No. 3 - Tommy Casanova

No. 4 - Johnny Robinson

No. 5 - Patrick Peterson

No. 6 - YA Tittle

No. 7 - Gaynell Tinsley

No. 8 - Glenn Dorsey

No. 9 - Bert Jones

No. 10 - Kevin Faulk

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/lists/lsu-football-history-top-101-players-of-all-time-top-10/

I always find these lists difficult b/c of having to compare players who played in different eras. Take Billing Cannon for instance, on the one hand you could argue that in today's game he would not flourish nearly as much as he did when he played. However, on the other hand this sort of ignores the fact that he played both ways at times and did not have all the benefit of the training etc. that today's athletes have.  What if LSU had the same strength and conditioning it does now back then?  He was certainly one of if not the best at what he did when he played.    Some pretty good offensive linemen not on that lest Faneca, Whitworth.   Michael Brooks? TM7? Charles Alexander "The Great" ? Who else?

12 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

No. 1 - Joe Burrow

No. 2 - Billy Cannon

No. 3 - Tommy Casanova

No. 4 - Johnny Robinson

No. 5 - Patrick Peterson

No. 6 - YA Tittle

No. 7 - Gaynell Tinsley

No. 8 - Glenn Dorsey

No. 9 - Bert Jones

No. 10 - Kevin Faulk

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/lists/lsu-football-history-top-101-players-of-all-time-top-10/

I always find these lists difficult b/c of having to compare players who played in different eras. Take Billing Cannon for instance, on the one hand you could argue that in today's game he would not flourish nearly as much as he did when he played. However, on the other hand this sort of ignores the fact that he played both ways at times and did not have all the benefit of the training etc. that today's athletes have.  What if LSU had the same strength and conditioning it does now back then?  He was certainly one of if not the best at what he did when he played.    Some pretty good offensive linemen not on that lest Faneca, Whitworth.   Michael Brooks? TM7? Charles Alexander "The Great" ? Who else?

Mathieu belongs somewhere in the top 10.
probably somewhere in the top 3.

Fournette and Stovall are also noticeable omissions.

• Like 1

I would drop Tinsley, Tittle, and Johnny Robinson.  We probably don't know what Tinsley and Tittle did at LSU.  IMO Stovall has to be on that list, he was all american and came in 2nd in the Heisman to Terry Baker of Oregon who never did anything after that.  Obviously Stovall should have won the Heisman.  I don't remember a better LB at LSU than Devin White, and Michael Brooks was a big difference maker.  Heck, I think about Jamar Chase, he was a heck of a deep ball threat even against the top competition (and he had a good QB throwing to him); helped win a natty.  I think you could make a case for Fournette, if he had a competent passing attack to take some pressure off of him, what he might have done if he didn't have to run against 8 in the box all the time.

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

I would drop Tinsley, Tittle, and Johnny Robinson.  We probably don't know what Tinsley and Tittle did at LSU.  IMO Stovall has to be on that list, he was all american and came in 2nd in the Heisman to Terry Baker of Oregon who never did anything after that.  Obviously Stovall should have won the Heisman.  I don't remember a better LB at LSU than Devin White, and Michael Brooks was a big difference maker.  Heck, I think about Jamar Chase, he was a heck of a deep ball threat even against the top competition (and he had a good QB throwing to him); helped win a natty.  I think you could make a case for Fournette, if he had a competent passing attack to take some pressure off of him, what he might have done if he didn't have to run against 8 in the box all the time.

hard for me to judge the ones before me. 

Tittle played in an era i can’t comprehend. 

but Fournette …

he played in a game where everyone else was versatile but us. and everybody knew he was getting the ball and still couldn’t stop him. 

and i know it’s blasphemy and @Fishhead will call me out for it, but dammit i’m putting Mathieu #1 instead of Burrow. 

Burrow was as great as anyone could ever imagine. 

But HoneyBadger changed the outcome of games from the freaking Nickel spot. 
Everyone expects a QB to decide football games. But a Nickel guy?!!? 

name any other Nickel in the history of football to change who wins/loses as often as Tyrann did. 

Brad Wing isn't on this list???  :LSU:

It's honestly impossible to pick only ten and to  rank objectively for LSU fans. As an example, how do you remove professional success (or lack thereof) from the evaluation criteria of judging a player solely on their LSU career (or do you?).

The same goes for media spotlight. In my mind it is hard to separate players like Kevin Faulk and Dalton Hilliard. They were separated by 13 years of time, very different offensive schemes, different coaches, and very different media landscapes.

Sure, Faulk got about 500 more yards over his LSU career but was that because he was a better athlete and football player? Hilliard played when you either had to be in attendance at the game or you heard it on the radio. Faulk played in the era when ESPN was taking off (and let's not forget 'Tigervision') and his prowess on the field was much more in people's consciousness than Hilliard ever could be.

Hilliard played under Jerry Stovall and Arnsparger whereas Faulk played under DiNardo. Those were very different offensive schemes and eras of very different offensive trends.

That is just a single example of "ranking" challenges.

What would be fun is to watch LSU fans contort if they had to rank top 10 coaching eras for LSU...many would do anything to avoid admitting Les Miles' place at the top of LSU football coaches. :rofl:

10 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

name any other Nickel in the history of football to change who wins/loses as often as Tyrann did. 

And people in the national sports media still can't pronounce his first name properly.  Wish he could have played his junior year.  Still one of the best though.