the position coaches individual players ordinarily play under. If a linebacker  or backup DB is playing on special teams, the tackling part should be getting taught by their regular position coach. Some of these guys are ordinarily players on offense, so I assume those guys need tackling instruction from Polian? (I'm not entirely sure the structure under the title of 'Special Teams Coordinator' and assume there are coaches at other positions helping coach special teams?)

Polian seems to be highly regarded as a personnel guy. He might need some help getting the special teams unit to be firing on all cylinders. If his strength is recruiting and building player databases for recruiting, then let him primarily focus on that and get some "consultants" in that can shore up the special teams room.

The only other unit on the team that is a concern is the RB room. We know Frank Wilson is a great recruiter and was an effective RB coach in the past. I don't think a change is warranted there, but I can't help but feel that the public allegations against him and the ongoing lawsuit against the University that he was named in is probably a distraction and weight for him that possibly is affecting his job. In his defense, we're kind of thin at RB right now and any injury (like having Goodwin out) impacts the effectiveness of our running game immensely.

We also have a starting QB who every time he decides to run subtracts a touch for any of the running backs.

Coaching staffs are always fluid. When Kelly was hired he had to assemble a staff on very short notice. I think he did a damn good job overall and he went out of his way to try to get assistants with Louisiana ties for recruiting purposes and probably for PR purposes since a lot of the BS sports writing chatter at the time of his hire questioned his "cultural fit" and mocked him as some kind of duck out of water.

At the end of the day, our primary problem on offense right now is the lack of effective QB play. If he's not throwing or running, Daniels is resigning himself to being sacked. What he is not doing is trying to get the ball to other playmakers a significant portion of the time.

• Like 1

If Nuss is not the solution, then start giving Walker Howard some playing time.  You say the coaches see him in practice, they know what he can do.  Kid is a 5* QB.

The brilliant Sabini played Jalen Hurts all the freshman year of Tua.  He gets in the natty game with Ga. and they are eating Gumps's lunch, Hurts is a passing liability.  At HALFTIME, Sabini makes a QB change, they come out with Tua throwing, and they win the natty.   Was Tua the better passer all year, sure he was.  But, they were winning every game.

We're not winning every game.

20 hours ago, houtiger said:

If Nuss is not the solution, then start giving Walker Howard some playing time. 

putting in a QB that is not ready behind a bad O-Line is a death sentence for a young player.
ask his dad, Curley did it to him in 1992.

or if that's too far back, go re-watch the 2008 season.

Kid is a 5* QB.

you misspelled 4.

and so was Jarrett Lee.

The brilliant Sabini played Jalen Hurts all the freshman year of Tua.  He gets in the natty game with Ga. and they are eating Gumps's lunch, Hurts is a passing liability.  At HALFTIME, Sabini makes a QB change, they come out with Tua throwing, and they win the natty.   Was Tua the better passer all year, sure he was.  But, they were winning every game.

give us the 2017 Alabama offensive line and we are undefeated right now. even with Jayden Daniels.

21 hours ago, houtiger said:

If Nuss is not the solution, then start giving Walker Howard some playing time.  You say the coaches see him in practice, they know what he can do.  Kid is a 5* QB.

As for 5* players. We had a couple transfer out, the DB that went to Gumps, the TE, that went to UGA, I don’t think he’s playing anymore. 
As for on the roster, Boutte, who as for now, might be your third best WR. Emery who hasn’t looked 5*’ish. Sage Ryan, who’s been up and down. And Maason Smith, who’s out for the season. 
The only 5 that looks to be a true 5 right now is Perkins. Coming out of high school, that was my definition of a true 5* player. 
As for many players, the 5* should come after a little time playing college, you’ll know them. 

Howard is going to red shirt.  Kelly didn't see JD as the issue Saturday and I agree with him. JD at least didn't play as conservative as he has.  We gave TN 10 points and never caught up with what is likely the best offense we'll see this year.  At this point I say let JD run, if that's what he does best let him do it if he's never gonna really throw it consistently down the field.

• Like 1

They beat the Tigers and go all out. 

Tennessee football defensive starter Jaylen McCollough was arrested on Sunday, per multiple reports citing the Knox County Sheriff’s Office. McCollough was charged with aggravated felony assault.

McCollough is a 4-year starter and currently tied for fourth best on the team with 23 tackles in 2022.

According to the arrest warrant, police responded to an incident on 2030 Grand Ave. at 3:28 p.m. on Sunday afternoon. They found a man, Zion Spencer, with missing teeth and a bloody mouth who said he’d been drinking with friends at the apartment complex when he went to retrieve some items from his vehicle. Spencer then went to return to the apartment, and he accidentally went to the wrong building. He entered through the apartment when nobody answered the door after he knocked.

Spencer then apologized and left, according to the arrest warrant. Another man, McCollough, pursued Spencer and became increasingly aggressive even after apologizing again. The man then punched Spencer in the face, and he fell backwards unconscious down the stairs.

Police then spoke to McCollough’s girlfriend, who called the football player back to the scene. McCollough arrived on the scene with a bloody bandage on his right hand and was taken into custody.

Tennessee returned home from a blowout victory over LSU 40-13. Alabama travels to Tennessee Saturday for a huge SEC matchup.

14 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

putting in a QB that is not ready behind a bad O-Line is a death sentence for a young player.
ask his dad, Curley did it to him in 1992.

or if that's too far back, go re-watch the 2008 season.

you misspelled 4.

and so was Jarrett Lee.

give us the 2017 Alabama offensive line and we are undefeated right now. even with Jayden Daniels.

1. Who says he's not ready?  Seems GK has his mind made up to redshirt him, is he too hard headed?

2. I did not misspell 5.  He was a 5* in many services.

“Hey, uh, I just gave an autograph to the ref. Is that OK?” Howard asked.

Shane Savoie had never seen that before, but he assured Howard he would be fine. And that’s not the only time an official asked for Howard’s signature this season, Howard normally laughing it off as one more bizarre moment in this wild stretch of his life called being a five-star quarterback in south Louisiana.

From his LSU bio: One of the nation’s top quarterback prospects in the Class of 2022 … Rated as the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat QB by ESPN and listed No. 5 by 247Sports … Overall, listed as the nation’s No. 27 overall prospect by ESPN and No. 34 by 247Sports

3. There are plenty of freshmen QB's who started and thrived.  Payton Manning took over a 1-3 Vol team and finished them by going 7-1.  They needed better QB play and he gave it to them.  Robert Griffin III only got Baylor to 4 wins his frosh year, but went on to have a great career in college and won the Heisman.

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/the_best_seasons_by_freshman_qbs_of_all_time/s1__27344096#slide_7

I can't say Howard is the solution to our problem, but I can say Daniels does not appear to have the passing ability to win very many more games for LSU.  If Nuss is 1B, he should get a shot.  If you're afraid to play him because he makes poor decisions (but his arm strength and accuracy in limited appearances this year have been good), there is another alternative, its Walker Howard.  He was rated the #1 dual threat QB, and #5 in another service.  Bryce Young sat for a year at Gumps, but he was behind Tua, a first round pick.  Howard is not sitting behind a first round pick.  Whose to say Howard is not smart like Burrow, can see a blitz is coming, knows where his hot receiver is, and delivers the ball in 1 second?  Daniels is sure not doing that.

8 hours ago, houtiger said:

1. Who says he's not ready?  Seems GK has his mind made up to redshirt him, is he too hard headed?

I don't know if he is or isn't ready and didn't mean for my post to insinuate his level of readiness one way or another.

2. I did not misspell 5.  He was a 5* in many services.

ESPN - 4 Star

247 Sports - 4 Star

On3 - 4 Star

That's 3 of the 4 biggest recruiting sites. only rivals had him as a 5.

3. There are plenty of freshmen QB's who started and thrived.  Payton Manning took over a 1-3 Vol team and finished them by going 7-1.  They needed better QB play and he gave it to them.  Robert Griffin III only got Baylor to 4 wins his frosh year, but went on to have a great career in college and won the Heisman.

and there are a LOT more Jarrett Lee's out there than Peyton Mannings.

I can't say Howard is the solution to our problem, but I can say Daniels does not appear to have the passing ability to win very many more games for LSU.

you are aware that his passing numbers are better through 6 games here than Burrow's were through 6?

Burrow - 89/165 (53.9%) ; 1215 yds ; 6 TDs ; 2 INTs ; 125.4 passer rating (and remember the only TD he threw in entire month of October was to a guy wearing a Florida jersey)
Daniels - 121/176 (68.8%) ; 1251 yds ; 7 TDs ; 1 INT ; 138.7 passer rating

If Nuss is 1B, he should get a shot.

i agree he probably deserves a shot.

its Walker Howard.  He was rated the #1 dual threat QB, and #5 in another service.

recruiting rankings don't mean anything once you step on campus.

if they did, you'd want Daniels in there because he was the highest rated of the 3 (247 composite since it compiles and averages multiple sites together)

Jayden Daniels - 4 Star - .9832
Walker Howard - 4 Star - .9809
Garrett Nussmeier - 4 Star - .9624

Bryce Young sat for a year at Gumps,

I wonder why? 

but he was behind Tua, a first round pick.

you're forgetting about Mac Jones (who was only a 3 star, by the way). Tua was already in the NFL that year.

Howard is not sitting behind a first round pick.

did you think Brennan was sitting behind the best college QB ever in 2018?

if so, you are literally the only person not named Joe Burrow who thought that.

Whose to say Howard is not smart like Burrow, can see a blitz is coming, knows where his hot receiver is, and delivers the ball in 1 second?  Daniels is sure not doing that.

I honestly don't know that. 
All i know is historically, Brian Kelly has been pretty quick to pull the trigger on his QBs.  He's also historically played 2 QBs in quite a few years.

There is a reason he isn't this year.

It may be as simple as Howard will get his narrow spine snapped behind this craptastic OLine.
It could be that being a freshman doesn't have full grasp of the offense yet.

I'm not saying Howard isn't a better option but he isn't playing for a reason. The stated reason is that he is going to red shirt.  Not sure I want him to play. We aren't competing for a championship this year (sorry if I busted your bubble 😞 ).  We CANNOT run the ball with our running backs. John Emery who just about everyone predicted would have a "break out year"  had 4 carries for 4 yards against TN who was not known for its defense coming into the game.  I'd rather see Howard start next year when, hopefully, BK with another recruiting class and time to coach more will have the offense in better shape. Also gives him time to mature physically and mentally.  Ask Walker Howard's dad what its like to be thrown to the wolves so to speak. Or Jarrett Lee. A horrible true freshman year can stymie (Shout out to Stymie from the Little Rascals 🙂 ) a QB's development. To me if Howard wasn't going to red shirt, you start him from Day 1 and let him go.  IMHO, too late to throw him in now.

Nuss is a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

ESPN - 4 Star

LSU bio says ESPN had him #1 dual threat QB, #27 overall player in America, that is a 5*.

you are aware that his passing numbers are better through 6 games here than Burrow's were through 6?

Burrow - 89/165 (53.9%) ; 1215 yds ; 6 TDs ; 2 INTs ; 125.4 passer rating (and remember the only TD he threw in entire month of October was to a guy wearing a Florida jersey)
Daniels - 121/176 (68.8%) ; 1251 yds ; 7 TDs ; 1 INT ; 138.7 passer rating

I'm aware Burrow won the job in fall camp, and was undefeated through 5 game, lost a close one to Fla., then beat a top 10 ranked Ga. team.  I don't recall anyone calling for Burrow to be replaced, because he showed on the field he could direct the offense effectively.

recruiting rankings don't mean anything once you step on campus.

if they did, you'd want Daniels in there because he was the highest rated of the 3 (247 composite since it compiles and averages multiple sites together)

Jayden Daniels - 4 Star - .9832
Walker Howard - 4 Star - .9809
Garrett Nussmeier - 4 Star - .9624

I agree ranking don't mean anything, except about POTENTIAL.  But here's the thing, Daniels is not getting the job done.  It's not all on Daniels, I have seen our receivers get the ball in their hands and drop it.

10 minutes ago, houtiger said:

LSU bio says ESPN had him #1 dual threat QB, #27 overall player in America, that is a 5*.

Screenshot of his actual ESPN recruiting profile, not a single sentence from some article:

Screenshot 2022-10-11 094538.png

He is not: #1 Dual threat, he was # 3
He is not: #27 in country, he was #42
He also has only 4 stars colored in, not 5.

if you'd like i can also screenshot and circle his grades from his other profiles as well, because they all say basically the same thing.

10 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I'm aware Burrow won the job in fall camp, and was undefeated through 5 game, lost a close one to Fla., then beat a top 10 ranked Ga. team.  I don't recall anyone calling for Burrow to be replaced, because he showed on the field he could direct the offense effectively

the 2018 offense was atrocious!

our current offense is averaging more passing yards per game, more passing TDs, and a higher passer efficiency than 2018.

and nobody was calling for Burrow to be replaced because he was following:
Anthony Jennings and Brandon Harris. 

His bad season was still better than every QB we'd seen in a decade.

But Jayden Daniels is unjustly being compared to 2019 Burrow.  Which he isn't. He never will be.
And in all probability, neither will Nuss, Howard, or anyone else we get any time soon.