Gameday Tigers

LSU bowl scenarios / projections / guesses

Nutriaitch

A thread discussing who (IMO) needs to win/lose to help secure a CFP spot for LSU

Obviously, step 1 is that LSU needs to win out. period.
But or the rest of the top tier, here is my best breakdown.

1. UGA: home vs Georgia Tech ; SEC CG.
Them losing to Tech is not necessarily a requirement, but if there is one spot left between us and them, i'd feel a LOT better if they had the same number of losses as us than if they were sitting there as defending champs with fewer losses.

2/3. tOSU/Michigan: play each other today (@ tOSU) ; B1G Championship game.
tOSU has a much better SOS so far. meaning if Michigan squeaks by, t OSU could possibly still wiggle their way into the CFP.  Best case for us is tOSU win comfortably (at least 2 scores) and smacks whoever wins the west, looking like Iowa.

4. TCU: home vs Iowa St. ; Big XII CG.
pretty simple. they need to drop a game.  doesn't matter which one really, but a loss in the CG would help out a little more.

6. USC: same as TCU. need a loss here. any loss will do for them.

8. Clemson:  Say what you want about their schedule, but I don't want to be sitting there with 2 losses up against a 1 loss name brand like Clemson. So maybe the Cocks can help us out again.

• Like 1

games with indirect bearing on our chances:

Tennessee vs Vandy:  Tennessee staying in the top 10 is HUGE. really need them to just blow the doors off of Vanderbilt.

Florida State beating Florida was also pretty big. if teams 11-15 can lose to somehow sneak FSU up around #10, would be a very sweet bonus for us.

Don't know if Ole Miss can stay in top 25 after yesterday, but that would help.  But in reality, they are 8-0 against complete crap. 0-4 against teams with any sort of a pulse.

• Nutriaitch changed the title to LSU bowl scenarios / projections / guesses

so after yesterday, bowl projections are as clear as mud.

Playoffs are off the table, but the other 4 slots (and maybe a 5th) are all still possible.

When the new rankings come out Tuesday, we'll almost assuredly be behind Alabama.  Question is, do we fall past Tennessee?
Clemson and Oregon losing eliminates the "buffer" we had between us and them. 

my gut:
1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. tOSU
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn St.
9. LSU
10. K-State

so assuming this is the order when the committee reveals next rankings, my opinion of what needs to happen / likelihood of it happening for each possible bowl in upcoming posts.

• Like 1

Sugar Bowl vs Big XII (likely K-State, outside possibility of TCU):

highest ranked Big XII not in playoffs.
TCU likely in playoffs, so it will be K-State.
if K-State wins the Big XII title game, they may jump over the Frogs and take this spot.

the best possible bowl still on the table for us, but also the least likely to happen.

step one, we have to beat UGA.
then somehow we need to be the highest ranked SEC team not in the playoffs.

how does that happen? y'all don't want to know.

Georgia AND Alabama will need to be in the playoffs and the committee will have to jump us back over Tennessee.
I just don't see that happening.

I think the committee will keep tOSU ahead of Alabama to help avoid the precedence of a 2 loss non-division champ getting in.

meaning Alabama is most likely the SEC representative in the Sugar.

Orange vs ACC (Clemson or UNC):

Highest ranked ACC team not in playoffs, so will most likely be winner of ACC Championship game.

opponent is highest ranked remaining non-playoff team between: Big Ten, Notre Dame, and SEC.

so again, step one is beating Georgia. then Alabama would have to be left out of playoffs and in the Sugar.
we will definitely be higher than Notre Dame who just lost their 4th game.
i also think we will likely be ahead of Ped State.

question is who is in front of who between us and Tennessee.
we'd have an SEC title, but they'd have fewer losses and of course a lopsided win in our stadium.

odds are definitely more in our favor for this one than the Sugar, but still not a very likely possibility.

Cotton vs At Large (maybe Tulane)?

depending on how far we fall, an agonizingly close loss to UGA may still keep us eligible for this one.

easiest path would be:
Georgia and Gumps both in playoffs.
Tennessee in Sugar
Ped State in Orange, and top 15 LSU in Cotton.

honestly speaking this scenario probably needs the most very specific set of scenarios to play out.
crazy thing is those very exact scenarios are actually not far fetched. It's just whether or not they all happen.

again, my guess is that this just doesn't happen either.

Citrus vs Big Ten (Purdue or Illinois):

best B1G team not in a NY6 vs best SEC team not in NY6
assuming Michigan in playoffs, tOSU in Rose Bowl, Ped State in Orange Bowl.
leaving us with either B1g CG loser Purdue, or maybe Illinois if they jump Purdue

this is (or should be) our floor, and in all honesty the safest bet if you have to put money on a destination.

a loss in SEC CG and this is all but guaranteed our destination. With a close win, this could still be where we end up.
i just don't see us falling low enough for either of the Mississippi schools or a shockingly resurgent South Carolina to catch us in polls for this spot.

• Like 1

so my "official" SEC Bowl guesses (be interesting to check back next week and see how i did)

UGA - CFB Playoffs
Alabama - Sugar
Tennessee - Orange
LSU - Citrus
Mississippi State - Texas Bowl
Ole Miss - Las Vegas Bowl
So Carolina - ReliaQuest Bowl (formerly the Outback)
Florida - Liberty Bowl
Kentucky - Music City Bowl
Arkansas - Gator Bowl
Missouri - Birmingham Bowl

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Nutriaitch said:

Sugar Bowl vs Big XII (likely K-State, outside possibility of TCU):

step one, we have to beat UGA.
then somehow we need to be the highest ranked SEC team not in the playoffs.

upon further digging, this is not an accurate statement.

the SEC Champion still automatically goes to Sugar (if team and/or bowl are not part in the CFP).
my confusion was due it being an extremely rare instance where the SEC champ would NOT be in the CFP.

• Like 1

FAQs:

1) Which SEC Team qualifies for the CFP?

The winner of the SEC Championship Game automatically qualifies for a spot in the Sugar Bowl if that team is not selected to participate in the four-team playoff. If the SEC Champion is selected to participate in the four-team playoff it will play in the Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. The next highest-ranked SEC team not in the four-team playoff goes to the Sugar Bowl.

https://www.secsports.com/article/18165241/bowl-selection-process

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, Nutriaitch said:

so my "official" SEC Bowl guesses (be interesting to check back next week and see how i did)

UGA - CFB Playoffs
Alabama - Sugar
Tennessee - Orange
LSU - Citrus
Mississippi State - Texas Bowl
Ole Miss - Las Vegas Bowl
So Carolina - ReliaQuest Bowl (formerly the Outback)
Florida - Liberty Bowl
Kentucky - Music City Bowl
Arkansas - Gator Bowl
Missouri - Birmingham Bowl

im sticking with these picks too. 

anyone else want to make guesses before the selection show at 11?