Gameday Tigers

Tom Petty ain't all that

Herb

24 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

how much bandwidth do you have in this site?

because i can list multiple albums that have more great songs than the entire Wildflowers collection. 

to narrow it down, i can name multiple albums just from the year 1991 (hell i can name an album that just side A kicks all of Perry’s career’s ass) that have more truly great songs than the entire Wildflowers collection. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i can name multiple albums just from the year 1991 (hell i can name an album that just side A kicks all of Perry’s career’s ass) that have more truly great songs than the entire Wildflowers collection. 

11 hours ago, Herb said:

eff the bandwidth...go for it.

ok. just from 1991

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog

• entire damn album is simply amazing and nothing Tom Petty ever recorded would be good enough to be included on it.

Metallica - Metallica

• Enter Sandman
  • Sad but True
  • Holier than Thou
  • The Unforgiven
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Wherever I May Roam

Pearl Jam - Ten (seriously, side A of this album is near perfection for an album side)

• Once
  • Evenflow
  • Alive
  • Why Go
  • Black
  • Jeremy

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears

• Mama I'm Coming Home
  • No More Tears
  • Time after Time
  • Road to Nowhere

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I

• Right Next Door to Hell
  • Live and Let Die (a cover, but still a great version)
  • Don't Cry
  • Perfect Crime
  • November Rain
  • Coma

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II

• Civil War
  • Yesterdays
  • Knockin' on Heaven's Door ( a PHENOMENAL cover)
  • Estranged
  • You Could Be Mine

Nirvana - Nevermind

• Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • In Bloom
  • Come as You Are
  • Lithium
  • Polly
  • Drain You
  • On a Plain
  • Something in the Way (although the unplugged version is better than this one)

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

• Rusty Cage
  • Outshined

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying

• The Sky is Crying
  • Little Wing (probably the only human ever that can get away with covering Jimi like this)
  • Life by the Drop

I would prefer to listen to ever single one of these songs (plus some not mentioned) over anything by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
And hell, for some of these bands I listed, this ain't even their best work.

And, that's leaving off Live and Unplugged albums that came out that year too (Paul McCartney - Unplugged was released in '91) because most of them are previously released songs by them.
It's also leaving off bands that released huge albums that year (Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2) because i don't care for them very much either.

1993 was also a damn good year.

Aerosmith - Get a Grip

• Crryin
  • Crazy
  • Amazing

Candlebox - Candlebox

• Far Behind
  • Cover Me
  • You

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

• Cherub Rock
  • Today
  • Disarm

Pearl Jam - Vs.

• Daughter
  • Dissident
  • Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
  • Indifference

Nirvana - In Utero

• Heart-Shaped Box
  • Rape Me
  • Dumb
  • Penny Royal Tea
  • All Apologies

And while I'm not a fan of Hip Hop (or gangsta rap as it was called then), I can at least acknowledge the significance that Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle had on the rest of the decade.

and for the sake of inclusion, Alice in Chains also has multiple albums with more great tunes than Tom Petty's entire career. Just none happened to be in the year listed above.

Facelift (1990)

• We Die Young
  • Man in the Box

Dirt (1992)

• Them Bones
  • Rain When I die
  • Down in a Hole
  • Rooster
  • Angry Chair
  • Would?

Jar of Flies (only an EP, not even a full album)

• Nutshell
  • I Stay Away
  • No Excuses
  • Don't Follow

It's not a discussion but more of a beatdown by Nootch (and Fishhead) for someone disagreeing with their point of view. 

I'll give an official reply later and had intended to try to keep the comparisons within the genre of Pop/Rock that Petty existed in (I'd say he was an "Americana" artist and existed in that space as opposed to Madonna or whoever .  Comparing him to GunsNRoses has as much validity as comparing him to Louis Armstrong (or your mighty example of Lawrence Welk).

I didn't care too much for his early 'Top 40' hit period of his early career, but as a songwriter (especially later in his career) he was in the upper altitude and there was a reason he was considered in the same discussion as other great songwriters. He compares more to Lyle Lovett and Elvis Costello than he does to Axel Rose. His songwriting was more lyric driven than virtuoso driven and more along the lines of Wilco than along the lines of great musicians like SRV or Frank Zappa.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

It's not a discussion but more of a beatdown by Nootch (and Fishhead) for someone disagreeing with their point of view. 

actually, I just like the debate and discussion.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I'll give an official reply later and had intended to try to keep the comparisons within the genre of Pop/Rock that Petty existed in (I'd say he was an "Americana" artist and existed in that space as opposed to Madonna or whoever .  Comparing him to GunsNRoses has as much validity as comparing him to Louis Armstrong (or your mighty example of Lawrence Welk).

Wait, when you said "Wildflowers will go down as one of the greatest collections of songs ever" you meant only in that very limited specific genre?

um. OK.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I didn't care too much for his early 'Top 40' hit period of his early career, but as a songwriter (especially later in his career) he was in the upper altitude and there was a reason he was considered in the same discussion as other great songwriters. He compares more to Lyle Lovett and Elvis Costello than he does to Axel Rose. His songwriting was more lyric driven than virtuoso driven and more along the lines of Wilco than along the lines of great musicians like SRV or Frank Zappa.

* Axl

(sorry, couldn't resist )

On 10/23/2022 at 7:08 AM, Herb said:

Makes one post in the thread: Beatdown?

Honestly Herb, most of my chit talking has been INTENDED as good natured ribbing.  

I LOVE Breakdown love, my favorite song I ever played live with a cover band, 2nd is Interstate Love Song. 

Mary Jane was always fun in a bar full of drunks because everyone knew it.  

Other than that, oh well, ho hum is my opinion of Petty.  Wildflowers, maybe if I listen to the lyrics, I might find something.  Just not a fan of his vocals to be honest. 

Now Merle Haggard...THAT was a lyricist (to me)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Honestly Herb, most of my chit talking has been INTENDED as good natured ribbing.

And I'm dishing it right back, amigo!

35 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Just not a fan of his vocals to be honest. 

Me either...never was. Even on Wallflowers. But I will say that his poor singing voice made some people feel like it was okay for them to sing out loud.  Lol.

36 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Now Merle Haggard...THAT was a lyricist (to me)

Someone I need you to turn me onto more.