Gameday Tigers

LSU QB situation

houtiger

What about next year?  Nuss vs Daniels vs Howard. 

Nuss seems to see the field better, hits his receivers on time and he was accurate.  Maybe coaching from Sloan.  But he put a spark in the team for two full quarters against the #1 team in the nation.  Nabers liked it, trust your receivers and put the ball up and let us go get it.

Daniels improved to the middle of the season, then it looked like he regressed the last 3 games, which we lost the last  (one against a mediocre aTm team).

If Daniels comes back, and given his regression my guess is he needs to come back, what will Nuss do?  Stay or enter the portal?

Nuss is a redshirt freshman, so he has 3 years to play.  He could do like Matt Flynn, wait his turn another year (his redshirt soph) and try to beat out Howard when he's a redshirt Jr.  That would get the job for Nuss for 2 years which is pretty good, but Howard would probably transfer and we could deal with that, we have a good commit for 2024 class already.

If Nuss stays, will there be an open competition for the starters job next year?  If Daniels wins the job in the spring, would Nuss transfer?

If Nuss transferred it would not be the end of the world, unless you think he should be the starter and Kelly picked the wrong guy.  We do have Howard could be the backup next year, and we will have 4* Ricky Collins coming in.

Daniels is a great runner, but not a great passer.  He's inconsistent.  His receivers don't shine as a result, might one or two transfer for a better passing attack?

I only know what I see in the games. The coaches see them every day in practice. The good news for LSU is that we have viable options at QB.  We need to get past the NFL and transfer deadline before we know what that room will look like next year.  W/ KB coming back who the QB will be does not appear to be an issue.

Another question is how many QB's will stay on a team these days, with the portal being there?

I don't see more than 3 being around.  The starter, a quality backup who expects to get the job for 2 years eventually, and a freshman or redshirt frosh who is being developed.  I think if there is a fourth guy, he will transfer for an opportunity to play.  My answer is 3, properly spaced.

45 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Another question is how many QB's will stay on a team these days, with the portal being there?

I don't see more than 3 being around.  The starter, a quality backup who expects to get the job for 2 years eventually, and a freshman or redshirt frosh who is being developed.  I think if there is a fourth guy, he will transfer for an opportunity to play.  My answer is 3, properly spaced.

There are SO many QBs entering the portal that I don't see all that many of them "upgrading" teams. I think Nuss, Sr. will advise his son to stay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now we know Daniels is coming back to LSU for his final season.  Next season will be Daniels last, Nuss will be a RS, Howard a RF, and Rickie Collins comes in.

I don't think Nuss would mind waiting a year if he thought he'd win the job as a RJ.  But with Howard behind him, will he win the job?

I think its too early for Nuss to jump in the portal, too many unknowns.  I think he stays for the 2023 season, goes through the spring camp, and if he loses to Howard, jump in the portal in spring 2023.

Nuss should stay through Spring. If that fails, a smaller school may be in his future. We have had QB’s leave and do ok. He too could be the next to leave. Wherever he goes, competition is there. 

He had a good game in the SEC Championship, but UGA pulled some starters, and Mushchamp wasn’t ready for a guy throwing downfield. Kind of like when Mauck came in against Tenn. 

Still should be good fight among the QB’s in the Spring. How good was Kelly? He got Ian Book drafted to the Saints! 

As for Matt, the guy that got nick his first NC! 

Title-winning LSU QB Matt Mauck describes his strained relationship with Nick Saban

Title-winning LSU QB Matt Mauck describes his strained relationship with Nick Saban

Back in 2003, Nick Saban won his first of 6 titles, leading LSU to the national championship.

The Tigers were quarterbacked by Matt Mauck. Recently, Mauck revealed that he doesn’t think Saban cared for him very much.

As you can see below in an interview with Jacques Doucet, Mauck says Saban never really wanted him to start at quarterback in the first place:

-zGkXGCF_x96.jpg

Matt Mauck's Difficult Relationship With Nick Saban "I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. He's a great, great coach. But I don't think we're having beers together anytime soon." The two paired up to win the 2003 national championship at #LSU, but it was strained. 

Video in this link. 

• Like 1

LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels will return to Baton Rouge in 2023.

Daniels chose not to walk at senior day in November, which hinted at a good possibility of him staying put. This was his fourth year as a starter but just his first at LSU after transferring from Arizona State.

With Daniels’ return, the QB position is stabilized, and there’s a good argument to make there’s not a better returning quarterback in the conference. You’re always going to get a good bit of coach-speak when talking about quarterbacks. The staff could say “it’s an open competition,” but this is Daniels’ job to lose.

In a year where the expectations for LSU weren’t high, Daniels helped lead the Tigers to an SEC West title. His clutch performances against Florida, Ole Miss and Alabama carried LSU through the toughest stretch of its season.

Daniels has his critics and he isn’t perfect. He struggled to get the ball out at times, wasn’t always willing to push it down the field, and had a couple of games where he didn’t look good at all.

But Daniels’ play was a plus for LSU. There aren’t many other ways to put it. There could be ripple effects. One of LSU’s younger quarterbacks could hit the portal, but that’s how this business works.

When you have a known quantity at quarterback, someone you know you can with, that’s a luxury. That’s what LSU has in Daniels. Look around the SEC. Alabama and Georgia will both be breaking in new quarterbacks in 2023.

Anthony Richardson, Will Levis, and Hendon Hooker are off to the NFL.

Mississippi State, Arkansas and Ole Miss are well positioned. I’d expect Will Rogers, K.J. Jefferson, and Jaxson Dart to stick around, but you could argue Daniels is better than all of them.

According to PFF, Daniels posted a better offensive grade than any QB slated to return. ESPN’s QBR had Jefferson just above Daniels. They ranked 17th and 18th in the country.

He ranked third, behind Young and Hooker.

Texas A&M has to like what it has with Conner Weigman, and we’ll see if South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler puts it together for a full year, but both guys are less proven than Daniels.

Along with Daniels, LSU will return its entire offensive line, at least a couple of experienced running backs, and the crown jewels of it all could be a wide receiver group headlined by Kayshon Boutte and Malik Nabers.

Throw in Mason Taylor, who could be a budding star at tight end, with some talented incoming freshmen, and this is an LSU offense loaded with talent and experience.

Offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock seemed to grasp his personnel better as the year went on — the entire LSU staff did. He’ll now have another offseason to build his offense. He doesn’t have to limit anything, he doesn’t have to spend a few weeks experimenting — he should know what works.

That’s a big deal for an offense that struggled to find its rhythm at times. Daniels’ time at Arizona State was marred by the pandemic, the program’s issues with the NCAA, and an ever-changing offensive staff.

He no longer has to put up with that. He gets to play with better talent too. LSU and Daniels have provided each other with stability. It’s the most stable LSU’s QB position has been since Joe Burrow returned in 2019.

That’s what Brian Kelly was tasked with doing when he took the job.

Daniels and this offense have a chance to post some prolific numbers next fall. The expectations will be high, the polar opposite of what they were entering this year.

Daniels is in a rare position. Very few quarterbacks get to play a fifth-year already having this much experience and being surrounded by so much talent.

We’ll see if this team is able to make the most of it.

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Nuss should stay through Spring. If that fails, a smaller school may be in his future. We have had QB’s leave and do ok. He too could be the next to leave. Wherever he goes, competition is there. 

He had a good game in the SEC Championship, but UGA pulled some starters, and Mushchamp wasn’t ready for a guy throwing downfield. Kind of like when Mauck came in against Tenn. 

Still should be good fight among the QB’s in the Spring. How good was Kelly? He got Ian Book drafted to the Saints! 

As for Matt, the guy that got nick his first NC! 

Back in 2003, Nick Saban won his first of 6 titles, leading LSU to the national championship.

The Tigers were quarterbacked by Matt Mauck. Recently, Mauck revealed that he doesn’t think Saban cared for him very much.

Matt Mauck's Difficult Relationship With Nick Saban "I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. He's a great, great coach. But I don't think we're having beers together anytime soon." The two paired up to win the 2003 national championship at #LSU, but it was strained. 

Video in this link. 

Very cool interview!  That seems consistent with other descriptions of Saban, totally focused on winning the natty at all times.

• Like 1

Maybe I just have a sour taste in my mouth, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Nuss leaves after he let us go through that bowl game last year without a QB.  I don't want to lose him, but I suspect he will walk if he is not the starter.  Definitely don't want to lose Howard tho.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, dachsie said:

Maybe I just have a sour taste in my mouth, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Nuss leaves after he let us go through that bowl game last year without a QB.  I don't want to lose him, but I suspect he will walk if he is not the starter.  Definitely don't want to lose Howard tho.

Walker showed today he isn't physically ready. He looked small. 

Ideally, all 3 stay through 2023.

Assuming JD wins the job, Nuss knows he'll get game reps with a running QB built like a javelin in front of him, and Walker has to realize he needs another year to develop.  Nuss could win the job outright.