Gameday Tigers

College Football Playoff Expanding to 12 Teams 2024

Hatchertiger

The College football landscape is changing once again. Like it or not (I don't) the playoffs are expanding from 4 to 12 teams. If we are sitting in the same position, #14, 2 years from now, we will be hoping to move up only 2 spots to make the playoffs. As a result of the Rose Bowl agreeing to amend its contract, the expansion is being moved up to 2024.  Unless an agreement is reached Texas and Oklahoma are set to join the SEC on July 1, 2025.  The arrival of both teams will probably be the end of the two divisions in the SEC.  It will be interesting to see how SEC games will be scheduled with the conference expanding from 14 to 16 teams and no divisions.  Will the traditional rivalries be maintained each year?  Obviously even with no out of conference games every SEC  team can't play every other school in a 12 game season.  I could see the schedule changing from 8 to 10 SEC games and only 2 out of conference games. 

• Like 1

I like expanding the playoff to 12 teams.  As I understand, the top 4 teams will get a bye, and the lower ranked 8 teams will play each other (that's 4 games).  Then the four winners will start playing the top 4 teams that got the bye.  It will eliminate the complaining (most of it) about not making the playoff, especially if it proves out that almost always the winner came from the group that got the bye.  Then the committee could say, "see, we told you so, we were getting it right with the top 4 teams".

with TX and Okla, I read the SEC was talking about four 4-team "pods" but I didn't see anything else.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:21 PM, houtiger said:

I like expanding the playoff to 12 teams.  As I understand, the top 4 teams will get a bye, and the lower ranked 8 teams will play each other (that's 4 games).  Then the four winners will start playing the top 4 teams that got the bye.  It will eliminate the complaining (most of it) about not making the playoff, especially if it proves out that almost always the winner came from the group that got the bye.  Then the committee could say, "see, we told you so, we were getting it right with the top 4 teams".

with TX and Okla, I read the SEC was talking about four 4-team "pods" but I didn't see anything else.

12 is at least 8 teams too many