Gameday Tigers

Coaching Changes 2022-Football

Nutriaitch

The Cardinal finished the season 3-9, marking their third losing season in the past four years. The post game presser included what turned out to be quite a shocking (and late) announcement, with head coach David Shaw announcing his intentions to step away from the program as the head coach. He does so as the all-time winningest coach, accumulating 94 wins which is good enough for No. 9 all-time in the Pac-12. Shaw's tenure the program win 94 game with three Pac-12 championships, while he himself took home the 2017 national coach of the year and was a four-time Pac-12 coach of the year award winner.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

did you even know Jimbo had a guy on staff with OC as his title?
me either

so why are you scared of him giving the title to anybody else?

Darrell Dickey will not return as Texas A&M's offensive coordinator

The move was widely expected, though it has very little to do with Dickey himself.

•  
  •  

Darrell Dickey will not return as Texas A&M's offensive coordinator and tight ends coach, the school has announced. Billy Liucci of TexAgs first reported the news.

The move was widely expected for the majority of the season, but not for anything Dickey did or did not do. Texas A&M started the season ranked No. 6 but finished 5-7, and won their final two games to get to five. 

Jimbo Fisher calls Texas A&M's offensive plays, and so the next move will be to see if Fisher brings in a play-calling offensive coordinator, and what type of system that coach runs.

Dickey made a reported $850,000 as a non-play calling coordinator, but A&M is pot committed to making its football program a success under Fisher, and so one has to wonder how high the Aggies might be willing to pay in the event Fisher hooks the right target.

Prior to Texas A&M, Dickey was the offensive coordinator under Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell at Memphis. He also has coordinator experience at UTEP, SMU, Utah State, New Mexico and Texas State. 

The 62-year-old Dickey spent 1998-06 as the head coach at North Texas. Though he left Denton with a 42-64 record, his tenure is one of the most successful in Mean Green history. Dickey guided UNT to five consecutive Sun Belt championships from 2001-05. The Mean Green went 32-1 in conference play during that span.

2 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Prior to Texas A&M, Dickey was the offensive coordinator under Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell at Memphis. He also has coordinator experience at UTEP, SMU, Utah State, New Mexico and Texas State. 

The 62-year-old Dickey spent 1998-06 as the head coach at North Texas. Though he left Denton with a 42-64 record, his tenure is one of the most successful in Mean Green history. Dickey guided UNT to five consecutive Sun Belt championships from 2001-05. The Mean Green went 32-1 in conference play during that span.

I'm a little disappointed in you, dad.

1991 - 1993 he was the TE coach at LSU under Hallman.

• Haha 1

I was at a friends house the other night, talking about this. Will this be enough? They had problems with the OL, how much does Jimbo have to cut from this staff? 
We knew Dickey was in his low to mid 60’s. Will he walk away? 
We were also talking about a guy that walked away, moved to Florida, doing private QB sessions. Some might remember him, he was at LSU for a while Ed Zaunbrecher. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, Nutriaitch said:

did you even know Jimbo had a guy on staff with OC as his title?
me either

so why are you scared of him giving the title to anybody else?

Because Garrett Riley is Lincoln Riley's younger brother and is the current OC at TCU. He is a huge part of Sonny Dyke's success this season (undefeated in 1st year at TCU) and Garrett Riley is on a lot of watch lists to become a head coach in the next few years.

I don't want Jimbo hiring him because I don't want Texas A&M to be that much better.

Riley being hired as OC at TAMU would probably mean a lot of players that could possibly/probably be entering the portal might actually stay at Texas A&M.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:48 AM, Nutriaitch said:

I'm a little disappointed in you, dad.

1991 - 1993 he was the TE coach at LSU under Hallman.

They have at least 3 coaches that I know of on the UGA Staff, that have been at LSU coaching. Smart was on the staff here at one time.  Stacey Serels, Todd Monken and Will Muschamp all spent time at LSU. 

4 hours ago, Herb said:

Because Garrett Riley is Lincoln Riley's younger brother and is the current OC at TCU. He is a huge part of Sonny Dyke's success this season (undefeated in 1st year at TCU) and Garrett Riley is on a lot of watch lists to become a head coach in the next few years.

I don't want Jimbo hiring him because I don't want Texas A&M to be that much better.

I would be surprised if Riley the younger would go to aTm.  It's a lateral move, OC to OC.  And Jimbo has been calling the plays.  The head coach is going to be in your business.  If Riley's working relationship with Dykes is decent, he should stay there.  Jimbo has nine years left on his guaranteed contract, so they're not firing Jimbo.  If they don't like the offense, they're firing the OC.  I would not take that gig, unless I got a five year fully guaranteed contract, and then I might not.

• Like 1

The Hugh Freeze era of Auburn is officially underway, and it will expectedly come with a lot of changes.

Matt Zenitz of On3 reported on Wednesday that Freeze has fired almost every Auburn assistant coach, save for three — former interim head coach Cadillac Williams, secondary coach Zac Etheridge and linebackers coach Christian Robinson. Williams had already been announced as a returning member in previous days.

(I passed barn today on my way to ATL, they had a bill board with the Freezer on it. They getting ready. ) Dad

On 12/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, LSUDad said:

They have at least 3 coaches that I know of on the UGA Staff, that have been at LSU coaching. Smart was on the staff here at one time.  Stacey Serels, Todd Monken and Will Muschamp all spent time at LSU. 

Watch what Monken and UGA does with his offense, he like to use 10, 11 and 12 personnel. Both Kelly and Denbrock like to do the same thing. We are just limited with players. 
Monken and Kelly were on the same staff at Grand Valley State. Monken spent 10 years in the NFL. Much of what he does, works in the NFL. It’s one of those with a lot of moving parts. 

Stacy was here at LSU, with Jimbo. Jimbo recommend Stacy to nick. 

Muschamp was on the LSU staff as a position coach for one year. Nick hired a guy who lasted less than a month, tried to hire the second guy in line from the interview. When those two turned down the job, he was left with Will. Will had came from a small college, was the DC there for one year, a position coach at LSU for one year, then elevated to DC at LSU. 

• Like 2