Gameday Tigers

Buying MORE Dirt

Fishhead

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

.  I had some warts on my leg as a child and Mom went looking for a "traiteur" to take them off.  

Warts on my finger had been burned off as a young kid multiple times by a dermatologist. It wasn't until I was "treated" by a traiteur, an man named "Pont Pont" that I was healed. I had to say a Hail Mary and Our Father ever time I saw him. Woke up one morning and they were gone and have never returned. He would not accept any money.

• Like 1

Sold the rest of my hay today

2 bales to another neighbor

3 bales to a friend from church

4 bales to another friend

And 1 bale to a friend that helps me out around here from time to time... his was free. 

Here it is as soon as he got home...

received_1713223025803127.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Picked up an old small square baler last week and put it to use over the weekend. 

The benefit over the round bales is it takes about 25 of these to make 1 round bale. I sell round bales for $65-75, and square bales for $8-10.

Do the math and it's easy to see the benefits of square bales.

Benefit of round bales over square bales, you just pick them up with the tractor instead of individually by hand.  Plus they can be left out while square bales canNOT get wet.  So you have to have storage space (barn).

First 4 bales didn't tie, just came out on the ground. After that, 100 straight perfectly tied bales. I only cut and baled about 3 acres.  Decent yield for 100+°and no rain for last 5 or 6 weeks.  Pretty impressed with this 40+ year old piece of iron!

Screenshot_20230716_174531_Messenger.jpg

20230716_191905.jpg

20230716_192154.jpg

20230717_073515.jpg

20230717_073528.jpg

• Like 2

That's the kind of baler that my GF's grandfather had. He'd pull a trailer behind the baler and we would stack them as they came off of the baler. When the trailer was full we'd take them from the trailer and stack them in his barn. All by hand of course.  I was in a little better shape then 🙂  Had to make sure all of the bales were dry and not green.  If they were too green , the decomposition could generate enough heat to start a fire.   🔥

EDIT: FH, that is a beautiful piece of land you have there.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

Square bales are what daddy and papa put up when I was young. The smell of fresh cut hay, especially alfalfa, is still one of my favorite aromas. 

A plus to the small square bales is for barn horses. That could open up a new avenue of revenue for you, @Fishhead

I miss living in the country. I love the direction you have gone with life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Me said:

Square bales are what daddy and papa put up when I was young. The smell of fresh cut hay, especially alfalfa, is still one of my favorite aromas.

i could t WAIT to leave the farm to go to football practice instead. 

my teenaged august days were. 

at the farm for dawn. 
chucking square bales until 8:30 when i left or morning practice. 

2 hours of football. 

back at the farm chucking square bales from noon-ish until 3:00 when i left for afternoon practice. 

2 more hours of football. 

back to the farm. 
chucking square bales until dark. 

rinse and repeat. 

between my grandfather, my great uncle, and their drinking buddy there was enough acreage that by the time we finished all of the fields, it was time to bale the first one again. 

ALL
SUMMER
LONG

was in hellacious shape at least. 

• Like 2