Gameday Tigers

Film Study: LSU vs Tennessee ... 2022 (O-Line Breakdown)

Nutriaitch

similar to what i did for Jayden Daniels and Nuss against auburn, except this time i'm focus on the terrible job our o-line did (mostly in the running game)

our 2nd possession of game, just getting into the redzone.

this is John Emery's 1st carry of the game

Emery Run 1.png

we have 6 guys blocking. they have 6 guys rushing.
Should be a hat on a hat, but as you can see....they have 3 guys not even touched already in the backfield.

Emery got no gain on this snap

• Like 1

very next play of the game (Emery's 2nd carry)

Emery Run 2.png

once again, they get 3 guys all alone in our backfield. while for some reason we have 2 different defenders double teamed (red circles)

also, the way our WR's up top (Jenkins and Nabers) are acting, it seems like they're thinking RPO.
except we have 2 guys that are pushing downfield and are riiiight at the mark where a flag would be thrown (my yellow line i drew) if JD threw a pass rather than give. That tells me they are straight run blocking.
Bradford (green circle) is in pass protect mode 100%

to me this looks like multiple issues from multiple linemen on the same freaking play.

Somehow Emery got 2 yards on this one.

1st play of next possession.

Tennessee rushes 4 (against our 5 linemen)

5 for 4.png

Bradford and Dellinger (gold circle) double team one tackle
Turner and Frazier (red circle) double team the other tackle

nobody picks up the DE stunting and coming up the middle 
SOMEBODY has to recognize and call it out. Then depending on specifics either Dellinger or Turner has to put a helmet on him.

result of the play:  a sack

same possession, the 4th and 1 play.

4 and 1.png

this is just straight up power football.

and as you can see, Charles Turner has been pushed back almost 2 full yards behind the line into Josh Williams.

we obviously didn't convert.

also, if you count helmets, there are FIVE guys wearing smokey helmets that have made their way beyond the LOS.
just point blank got our asses kicked on this snap.

next play Tennessee went over the top for a TD, and the game was effectively out of reach at that point.

they actually so far in first half did a decent job of pass protection.

this was a pretty common site:
PassPro.png

that's a clean enough pocket

Receiver at very bottom of screen (Boutte?) is covered
Mason Taylor (blue circle) is covered
Malik Nabers (red circle) could maybe be thrown open, but would be a high risk pass
Jaray Jenkins (orange circle) is also covered
I guess you could maybe check it down to Williams (purple circle)

but seriously, this is what he saw almost all day.

result of play, scrambled to his right and over threw Jenkins when he got behind the defender.

also of note, this is the play Dellinger went down, so we'll see how that changes things going forward from here.

here we go.

this is the Zone Read play i mentioned in other thread.

Zone Read.png

right now the ball is in RB gut.
Daniels is reading the DE/Edge Rusher (red circle) who is crashing down in direction of red arrow.

correct read here is to keep it, which Daniels does.

problem is the Emory Jones completely whiffs on the edge rusher, gets to 2nd level and ignores the outside LB (blue circle) to engage the Middle LB.

result of play: Edge guy and outside LB both get to backfield untouched and tackle JD for a loss.

Jones has to get at least a chip on one of those 2 to allow JD a 1 on 1.
he didn't both guys were able to work together to contain him and bring him down.

4 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

very next play is another good pocket

next play.png

he steps up, anticipates, and throws a 50/50 ball to Mason Taylor (red circle) who high points it, but drops it.

this is literally exactly what me and Fish said he needs to do, and his guy  didn't bring it down.

Except he is not even looking at either Jenkins or Williams. He's fixated on the target he decided to throw to instead of scanning to see who else might be open.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Except he is not even looking at either Jenkins or Williams. He's fixated on the target he decided to throw to instead of scanning to see who else might be open.

A. it is not possible to determine that from a still shot. so i will go back and watch the play again in motion  

B. Williams is the dump valve and wouldn’t be looks at until 4th or so in progression, 

C. Jenkins is definitely NOT open at all. so hopefully he spent less than a fraction of a second looking at him. 

Dear Denbrock,

THIS is a very well designed, amazingly executed play

Good Hot Read.png

a beautiful, clean pocket

Kason Boutte (gold circle) runs a geaux route that clears a DB
Jaray Jenkins (white circle) runs a stop and throws a killer block
Mason Taylor (purple circle) runs a quick up and slant into the area vacated by Boutte

Daniels throws before Taylor breaks, hits him in stride in the clearing.

Result of play big completion to about the 3 inch line.