Gameday Tigers

aTm Vs LSU

LSUDad

Game to be televised on ESPN, at 6:00. 
LSU is 9-2, aTm is 4-7. If someone had told you LSU was 4-7 and aTm was 9-2, at this point of the season, that would have been probably more believable. No one believed LSU would have won the SEC West, that too was a reach beyond comparison.

Tickets should be easy to find, Thanksgiving break, aTm’s record, an a few off the field things, making aTm just wanting to end this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

This is aTm's bowl game, so I expect them to be up, unless there really are problems in the locker room and they just can't get up.  I think they will get up.  It is a rivalry game, 74-72 made it one.  The recruiting implications make it intense.

Their defense may be up but their offense has serious issues.  Perkins is going to feast.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dachsie said:

Their defense may be up but their offense has serious issues.  Perkins is going to feast.

The OL is their main problem. House should have no problems with this offense. 
Jimbo running much of the same stuff, their OL not being able to pick up stunts and blitzes. 

I was offered tickets, but passed. The owner of Jason’s Deli, has a private tailgate party each game, I have an open invite every game. The founder Joe Tortorice, passed away a few years ago. They still have a big tailgate, with all the Jason’s Deli food and fixing’s. 

Texas A&M will not qualify for a bowl game this year, so this game IS their de-facto bowl game. They will bring the house to try to show their players, upcoming recruits, and fans that they are still relevant.

let's not sleep on this one.

• Like 2

Busted, between 4 ounces and 5 pounds? Nice range…

Texas A&M freshman offensive lineman PJ Williams was picked up on November 19 by the College Station Police Department for the possession of marijuana between four ounces and five pounds in size. He was booked into the Brazos County Jail on November 20 and has not yet been bonded out (bond has been set at $5,000 per Brazos County records.

Williams is reportedly one of four players (along with freshman cornerback Denver Harris, freshman wide receiver Chris Marshall, and freshman defensive end Anthony Lucas) who were suspended from the program indefinitely after an off the field incident following the Aggies' game with South Carolina on October 22.

• Confused 1

Watching aTm and Jimbo, we would all like to see them implode.  Most aggie fans would like to see Jimbo fired, but they can't because of the buyout.

Thinking about next year, Jimbo will decide what he thinks needs to be done to fix things.  I hear he should fire the DC and hire an OC.  It's probably easier to fire the DC.  I think the last thing Jimbo wants to do is hire an OC.  With his contract, he may not.

He had a good season in 2021 and lost a lot off that team.  He brought in a good class for 2022 and a lot of those kids played.  He's got a few kids arrested, probably dropped from the team. 

This years freshmen become soph's.  He brings in another good class, which will be a little harder given his record, will they trust him to right the ship.  I didn't hear about aTm hitting the transfer portal hard last year, will Jimbo decide they need experience and hit the portal harder in the offseason?

My guess, aTm will have a better season next year.  Jimbo will get some thing right, and things will get better.  How much better, I don't know.

Probably enough better that he will be given the opportunity to improve again in 2024.  His buyout will still be huge, so if he's making progress, give him another season, lower the buyout.

That's how I see it. 

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Watching aTm and Jimbo, we would all like to see them implode.  Most aggie fans would like to see Jimbo fired, but they can't because of the buyout.

Thinking about next year, Jimbo will decide what he thinks needs to be done to fix things.  I hear he should fire the DC and hire an OC.  It's probably easier to fire the DC.  I think the last thing Jimbo wants to do is hire an OC.  With his contract, he may not.

He had a good season in 2021 and lost a lot off that team.  He brought in a good class for 2022 and a lot of those kids played.  He's got a few kids arrested, probably dropped from the team. 

This years freshmen become soph's.  He brings in another good class, which will be a little harder given his record, will they trust him to right the ship.  I didn't hear about aTm hitting the transfer portal hard last year, will Jimbo decide they need experience and hit the portal harder in the offseason?

My guess, aTm will have a better season next year.  Jimbo will get some thing right, and things will get better.  How much better, I don't know.

Probably enough better that he will be given the opportunity to improve again in 2024.  His buyout will still be huge, so if he's making progress, give him another season, lower the buyout.

That's how I see it. 

I’ve been talking with a few friends, you can hit the portal Dec 5th. Coaches can’t contact players. But players will contact coaches. Well, some of the aTm players have made contact about hitting the portal, then getting picked up by a team. The thing is how many are jumping ship. 

Also about Jimbo changing both coordinators, but who want to go there knowing, Jimbo might get axed in a year. Who wants to be the OC? Will Jimbo give him full reigns? Some other talk, about position coaches. 

aTm has to decide, fish or cut bait! We were talking last night, LSU looks to be, by far, one of the more stable programs, Nation wide. 

What Kelly has done in a short time, I don’t know of any coach that could have orchestrated this turn around. 

The coaches bought in day one, but it didn’t take long for the players to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I’ve been around coaches after getting fired. When is our last day, when do we turn in our loaner cars, business credit cards, office cleaned out by when? Coaches decide on their next move. A few of my college coaches I know, would drop back into high school, or smaller colleges, one went coach at a Junior College. Many of their wives have jobs. 

A good friend of mine, he’s at his 15th stop, counting college and high school. That job isn’t for everyone. Remember they have wife and kids. 

What some may not know, Todd was drafted in the 3rd round of the 1992 NFL Draft, the 60th pick by the LA Rams. Also that year, Marc Boutte was drafted in the 3rd round, the 57th pick, he too was drafted by the Rams. They were the only two players drafted that year from LSU. Just a little trivia. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, dachsie said:

Just saw the first A&M player hit the portal - Donnell Harris, Jr

I would not be shocked to see at least a dozen players hit the portal. It could be North of a dozen. 
It’s a cluster over there. Jimbo has nothing to lose, no matter what happens Saturday, it’s still a mess. 
They will have a lot of folks packing bags. Players and coaches. How many will be on the watch list. 
Shouldn’t be a close game, but remember 2018. 

• Like 2

Different Similarities: No. 5 LSU having season A&M expected to have

Identity theft is a growing problem.

It’s been growing increasingly problematic since … oh, about Oct. 1.

That’s the day Texas A&M fell behind Mississippi State, 14-0, and never recovered in a 42-24 loss that started a six-game losing streak.

That’s also the day LSU trailed 17-0 but rallied for a 21-17 victory over Auburn.

Two months later, A&M is 4-7 and hoping to beat LSU on Saturday at Kyle Field just to salvage something from a historically disappointing season.

Meanwhile, LSU is 9-2, has clinched the SEC West division title, is No. 5 in the College Football Playoff rankings and will play Texas A&M intending to remain in the national championship picture.

If that doesn’t sufficiently turn the stomachs of Aggies everywhere, consider this gut-wrenching reminder:

A&M opened the season ranked No. 6. LSU was unranked.

0175119-tjje-240x135.jpg
Stephen Lew-USA TODAY Sports
Fam-uh-lee man Brian Kelly was mocked in the preseason but has taken the Tigers where the Aggies want to be.

LSU has stolen A&M’s identity. Or, at least, the Aggies’ season.

Identity theft requires a couple of factors to be successful. The victim might be careless or at least unsuspecting. The perpetrator is conniving but smart and willing to do whatever is necessary to pull off the scam.

In retrospect, it started when linebacker Harold Perkins — who was committed to Texas A&M — flipped to LSU. Perkins is now a legitimate All-American candidate. Meanwhile, porous linebacker play is a major problem for the A&M defense, which is ranked 123rd in the nation against the run.

Perkins’ star potential was obvious. How in the name of Harvey Williams and NIL could A&M let Perkins get away?

Then the season started.

Under first-year coach Brian Kelly, LSU started slowly with a Week One loss to Florida State but consistently got better.

“There are two or three one-play games they were able to get and gain confidence from early,” A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said about LSU. “I think they kept building on those.”

For example:

In Week Three, the Tigers fell behind Mississippi State, 13-0, but rallied for a 31-16 victory.

As previously mentioned, A&M couldn’t recover from a deficit to Mississippi State.

Later, LSU held a 28-21 halftime lead over Florida. The Tigers played a strong second half to close out a 45-35 win.

A&M held a 24-20 halftime lead over Florida. But the Aggie offense went comatose in the second half, and A&M lost, 41-24.

Also, LSU had a three-point halftime lead over Ole Miss. The Tigers dominated the second half to win, 45-20.

The Aggies held a four-point halftime lead over Ole Miss but fell, 31-28.

Perhaps the most painful “different similarity” was the ending of games against Alabama.

Needing two yards for a game-winning touchdown, A&M showed no motion. Quarterback Haynes King’s pass for true freshman receiver Evan Stewart at the right pylon fell incomplete, and A&M lost, 24-20.

Needing two yards for a game-winning two-point conversion, LSU put true freshman tight end Mason Taylor in motion to create space. Quarterback Jayden Daniels completed the pass near the right pylon for the winning points in a 32-31 victory.

Daniels’ style of play even seemed to help LSU steal A&M’s season.

He has been a true dual threat. Daniels has passed for 2,377 yards. More impressive, though, he leads all quarterbacks in the nation with 740 rushing yards on 162 carries.

Consider this gut-wrenching reminder:

A&M opened the season ranked No. 6. LSU was unranked. LSU has stolen A&M’s identity. Or, at least, the Aggies’ season.

“The quarterback, in some really critical moments, has made big plays with his leg and feet,” Fisher said about Daniels. “And then throwing the football … really making those plays.”

A&M figured to get similar plays. King has always been heralded for his speed. Max Johnson was known as an effective runner.

Yet, A&M quarterbacks seemed apprehensive about running. In six games, King only rushed 29 times for 83 yards. Johnson ran 29 times for 58 yards.

Freshman Conner Weigman has been more willing to run. He has rushed 20 times for 76 yards in four games.

So, while LSU has celebrated, A&M has been frustrated.

Maybe the Aggies should analyze how LSU got to this point.

LSU endured a disappointing season last year but made necessary changes. Kelly changed the offensive system and brought in successful offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock, who calls plays and utilized the versatility of a mobile quarterback.

The Aggies should learn from LSU and maybe steal their identity next year.

But will they?

• Like 2