Gameday Tigers

1992-2023 RIP SEC West

Hatchertiger

Apparently LSU/Gumps is going to be permanent. I figured it would be even though @Nutriaitch guaranteed us there was no way it would happen. 

Word is the leader of the red menace isn't happy so I guess it could change still.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

He's skeeeeered!!!

He has to be. I don't think he has more than a couple years left in him. He wants one more NC and then he will retire. He has to see us as an obstacle and he should.  

To be honest, I'd be okay with not playing them but to see him femaledog about it makes me chuckle (not really cause I don't "chuckle") but you get the point.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:37 AM, Big T said:

Apparently LSU/Gumps is going to be permanent. I figured it would be even though @Nutriaitch guaranteed us there was no way it would happen. 

Word is the leader of the red menace isn't happy so I guess it could change still.

I don't understand his whining. They've played those 3 teams annually since 1964. They've done ok

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi, guys! Shane mentioned this forum, so I wanted to check it out.

Regarding the topic at hand...I am fine with Alabama and A & M as our permanent opponents, but I am a bit sad about losing Florida. 

While (most years) Ole Miss is less of a challenge and might lead to an easier win, I love the Florida game every year.

On a similar note, it will feel really odd not playing Auburn every year, too.

6 hours ago, StaceyO said:

Hi, guys! Shane mentioned this forum, so I wanted to check it out.Regarding the top

Hello Stacey!  You're a blast from the past.  It's good to hear from you, come back and visit often!

I will not miss Fla., although they usually provided an early season test to see what kind of team we really had, the first tough game.

I will miss the Auburn game.  From 2000 to 2010, the winner of that game usually won the west, and we had some doozies!  Close hard fought, won in the trenches, SEC football at its best.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StaceyO said:

Regarding the topic at hand...I am fine with Alabama and A & M as our permanent opponents, but I am a bit sad about losing Florida. 

While (most years) Ole Miss is less of a challenge and might lead to an easier win, I love the Florida game every year.

Welcome, Stacey!  I always cherish your input!

I'd prefer that the SEC drops the 'forced rivalry' between LSU and Texas A&M and would much prefer Florida, Ole Miss, and Bama as our permanent rivalries.

I was talking to an Arkansas fan at my local watering hole recently and he had a very interesting and novel solution: instead of having an SEC East and SEC West, simply re-align to have an SEC North and SEC South.

SEC South: Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Florida
SEC North: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina

Instead of permanent rivalries, each team would play 4 teams in their division one year and play the other 4 the following year. The rest of the schedule would be 3 non-conference games and 3 teams from the other division.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Hello Stacey!  You're a blast from the past.  It's good to hear from you, come back and visit often!

I will not miss Fla., although they usually provided an early season test to see what kind of team we really had, the first tough game.

I will miss the Auburn game.  From 2000 to 2010, the winner of that game usually won the west, and we had some doozies!  Close hard fought, won in the trenches, SEC football at its best.

The Florida game just feels like it should be part of the line-up. 

Actually, I feel like it should be Alabama, Auburn, and Florida...but then again, I was not around when LSU/Ole Miss was "the" rivalry for us. That was before my time.

For that matter, my younger daughter was accepted to Ole Miss (don't laugh...she saw Jaxon Dart on TV and said, "He's hot. I could pull him..." And she applied that day.) Alas, she ultimately decided to go to Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida, next year (my older daughter will be in Orlando for the Disney College Program after she graduates from North Texas in May.)

Hence, I will be in Florida a LOT for at least the next 4 years.

4 minutes ago, Herb said:

I'd prefer that the SEC drops the 'forced rivalry' between LSU and Texas A&M and would much prefer Florida, Ole Miss, and Gumps as our permanent rivalries.

I was talking to an Arkansas fan at my local watering hole recently and he had a very interesting and novel solution: instead of having an SEC East and SEC West, simply re-align to have an SEC North and SEC South.

SEC South: Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Florida
SEC North: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina

Instead of permanent rivalries, each team would play 4 teams in their division one year and play the other 4 the following year. The rest of the schedule would be 3 non-conference games and 3 teams from the other division.

That North/South idea is intriguing. I wonder how set in stone this new arrangement will be?

I think the SEC is just setting the stage to the "super conferences" that will be the contenders for championships going forward. 

I mean, honestly, that's the way it already is...unofficially.  And to that point, the national championship has long gone through the SEC. 

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I'd prefer that the SEC drops the 'forced rivalry' between LSU and Texas A&M and would much prefer Florida, Ole Miss, and Gumps as our permanent rivalries.

Problem with that is that most of the more difficult teams are in the South division, kinda like the West I guess

44 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Problem with that is that most of the more difficult teams are in the South division, kinda like the West I guess

Well Oklahoma, Tennessee, and UGA have been historically solid teams. Kentucky has been above average for a while now and Arky can easily become a pretty solid team.

The other thing is that all of the proposed SEC North teams would play 3 of the "SEC South" teams every single year so there would be some reasonable parity in strength of schedule for everyone (including the 'SEC South' teams, who would get a potentially "less strong" SEC team or two every year).

8 hours ago, Herb said:

only problem is none of these schools will vote to put themselves in the “North” :rofl:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, StaceyO said:

great to see you, stranger. 

hope you become a regular here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:37 AM, Big T said:

he’s already publicly complaining before they even official vote on the 6-3 format. 

this ain’t written in stone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, StaceyO said:

Oh wow! How'd I miss this?? Hey Stacey!

And who's Shane?? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1