Gameday Tigers

LSU Roster turnover (2022 - 2023)

Nutriaitch

Will try to keep this updated with who is staying and who is leaving.

waiting for "official" announcements before listing them here. 

Leaving for Draft:
DB -Jay Ward (LINK)
DB - Mekhi Garner (LINK)
DL - Ali Gaye (LINK)
EDGE - BJ Ojulari (LINK)
WR - Jaray Jenkins (LINK)
DL - Jacquelin Roy (LINK)
WR - Kayshon Boutte (LINK)
LB - Mike Jones Jr (LINK)
OL - Anthony Bradford (LINK)

In Portal:
LB - Desmond Little (LINK)
DB - Damarious McGhee (LINK)
LB - Phillip Webb (LINK)**
LB - Kolbe Fields (LINK)
OL - Xavier Hill (LINK)
QB - Walker Howard (LINK)
LB - Zavier Carter (LINK)

Transferred/Officially Found a New Home:
DB - Jordan Toles (LINK - Morgan State)*
DB - Raydarious Jones (LINK - Mississippi State)
WR - Jack Bech (LINK - TCU)
OL - Cam Wire (LINK - Tulane)
OL - Marcus Dumervil (LINK - Maryland)
TE - Kole Taylor (LINK - West Virginia)
LB - Demario Tolan (LINK - Auburn)
LB - Antoine Sampah (LINK - Campbell)**
DB/RB - Derrick Davis (LINK - Pitt)

Returning to LSU!
RB - Josh Williams (LINK)
QB - Jayden Daniels (LINK)
DB - Greg Brooks (LINK)
 P - Jay Bramblett (LINK)
RB - John Emery Jr (LINK)

TransferrING to LSU:
WR (from Alabama) - Aaron Anderson (LINK)
DB (from A&M) - Denver Harris (LINK)
EDGE (from Oregon) - Braydn Swinson (LINK)
DL (from Florida) - Jalen Lee (LINK)
EDGE (from Arizona) - Paris Shand (LINK)
NT/DT (from West Virginia) - Jordan Jefferson (LINK)
CB (from Syracuse) - Darian “Duce” Chestnut (LINK)
CB (from Ohio State) - JK Johnson (LINK)
CB (from Southeastern LA) Zy Alexander (LINK)

*not sure why Jordan Toles is listed as being in the portal from LSU. He left during camp and played with Morgan State this season.

** Sampah and Webb both left the team in August and weren't listed on the roster this season, but are now officially in the portal.

• Like 3

Guys with remaining eligibility that are also draft eligible (only listing guys that have contributed at least somewhat):

WR - Kyren Lacy
RB - Noah Cain
OL - Charles Turner
OL - Marlon Martinez
DB - Sevyn Banks
DL - Ali Gaye **
DB - Greg Brooks
TE - Kole Taylor *

DL - Jaquelin Roy
RB - Josh Williams
EDGE - BJ Ojulari
QB - Jayden Daniels
OL - Cam Wire

DB - Mekhi Garner
LB - Mike Jones Jr
P - Jay Bramblett
RB - John Emery Jr
OL - Anthony Bradford

*I've seen some reports that Kole Taylor has entered the portal and some saying that is false. So until i see something official looking, I'll leaWR - Jaray Jenkinsve him right here

** Ali Gaye only played 4 games in 2021, so technically has a redshirt still available to him.

• Like 2

• Nutriaitch changed the title to LSU Roster turnover (2022 - 2023)

Evidently a part of our brilliant special teams unit?

In 2022, his first season with LSU, Fields played in 11 games, making five total tackles.

He appeared in four games in the 2021 season for South Carolina, recording his lone tackle against Florida. Fields entered the NCAA Transfer Portal last spring, taking his talents to Baton Rouge

I'd hate to see Wire go for OL depth reasons.

He and Bech would be the most high profile losses to the portal so far.

I love Bech, but next year he'll likely be further down the depth chart than he is now assuming our current WR commits for the incoming class stick. I honor and understand that he is doing what he needs to do for chasing his dreams.

Cam Wire might be in the same category, though. We have 2 stud Freshmen that started this year and we have about 3 highly rated incoming OL guys in the 2023 class all of whom will likely sign on early signing day (which is less than 1 week away). If he enters the portal, we'll miss the veteran depth he provides (all discussions about the effectiveness of his play aside).

I don't fault most kids that enter the portal to chase their dreams unless they do it for reasons like Benedict Ricks did.

44 minutes ago, Herb said:

I'd hate to see Wire go for OL depth reasons.

He and Bech would be the most high profile losses to the portal so far.

I love Bech, but next year he'll likely be further down the depth chart than he is now assuming our current WR commits for the incoming class stick. I honor and understand that he is doing what he needs to do for chasing his dreams.

Cam Wire might be in the same category, though. We have 2 stud Freshmen that started this year and we have about 3 highly rated incoming OL guys in the 2023 class all of whom will likely sign on early signing day (which is less than 1 week away). If he enters the portal, we'll miss the veteran depth he provides (all discussions about the effectiveness of his play aside).

I don't fault most kids that enter the portal to chase their dreams unless they do it for reasons like Benedict Ricks did.

yeah, Wire would add depth, but he's a guy that (hopefully) wouldn't see much time on the field next year.

LSU Tigers offensive lineman Cameron Wire has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, per On3′ Matt Zenitz.

Cameron Wire played high school football at East Ascension (Louisiana), where he was a four-star prospect. He was the No. 379 overall recruit in the 2018 cycle, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

• Like 1

State of the LSU Tight End Room, Reinforcements On The Way

Mason Taylor remains the only scholarship TE on roster, but help is on the way.

Heading into the 2022 season, LSU’s tight end room was one that lacked significant depth. With true freshman Mason Taylor turning heads and emerging as a starter during fall camp, and Kole Taylor handling backup duties, it was an efficient one-two punch. 

Aside from the two, this room remained thin. On Thursday, [Kole] Taylor entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, leaving this tight end room with just one scholarship player.

Where does this unit go from here? Are reinforcements on the way? 

We took a dive into the state of the LSU tight end room:

Mason Taylor - Freshman - Starter

LSU tight end Mason Taylor has become a key contributor to the Tigers’ offensive success over the last few months. The true freshman quickly became the hero in the Bayou Bengals’ upset victory over Alabama, but to him that was just the introduction.

Taylor has been making highlight reel plays his entire career, and now the chance to do it on the biggest stage, it’s all he’s ever wanted. The son of NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor, it sets lofty expectations, but Mason is simply looking to create his own path.

Taylor reeled in 33 receptions for 326 yards and two touchdowns in his freshman campaign with the Tigers, but no catch was greater than his two-point conversion to defeat Alabama. The future of this position for LSU, this program is in good hands.

Kole Taylor - Junior - Entered Transfer Portal 

LSU tight end Kole Taylor has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, he announced via social media on Thursday. He will have two years of eligibility remaining. 

Taylor caught five passes for 55 yards this season for the Tigers, but saw limited snaps with freshman phenom Mason Taylor handling starting duties. 

In 2021, Taylor played in 12 games with three starts while adding six receptions for 68 yards and a touchdown.

Mac Markway - 2023 Commit

LSU’s lone tight end commit took in his first LSU game day against Tennessee and continues to reaffirm his love for the Tigers ever since. 

If you check Markway’s social media accounts, it’s evident he already bleeds purple and gold and this program is surely getting something special in the dynamic tight end.

Markway has the ability to be a dominant blocker for the Tigers. He’s big enough to hammer safeties in space, or a linebacker, as well as help to set the edge against a defensive end during an outside zone play. Regardless of what he does, he’s physical.

He’s also a prime target near the goal line or during short yardage because he’s such a good blocker that teams will come downhill at him. If a linebacker or safety negates the pass coverage responsibility with Markway, there’s a chance to strike. That will leave plenty of play-action passing situations available for Markway and the Tigers.

Jackson McGohan - 2023 Target

Less than a week after receiving an offer from LSU, Miamisburg (Ohio) tight end Jackson McGohan‍ decommitted from Cincinnati and opened up his recruiting process. 

With a visit to Baton Rouge inching closer, the Tigers’ recruitment of McGohan has ramped up in a big way.

McGohan has a solid relationship with LSU offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock. The two formed a bond when Denbrock was at Cincinnati, carrying it over when he ultimately took the job with LSU.

The high three-star tight end will be in Death Valley for a visit this weekend as Early National Signing Day vastly approaches and things are beginning to trend positively.

• Like 1

Kelly has been meeting with Players and families, doing what’s best for the player. Be it at LSU, or for them to move on. Always doing what’s best for the player. If it’s best they enter the portal, declare for the NFL or whatever needs to be done at LSU. As always, Kelly has an end result. 

If you want to call them the starters from last year, Boutte, Jenkins and one from these two, Thomas/Nabers. Yep, three returning on the offense. 

The other side of the ball, Gaye, Bj, Baskerville and Ward. 

To do what was done by this staff, win the West, beat Gumps, play in the SEC Championship game, a chance for a 10 win season, nothing short of unbelievable. Building a roster from 39 players, some of those had never played in a college game. Taking players from the portal, hanging on the verbals from the previous staff. I said in all my years, I’ve never seen such a depleted roster at LSU, I don’t know how many times I’ve said this. I’ve often said this will be Kelly’s worst roster, it will continue to get better. 

The continuation of roster and staff changes will get Kelly where he wants to be. 

His transition has been enjoyable to watch. Building from the ground up. Talking with coaches I know within the profession, they too, never thought Kelly could pull this season off. I’ve posted as to what most professional people within college football thought, it was going to take him a few years. He had to get his players in, could he mesh with the culture, is he a fit, etc. Some had him last in the SEC West, just too big a task. 

• Like 2

Derrick Davis, a former top 100 safety recruit who LSU moved to running back late this season, announced Monday night he entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Davis signed out of Pittsburgh as the No. 4 overall safety in the 2021 class, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Brian Kelly said he would redshirt this year to preserve an extra season after moving to running back.

As a freshman last year, Davis appeared in 12 games. Primarily on special teams, he made two tackles. He remained a backup after LSU brought in two veteran transfer safeties to bolster the position. Davis has three more years of eligibility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Derrick Davis, a former top 100 safety recruit who LSU moved to running back late this season, announced Monday night he entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Davis signed out of Pittsburgh as the No. 4 overall safety in the 2021 class, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Brian Kelly said he would redshirt this year to preserve an extra season after moving to running back.

As a freshman last year, Davis appeared in 12 games. Primarily on special teams, he made two tackles. He remained a backup after LSU brought in two veteran transfer safeties to bolster the position. Davis has three more years of eligibility.

added to the opening post

• Like 1