Gameday Tigers

Best (least bad?) Group Today

Fishhead

10 hours ago, Fishhead said:

17 yds from folks not wearing #5 lol

But at least they didn't throw any interceptions nor get sacked 5 times for losses of 37 yards of negative yardage. You seem to be arguing that our QB was not the problem in this game.  How many times did he NOT hand the ball of to running backs when he should have?  How many times did he NOT throw the ball when he should have?

His field awareness is not very good.  Its not that receivers are running bad routes, he is not throwing to them because he thinks he is the best player on the team and Daniels won't let anyone eclipse him. 

He only handed the ball off 12 times but kept it for himself for 16 rushing plays. You don't think Emery or Williams might have had more running yards than Daniels put up if he had handed the ball off even 2/3 of the times that he kept it?

No...he's the only athlete (in his mind) that can get anything done. 

He starting to look to me like a very selfish player and not interested in letting anyone shine but him.

9 minutes ago, Herb said:

But at least they didn't throw any interceptions nor get sacked 5 times for losses of 37 yards of negative yardage. You seem to be arguing that our QB was not the problem in this game.  How many times did he NOT hand the ball of to running backs when he should have?  How many times did he NOT throw the ball when he should have?

His field awareness is not very good.  Its not that receivers are running bad routes, he is not throwing to them because he thinks he is the best player on the team and Daniels won't let anyone eclipse him. 

He only handed the ball off 12 times but kept it for himself for 16 rushing plays. You don't think Emery or Williams might have had more running yards than Daniels put up if he had handed the ball off even 2/3 of the times that he kept it?

He starting to look to me like a very selfish player and not interested in letting anyone shine but him.

Emery, Williams, Cain had already proven they couldn't get anything done behind that OL

Also, you don't run much down several scores

Jayden sucks seeing the field, and is always late delivering the ball

Special teams and defense lost the game though. Coaching too

That's why I asked "least bad". Nobody was good. Coaching was horrible

Coaching was not an option we could choose in your original post.  :shocked:

We can beat Florida and as long as we don't play like we did yesterday, we probably will. Daniels cannot play like he has to put the team on his back. He needs to feed his playmakers and if he needs extra time he should line up a couple of yards further back and step into the pocket when the rush arrives.

I still think we can probably win 3 or 4 of our remaining games. (Call me "Le Soleil Pompe" if you want).

I still can't get over how quickly Tennessee was able to turn their program around from losing almost 40 scholarship athletes when Pruitt was fired to now. I will be pulling for them hard next week.

3 minutes ago, Herb said:

Coaching was not an option we could choose in your original post.  :shocked:

We can beat Florida and as long as we don't play like we did yesterday, we probably will. Daniels cannot play like he has to put the team on his back. He needs to feed his playmakers and if he needs extra time he should line up a couple of yards further back and step into the pocket when the rush arrives.

I still think we can probably win 3 or 4 of our remaining games. (Call me "Le Soleil Pompe" if you want).

I still can't get over how quickly Tennessee was able to turn their program around from losing almost 40 scholarship athletes when Pruitt was fired to now. I will be pulling for them hard next week.

True on coaching, why I mentioned it separately. 

Point being, Kelly said last week qb gets all the praise or all the blame. 

The only thing Daniels improved upon was accuracy (slightly) and he threw into tight windows more.  I'm afraid there's no improving his field vision though. 

He's a bridge to the future. That's it

2 hours ago, Herb said:

i don’t see a selfish player in Daniels. 

i see just the opposite. I see someone that is too timid to make the play. 

19 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Why ask the question if you wanted a specific answer?  I stand by my original post.  They ALL sucked.

he doesn’t want a specific answer. he wants a discussion.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i don’t see a selfish player in Daniels. 

i see just the opposite. I see someone that is too timid to make the play. 

Whichever it is, its not good at all.

We need our QB coach to earn his pay and get whoever lines up behind center fully prepped.

If any LSU fan new a little about football and was honest, maybe even if was deep down, we new this year would be a bumpy road.  Sometimes you have to take your medicine before you get better. This is a medicine year for LSU.  Of the choices Fish provided I'd say passing game offense was the least bad. JD threw the ball less conservatively and our receivers caught some contested throws.  But the offense passing game still gets a "needs improvement" in conduct.

Before the season Kelly said he wanted to run the ball. Well we haven't done that this year with our running backs, like not at all. Haven't really studied the replays like I used to to try and figure out why.  Friend told me that Jeremy Hill said on the radio that what we are running is very basic zone blocking between the tackles with nothing to the outside. His theory is that the coaches don't trust our young offense line to do more.

I know the team has to take it one game at a time but we are fans so we get to discuss whatever we want! First of all there will very likely never be another QB at LSU or anywhere else that will have the 2019 season Joe Burrow had. So the statement I am about to make is an analogy not a straight up comparison.   Can JD improve from 2022 to 2023 like Joe did from 2018 to 2019? Or is what are seeing now JD's ceiling?  Nuss will be more experienced and Walker Howard will compete for the job next year.  QB room might be too crowded. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

If any LSU fan new a little about football and was honest, maybe even if was deep down, we new this year would be a bumpy road.  Sometimes you have to take your medicine before you get better. This is a medicine year for LSU.  Of the choices Fish provided I'd say passing game offense was the least bad. JD threw the ball less conservatively and our receivers caught some contested throws.  But the offense passing game still gets a "needs improvement" in conduct.

Before the season Kelly said he wanted to run the ball. Well we haven't done that this year with our running backs, like not at all. Haven't really studied the replays like I used to to try and figure out why.  Friend told me that Jeremy Hill said on the radio that what we are running is very basic zone blocking between the tackles with nothing to the outside. His theory is that the coaches don't trust our young offense line to do more.

I know the team has to take it one game at a time but we are fans so we get to discuss whatever we want! First of all there will very likely never be another QB at LSU or anywhere else that will have the 2019 season Joe Burrow had. So the statement I am about to make is an analogy not a straight up comparison.   Can JD improve from 2022 to 2023 like Joe did from 2018 to 2019? Or is what are seeing now JD's ceiling?  Nuss will be more experienced and Walker Howard will compete for the job next year.  QB room might be too crowded. 

Imo, JD is what he is. I'm surprised he doesn't throw deep more because he did at ASU, but otherwise, he's the same. 35 starts under his belt. He ain't changing

• Like 1

To be clear: I do NOT think Daniels is "good" and I doubt he ever will be. But it is absolutely laughable that fans think he's "the problem" lol. He is what he is. But the only similarity to Jordan Jefferson he has is his skin color, yet that's the comparison. Lemme know when you find a game where JJ threw for 300 and 71% completions. I'll spare you the trouble, it don't exist. Nootch already checked.

His vision sucks. The OL makes it infinitely worse. But the absolute fact is, he played his best game (against P5 competition anyway) of the year Saturday. He threw the ball into tight windows where his guy had to make a contested catch instead of waiting for them to have separation. And he was more accurate. Not laser accurate by any stretch, but far more accurate than in past games.

I just can't understand why he won't throw the ball down field. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's physically incapable. But I watched his ASU film. It was literally his biggest strength. I don't get it, unless they are telling him not to.

I DO know they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to make him a pocket QB....something he'll never be.

7 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Then he likely isn't starting next year.

But I mean can we honestly expect him to change?  He's started well over 30 games in his NCAA career.  What's going to change?  Only one thing that could help if he remains QB, and that's more creative play calling

20 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

To be clear: I do NOT think Daniels is "good" and I doubt he ever will be. But it is absolutely laughable that fans think he's "the problem" lol.

like i said in text. he's not THE problem.
but because he is who he is, he is not the guy to overcome the actual problems we have.

and let's face it, midseason it's a lot easier to make 1 change (that very well may also not work) than it is to replace 6-7 people on the field (when we straight up don't have to bodies to even try).

20 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

He is what he is. But the only similarity to Jordan Jefferson he has is his skin color, yet that's the comparison. Lemme know when you find a game where JJ threw for 300 and 71% completions. I'll spare you the trouble, it don't exist. Nootch already checked.

agreed. he's a much better thrower than JJ. 10x's the runner JJ was too.

23 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

His vision sucks.

there was a play where BTJ was all alone close to sideline before snap.
and when i say all alone, i mean there was not a single human being wearing that smokey colored didley-poo even considering going over to cover him. 
JD snapped it a threw a slant to his right without ever looking left (where BTJ was ALL BY HIMSELF with no defenders anywhere around).

he got a completion and a few yards (5-7 ish if i recall).
he could have had all of the yards that were left on the field.

so sure he threw for 300. and was not the reason we lost. AT ALL

but this defense was giving Nabers and Thomas whatever the hell they wanted.
we didn't take it.
we had a Burrow/Jefferson vs OU type opportunity.**

**Note: that's an exaggeration of course, just pointing out that the lack of negative plays does not necessarily equal good plays either.

25 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

like i said in text. he's not THE problem.
but because he is who he is, he is not the guy to overcome the actual problems we have.

and let's face it, midseason it's a lot easier to make 1 change (that very well may also not work) than it is to replace 6-7 people on the field (when we straight up don't have to bodies to even try).

agreed. he's a much better thrower than JJ. 10x's the runner JJ was too.

there was a play where BTJ was all alone close to sideline before snap.
and when i say all alone, i mean there was not a single human being wearing that smokey colored didley-poo even considering going over to cover him. 
JD snapped it a threw a slant to his right without ever looking left (where BTJ was ALL BY HIMSELF with no defenders anywhere around).

he got a completion and a few yards (5-7 ish if i recall).
he could have had all of the yards that were left on the field.

so sure he threw for 300. and was not the reason we lost. AT ALL

but this defense was giving Nabers and Thomas whatever the hell they wanted.
we didn't take it.
we had a Burrow/Jefferson vs OU type opportunity.**

**Note: that's an exaggeration of course, just pointing out that the lack of negative plays does not necessarily equal good plays either.

But better than last week?

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I agree, most likely.  Depends on the OL how whomever is QB does

Brian Kelly was asked a question in his presser today about Walker Howard and how he's progressed since the spring. He responded that in a positive way Walker believes he is the best QB in QB room right now.  Sounded very excited about his prospects for the future. He may not see the field again this year, who knows,  but he COULD start and finish the last 3 games and keep his red shirt since he's only appeared in one game thus far. Just sayin' 

• Like 3