Gameday Tigers

1992-2023 RIP SEC West

Hatchertiger

Picking the 3 permanent opponents will be interesting.  Hopefully nobody gets 2 or 3 really tough games.  If they do, the league could be scheduling them out of winning the SEC.  For LSU, if we got aTm, Moo U and Arky, that would be like getting a pass.  No gumps, no Fla every year.  This will be very interesting.  Auburn v. Alabama has to stay, as does Fla v Ga.  LSU v OM probably stays.  Tx v Okla needs to stay.  I wonder if Tx v aTm comes back?  aTm would hate that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes I heard some talking heads saying the 3 permanents will be Gumps, OM and ATM. I haven’t really studied what makes sense

i'd bet the farm we don't get Alabama.

they're absolutely going to have Auburn and Tennessee.
no way they give them LSU as their 3rd.

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

Picking the 3 permanent opponents will be interesting.  Hopefully nobody gets 2 or 3 really tough games.  If they do, the league could be scheduling them out of winning the SEC. 

top half of the league should all get at least 2 tough ones.
that's the games the fans want to see.  Nobody give a shyte about watching UGA vs Vandy.

For LSU, if we got aTm, Moo U and Arky, that would be like getting a pass. 

you know we've lost to 2 of those teams very recently, right?

No gumps, no Fla every year.  This will be very interesting.  Auburn v. Alabama has to stay, as does Fla v Ga.  LSU v OM probably stays.  Tx v Okla needs to stay.  I wonder if Tx v aTm comes back?  aTm would hate that.

later today I'll try to give my best guess as to who the 3 permanents for everyone would be.

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I wonder if it would work to have no permanent ones.  Of course that would mean no Iron bowl, Egg bowl, etc. every year.  I hope we aren't saddled with all the cupcakes like Nootch said.

Alabama and Auburn would both give up the Iron bowl to save Ala/Tenn and Aub/UGA.

• Like 2

ok. here is my best guesses as to what this will look like.  Putting this on record to see how close I get when they finally vote and release this.
I'm confident that the SEC will go to a 3-6 model for scheduling as mentioned above.

so i tried my best to pair up each team with 3 permanent opponents.
some teams have 2 slam dunk guaranteed games they're keeping.
some only have 1.

there is no "fair" way to do this.  there just isn't, so be prepared for people to complain that somebody has it "easy".
i tried to use tradition as the first criteria.  some rivalries just HAVE TO continue.  period. the schools will not vote to allow them to go away.  so those stayed.
for the games that didn't jump at you as being must have rivalries, i used geography to fill in some blanks.
then used process of elimination to fill in the remainder of the schedule.

so here are what I assume will be the 3 permanents for each school (you're not going to love LSU's):
again, this is a prediction, not my preference.

Former SEC West
Arkansas - Texas, Missouri, A&M
A&M - Arkansas, Texas, LSU
Alabama - Tennessee, Auburn, Miss St.
Auburn - Georgia, Alabama, Ole MIss
LSU - A&M, Florida, Oklahoma
Miss St - Ole Miss, Kentucky, Alabama
Ole Miss - Miss State, Vandy, Auburn

Former SEC East
Tennessee - Alabama, Florida, Georgia
Georgia - Auburn, Florida, Tennessee
Missouri - Arkansas, South Carolina, Oklahoma
Kentucky - Vandy, Miss State, South Carolina
Vanderbilt - Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina
So. Carolina - Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy
Florida - Georgia, Tennessee, LSU

New Guys
Texas - Oklahoma, Arkansas, A&M
Oklahoma - Texas, Missouri, LSU

what do y'all think?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

ok. here is my best guesses as to what this will look like.  Putting this on record to see how close I get when they finally vote and release this.
I'm confident that the SEC will go to a 3-6 model for scheduling as mentioned above.

some only have 1.

there is no "fair" way to do this.  there just isn't, so be prepared for people to complain that somebody has it "easy".
i tried to use tradition as the first criteria.  some rivalries just HAVE TO continue.  period. the schools will not vote to allow them to go away.  so those stayed.
for the games that didn't jump at you as being must have rivalries, i used geography to fill in some blanks.

so here are what I assume will be the 3 permanents for each school (you're not going to love LSU's):

Former SEC West

Former SEC East

New Guys

what do y'all think?

I mean I read your methodology, but not sure I get lsu vs fu as a permanent with your logic. Or lsu vs ou for that matter. 

14 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

some only have 1.

Former SEC West

Former SEC East

New Guys

what do y'all think?

This is the SEC, where common sense is not that common anymore! They will screw it up one way or another. 

• Like 1

so you build the rest of the schedule around that.
1st you fill in logical opponents and newer "rivalries" that don't necessarily move the needle on the big stage, but still matter to the participants.
or even a competitive balance scheduling move (keeping Ole Miss/Vandy & Miss St. Kentucky)

these two are the areas LSU kinda gets shafted.
we don't really have that ONE guaranteed lock. and we have so many that fall into the next category, that we will all but surely be forced to sit back and wait for rest of the schedule to shake out before filling our slots.

Next to Lock.jpg

Arky has developed healthy rivalries with Mizzou and the Southwest Classic vs A&M.
Us vs A&M is one we're stuck with until the end of time.
Mizzou & So. Carolina have that weird "Columbia" rivalry thing.
Kentucky/Vandy/So Carolina get to keep their round robin for bottom half of the league/division.

• Like 1

starting to get a little more difficult now but still need to fill in some more.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee all need an extra opponent.
LSU, Texas, and OU all need 2 more.

so let's start plugging some in.

OU and Mizzou were conference foes from 1928-2011 and have played each other almost 100 times.
Texas and Arkansas was once a heated rivalry that both school would be eager to rekindle.
and I really don't see how the SEC and ESPN can possibly pass up the sheer animosity that will be the Texas v Texas A&M games (for the first few years at least) 

Filler.jpg

Arkansas, A&M, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, and Carolina are all full now.

and here is what we have left and how i filled things.

LSU still has 2 slots to fill, and 4 or 5 schools that we'd love to squeeze into those 2.

Miss St., Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and OU all have 1 left.

let's not kid ourselves, Alabama is getting first choice.
Miss. St. is the shortest road trip and most guaranteed win left on the board.
that fills in both of those schedules and takes them off our prospective board.
Tennessee and Georgia is still available, and makes too much sense not to keep that going. that keeps the Florida/Georgia/Tennessee round robin alive.

that takes those two teams off the board.

now the SEC and ESPN have a decision to make:
LSU v Florida
LSU v Auburn
LSU v Ole Miss

12 years ago, they take Auburn here.
now? Florida. no contest.

almost done.jpg

that leaves 2 games left to fill 

and here are your choices

LSU v Auburn
LSU v Ole Miss
Oklahoma v. Auburn
Oklahoma v. Ole Miss
Auburn v. Ole Miss

and this where depending on your point of view we kinda get shafted, but kinda don't.

I would love to keep Auburn on the schedule. Lots of other LSU fans would love to keep Ole Miss.

ESPN and SEC are looking at the low hanging fruit of an annual game between LSU and OU on the table.

OU vs either of those other 2 doesn't look quite as appealing.
but Auburn and Ole Miss do have a little history (Tuberville and now Freeze).

so i think they're giving us OU so the new guy has a premier game vs an original member. and Auburn v Ole Miss happens by default for being last one left on table.

Done.jpg

• Like 1

But your initial post your criteria was absolute guaranteed rivalry, then geography. 

OU and FU meet neither criteria. 

I totally get TAMU.

These are the same idiots that invented the Boot and the Magnolia trophies. Both Arkansas and Ole Miss could be viewed, again, by these same idiots, as rivalry AND geographic fits. 

Assuming there's any logic whatsoever to their decisions, which is a dumb assumption lol. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

But your initial post your criteria was absolute guaranteed rivalry, then geography. 

OU and FU meet neither criteria. 

they fall into the "process of elimination" category i listed.
I'm not very confident that our "rivalries" will be given nearly as much weight as others' will.

we'll be cast aside and get the left overs.

43 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I totally get TAMU.

These are the same idiots that invented the Boot and the Magnolia trophies. Both Arkansas and Ole Miss could be viewed, again, by these same idiots, as rivalry AND geographic fits. 

Assuming there's any logic whatsoever to their decisions, which is a dumb assumption lol. 

oh I agree.

pretty much anything outside of the first chart i posted is a crap shoot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dachsie said:

When do y'all suppose we will find out?  They need to start planning for next year pretty soon i would think.  People schedule their lives around these football games

spring meetings in Destin we'll find out for sure if we going 1-7 (extreme outside shot at 1-8) or 3-6.

sometime before the season starts, I'm thinking July when nothing else is happening on the calendar, we'll get a "leak" telling us permanents.

• Like 1

I agree with @LSUDad , the problem with your post @Nutriaitchis it contains a considerable amount of logic, too much actually.  There is simply no way we avoid the gumps. No way! I'm not sure what the other two of our "permanent" opponents look like but one of them will be the red menace. You can take that to the bank. 

Now the gumps, their other two will probably be mizzou and some team that isn't even in the SEC but because they are close by they will get some sort of exemption. Maybe Miss Valley State or something like that. This is going to be a sh*t show of epic proportions. 

30 minutes ago, Big T said:

I agree with @LSUDad , the problem with your post @Nutriaitchis it contains a considerable amount of logic, too much actually.  There is simply no way we avoid the gumps. No way! I'm not sure what the other two of our "permanent" opponents look like but one of them will be the red menace. You can take that to the bank. 

Now the gumps, their other two will probably be mizzou and some team that isn't even in the SEC but because they are close by they will get some sort of exemption. Maybe Miss Valley State or something like that. This is going to be a sh*t show of epic proportions. 

Mississippi Valley State put out a pretty decent receiver back in the day

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big T said:

Alabama will get what Alabama wants.
If Alabama doesn't want us, they not getting us.

and THAT you can take to the bank.

8 hours ago, Big T said:

Alabama is going to demand playing Tennessee.
the entire current scheduling format in the SEC is structured around the sacred cow that is Alabama vs. Tennessee, and has been since day 1 of division play back in '92.
that game more than any other is an absolute guarantee.

• Like 1