Gameday Tigers

UAB VS LSU

LSUDad

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, this will be Sr night. A number of guys that can leave, having the option, will not participate. JD, Emery, and a number of others, look to be sticking around for another year. They have bought into what Kelly has done, and will do. 

Today I got some word, kids are hitting the transfer portal, from other schools.  7 from just Uof Florida. Kelly is there re-recruiting. 

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I think some left when Billy Bob was hired. Not a good situation there. Oh well.  Wonder if Glen Guilbeau and Culotta still think we should have hired him over Kelly?

Culotta cannonballed into the deep end of the “Hire O” pool, so he’s not someone whose opinion i value very much. 

3 hours ago, LSUDad said:

FYI, this will be Sr night. A number of guys that can leave, having the option, will not participate. JD, Emery, and a number of others, look to be sticking around for another year. They have bought into what Kelly has done, and will do. 

Today I got some word, kids are hitting the transfer portal, from other schools.  7 from just Uof Florida. Kelly is there re-recruiting. 

I thought the portal doesnt open til Dec 5

I dont want to get in trouble for contacting too early - can that happen?

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

I thought the portal doesnt open til Dec 5

I dont want to get in trouble for contacting too early - can that happen?

You can declare at any time. Like I said, 7 from Florida have already made known they are out. Remember this, some kids declared after three games in the season, as to get a Red-Shirt for that year. Not burning a year. 
Yes the portal opens on Dec. 5th, with a 45 day window. You can declare now, not suppose to have contact with other teams. But it’s known, there is backdoor recruiting going on. 

I spent a little time tonight with a good friend, we discussed a number of things, players, schools, coaches, etc. He has his finger on the pulse of college, high school and pro sports. We discussed a few friends coaching in the NFL. #40 and Matt House’s defense. The improvement of our QB. What’s going on around the SEC. 

A number of things discussed. UGA and LSU in the SEC Championship. 

Will say this, lots of stuff going on at aTm, how does this one shake out, who makes it there, who has to move on. It’s a cluster, lots of noise, behind the scenes. Two more games in this season, let’s see how the rest of the SEC shakes out. aTm is 3-7, outside looking in. Most folks had aTm finishing second in the SEC West. Major letdown. After the LSU game, things will move quickly. Major overhaul. As for now, no aTm players have declared for the portal. 

Where will Auburn go for a Head Coach? Saban, he too will move some coaches. Two losses is not the norm over there. This NIL is only one of the things pecking on Saban. 

Other coaches and teams have seen what Kelly has done in his first season. We have one of the more stable programs running as for now. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 2

Does the portal window open the day after the playoff selections or the day after the championship game?

>>>EDIT<<<

Did some more digging. Looks like it is when the "championship selections" are made - which I assume to be the teams selected for the championship playoff.  Other articles I saw earlier said it opens the day after each sport "selects a champion" - which I would interpret to be after the championship game.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/8/31/media-center-division-i-board-adopts-changes-to-transfer-rules.aspx

I did see this also in the article above:

NCAA rules now will require any school that considers athletics when awarding scholarships to transfer student-athletes to provide that scholarship for the rest of a student's five-year eligibility or until they complete the requirements for their bachelor's degree, unless the student transfers again or engages in professional athletics opportunities. 

Does this mean that if you take a player from the portal and give him a scholarship that the school is obligated to keep providing a scholarship until the player either transfers out again or graduates?  That sounds like schools can't pull a scholarship from a transfer player like they can for players that previously signed a National Letter of Intent (NIL).

Am I mistaken there?

I thought all scholarships were a series of 1 year deals that a school can opt to not renew.

4 hours ago, Herb said:

Does the portal window open the day after the playoff selections or the day after the championship game?

>>>EDIT<<<

Did some more digging. Looks like it is when the "championship selections" are made - which I assume to be the teams selected for the championship playoff.  Other articles I saw earlier said it opens the day after each sport "selects a champion" - which I would interpret to be after the championship game.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/8/31/media-center-division-i-board-adopts-changes-to-transfer-rules.aspx

I did see this also in the article above:

Does this mean that if you take a player from the portal and give him a scholarship that the school is obligated to keep providing a scholarship until the player either transfers out again or graduates?  That sounds like schools can't pull a scholarship from a transfer player like they can for players that previously signed a National Letter of Intent (NIL).

Am I mistaken there?

I thought all scholarships were a series of 1 year deals that a school can opt to not renew.

Just got in touch with someone who knows the rules, it’s still 1 year. 

• Like 1

Last night I attended the Cy-Fair/ Cinco Ranch Football game. Game at 10 all, last second field goal, horn sounds in regulation, game over. Ball goes through the uprights. Cinco Ranch wins 13-10. They advance. Thanksgiving came early.
My friend is the OC for Cinco. 

They now move on to play the #1 team in the state, 12-0, Galena Park North Shore! 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 2