Gameday Tigers

Jimbo, “Tampering Occurring In The Transfer Portal!”

LSUDad

I thought this one might need it own thread! 

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher: 'Utterly ridiculous' amount of tampering occurring in NCAA Transfer Portal 

ByDEAN STRAKA 21 hours ago
Tampering concerns are rampant in college football as teams continue to navigate the era of name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation for players. Texas A&M football head coach Jimbo Fisher didn't mince words Wednesday, claiming an "utterly ridiculous" amount of NIL-influenced tampering is occurring with offenders facing virtually zero ramifications.

"I knew eventually there would be pay-for-play, but I did not know it would be NIL like it came about," Fisher told reporters Wednesday during Texas A&Ms early signing period press conference. "The problem with all of it is that there is no consistency and rules. And then when you get into the (transfer portal), there is so much tampering going on. It is utterly ridiculous. It is a joke. It's an absolute joke. We are only in college football. I heard (UTSA coach Jeff Traylor) the other day say that everybody was robbing their players and taking their players. ... I mean this is not good for college football, as far as how it's done. I'm not saying being able to transfer is bad. I'm not saying paying players bad. But the current status of the rules and the way it's done and how it's done? It's ridiculous. It's here. Everybody has the same issues and same problems.

Fisher said he fears those who skirt the rules will continue to be rewarded, though the Texas A&M coach isn't losing hope entirely.

"The ones that keep pushing the rules and breaking them will be rewarded," Fisher added. "And the others have to keep fighting, scratching and clawing to do things the right way. You can do it that way and win. Always have."

Fisher's program was at the epicenter of claims surrounding recruitment and NIL this past spring. Alabama head coach Nick Saban alleged in May that Texas A&M "bought" its record-setting 2022 recruiting class with NIL incentives, a claim which Fisher did not take lightly. The Texas A&M coach fired back at Saban in a press conference that same week, claiming he was "done" with his former boss at LSU.

As Fisher referenced Wednesday, he's not the first FBS head coach in the state of Texas to voice frustration this week over the lack of enforcement on NCAA tampering rules. UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor took to social media earlier in the week to air his grievances over teams allegedly attempting to tamper with his players and facing little to no consequences. Traylor is 30-10 as a head coach at UTSA and recently pushed back against power five interest.

"Dear @NCAAFootball How does@UTSAFTBL report Power 5 Schools who are trying to poach our young talent," Traylor rhetorically asked on Twitter. "How much evidence do we really need to make this not be a part of our game?"

Washington State head coach Jake Dickertalso recently made headlines when alleging mass tampering. Dickert, ahead of Washington State's LA Bowl matchup with Fresno State, claimed a coach from another school recently tried to entice a Cougars player to transfer based on NIL incentives

"There's more tampering going on than you could ever imagine," Dickert told reporters earlier in the week. "We've had guys contact our players' parents. We had a coach from another school contact one of our players and offer him (an) NIL. A coach."

Comments by Fisher, Traylor and Dickert all highlight the key issue at the intersection of NIL and the NCAA Transfer Portal. Not only does the current generation of players have the ability to profit off their talent for the first time in NCAA history, but movement from one school to another is easier than ever with the emergence of the portal and, more recently, the rule allowing for undergraduate athletes to transfer once with immediate eligibility.

Tampering is punishable by show-cause penalties and the loss of scholarships at a minimum — the usual NCAA fare. But the problem is the NCAA has so infrequently enforced penalties for tampering in this era, and those in the industry say it'd take a fool to get caught.

"If you get caught on-the-record tampering, you're and idiot and you deserve to get punished," said one director of player personnel earlier in the year to 247Sports' Chris Hummer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher: 'Utterly ridiculous' amount of tampering occurring in NCAA Transfer Portal 

um, JImbo....

it's not tampering once you're IN the transfer portal.

the portal's entire reason for existence is for players to see what other options he has (i.e. basically get recruited all over again).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

um, JImbo....

it's not tampering once you're IN the transfer portal.

the portal's entire reason for existence is for players to see what other options he has (i.e. basically get recruited all over again).

Wasn’t he busting on saban last year around this time? 

58 minutes ago, Herb said:

All Jimbo has to do is provide credible evidence of ONE instance where another team tampered with one of his players who then entered the portal. Until then, enjoy the sounds of the crickets.

he can't

because the moment he does, then ever secret he's ever had comes out from every coach he's ever worked with.

4 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

he can't

because the moment he does, then ever secret he's ever had comes out from every coach he's ever worked with.

Agreed.

He's complaining because all of the kids that got enough money for new cars now realize they need highlight reels to get drafted so they are going elsewhere.

Nobody is going to call the coach to illegally recruit his player.  A "friend" of the university, or a friend of a friend, will call the player to see if there is interest.  If the player does not go to the coach and record calls, that is the only way you are going to get evidence.  It's a lot of work and risk for the player, he could get caught up in court testimony, he'd probably rather avoid.  So, short of the FBI getting interested (they did record the LSU basketball coach), I don't think you are going to get any evidence.

Many coaches will not turn in another, one day you are recruiting against an assistant, the next year, you are on the same staff. 

One Coach I brought up his name on here a few days ago, his brother had more information on behind the scenes stuff. Name a player, he knew it all. Great guy to eat and do drinks with. One time having lunch with a bunch of these coaches, the coach setting next to me said, “Watch this!” When the waitress came back to the table, he yells across the table at her,”I’ll take the bill!” Then the guys started to argue, as to who was going to pay. 

I got invited after a college game here in Houston, we were all heading to a big restaurant close to the stadium. The coaches wives were ordering bottles of wine, appetizers hit the table. Great food, close to the end I was asking one of my coaching friends about putting up some cash, or towards the tip. He point to one of the Coaches and said,”He makes $800k, he’s got it!” 

Jimbo and the short guy were recruiting two players out of Tx, I got a fax as to what was going down. Jimbo got the same fax. Both were LB’s. A coach in Tx sent me the information. 

I have a number of stories. 

One stat tells you everything you need to know about the current state of Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher.

Following an incredibly disappointing 5-7 season, the Aggies currently lead all of college football with 24 players in the transfer portal, according to Max Olson.

Florida and Arkansas are second and third with 22 and 21 players attempting to leave. The average P5 school has 10.4 players attempting to find new landing spots.

K-ydNqGM_x96.jpg

Most P5 scholarship players in the transfer portal so far in this 2022-23 cycle
1. Texas A&M 24
2. Florida 22
3. Arkansas 21
4. Arizona 20
5. Miami 18

Average among P5 so far is 10.4 entries per school.

Paul Finebaum rips Jimbo Fisher for NIL, portal complaints: 'He is a diminished figure'

Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher did not mince words Wednesday when asked about the impact of NIL compensation on the NCAA transfer portal, becoming the latest coach to allege widespread tampering in the form of schools incentivizing players to transfer for monetary gain. Like several others in the sport, SEC Network's Paul Finebaum was quick to call out the Aggies coach, claiming that Fisher is a "diminished figure" after Texas A&M finished 5-7 this season. The Aggies also lead the nation with 24 players in the transfer portal.

"The problem with (NIL), all of it, is that there is no consistency and rules," Fisher said."And then when you get into the (transfer portal), there is so much tampering going on. It is utterly ridiculous. It is a joke. It's an absolute joke. We are only in college football. I heard (UTSA coach Jeff Traylor) the other day say that everybody was robbing their players and taking their players. This is not good for college football, as far as how it's done. I'm not saying being able to transfer is bad. I'm not saying paying players is bad. But the current status of the rules and the way it's done and how it's done? It's ridiculous. It's here. Everybody has the same issues and same problems."

Finebaum didn't buy what Fisher was trying to sell.

"That is the sound of a coach who got his brains beat in all year long on the field and, to a certain degree, in recruiting this year," Finebaum said Tuesday on McElroy and Cubelic In The Morning. "I didn't hear that Jimbo Fisher a year ago. What I heard was, 'Hey, I don't know how NIL works. I have no idea. We do it honestly.' He is a diminished figure."

Finebaum says Fisher's stance on NIL would be different had Texas A&M not struggled this season.

"This is a guy who was at the epicenter of the sport a year ago," Finebaum said. "He had the best recruiting class in college football history. He was knocking on the door of a serious run over the next two years. Last year it looked like they had a shot at the playoffs, and 2023 looked like a sure thing. Now he is coming from behind. He is sniveling, whining, and talking about the same thing that we have all been talking about for two years. It sounds really hollow."

Fisher's program was accused this past spring of using NIL to incentivize signings in the Aggies' record-setting 2022 singing class. Alabama head coach Nick Saban alleged in May that Texas A&M "bought" its 2022 class, a claim which Fisher did not take lightly. The Texas A&M coach fired back at Saban in a press conference that same week, claiming he was "done" with his former boss at LSU.

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Paul Finebaum rips Jimbo Fisher for NIL, portal complaints: 'He is a diminished figure'

Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher did not mince words Wednesday when asked about the impact of NIL compensation on the NCAA transfer portal, becoming the latest coach to allege widespread tampering in the form of schools incentivizing players to transfer for monetary gain. Like several others in the sport, SEC Network's Paul Finebaum was quick to call out the Aggies coach, claiming that Fisher is a "diminished figure" after Texas A&M finished 5-7 this season. The Aggies also lead the nation with 24 players in the transfer portal.

"The problem with (NIL), all of it, is that there is no consistency and rules," Fisher said."And then when you get into the (transfer portal), there is so much tampering going on. It is utterly ridiculous. It is a joke. It's an absolute joke. We are only in college football. I heard (UTSA coach Jeff Traylor) the other day say that everybody was robbing their players and taking their players. This is not good for college football, as far as how it's done. I'm not saying being able to transfer is bad. I'm not saying paying players is bad. But the current status of the rules and the way it's done and how it's done? It's ridiculous. It's here. Everybody has the same issues and same problems."

Finebaum didn't buy what Fisher was trying to sell.

"That is the sound of a coach who got his brains beat in all year long on the field and, to a certain degree, in recruiting this year," Finebaum said Tuesday on McElroy and Cubelic In The Morning. "I didn't hear that Jimbo Fisher a year ago. What I heard was, 'Hey, I don't know how NIL works. I have no idea. We do it honestly.' He is a diminished figure."

Finebaum says Fisher's stance on NIL would be different had Texas A&M not struggled this season.

"This is a guy who was at the epicenter of the sport a year ago," Finebaum said. "He had the best recruiting class in college football history. He was knocking on the door of a serious run over the next two years. Last year it looked like they had a shot at the playoffs, and 2023 looked like a sure thing. Now he is coming from behind. He is sniveling, whining, and talking about the same thing that we have all been talking about for two years. It sounds really hollow."

Fisher's program was accused this past spring of using NIL to incentivize signings in the Aggies' record-setting 2022 singing class. Alabama head coach Nick Saban alleged in May that Texas A&M "bought" its 2022 class, a claim which Fisher did not take lightly. The Texas A&M coach fired back at Saban in a press conference that same week, claiming he was "done" with his former boss at LSU.

I pretty much said the same thing a few posts up.  lol

This should be interesting.  I read an article about Petrino, he was  innovative at one time, but defenses face offenses similar to his all the time now.  But, will they run a Petrino offense or a Jimbo offense?  Petrino is in the twilight of his career, will he just acquiesce? 

• Like 1