Gameday Tigers

Pitching Depth & General Discussion (2023)

Nutriaitch

OK, so we're 1/3 of the way through the SEC slate.  Sure It's also the toughest stretch of SEC play for us, but still.

we have an elephant in the room we need to address.

We have only 1 arm averaging over 5 innings per appearance. 
And that's Paul Skenes who is averaging 6-1/3.  He's a strikeout guy, so is pitch count is typically high early.
 But for our Ace to be under 7 innings per start isn't exactly where I think we'd want to be.

Our Saturday (Floyd) is just over 4-1/3 per appearance.

If you're doing the math in your head, that 8 freaking innings we need to get from our bullpen on average Fri-Sat.

then we get to Sunday and Thatcher Hurd.
to hell with averaging 5+.  He's thrown a TOTAL of 5-1/2 in 3 starts against SEC teams.

that puts us needing 16+ innings from the pen on a typical weekend.
Edwards can get you 3-4 in a weekend
Herring can probably get you 2, maybe 3 in a weekend.
Shores another 3.

I don't think that's going to cut it.

First time I'll say this, but JJ pissed me off tonight. 

I have a connection to Micah Bucknam so I'm certainly not trashing him, but wth was the thought process bringing him in down only 2 to a top ten team on the road?

And just leaving him in there to die?

Big Ts fave would've been my choice and he would've gone the whole rest of the game for you.  Stapleton.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

First time I'll say this, but JJ pissed me off tonight. 

I have a connection to Micah Bucknam so I'm certainly not trashing him, but wth was the thought process bringing him in down only 2 to a top ten team on the road?

And just leaving him in there to die?

Big Ts fave would've been my choice and he would've gone the whole rest of the game for you.  Stapleton.

yeah, I can't think of any good reason not to use Stapleton right out of the delay.

and instead of leaving Hellmers to just rot out there, THAT'S when you leave use Money.

• Like 1

• Nutriaitch changed the title to Pitching Depth

so the deeper we go, the more of an issue this is becoming now.

Skenes is now a tick below 6 innings per appearance.  yes this is somewhat misleading due to the rainout shortening his last appearance. But he was that close to the 6 inning average that one rain shortened game dropped him below it.

Floyd is still sitting at 4-1/3.  That number needs to go up. He probably needs to add close to 2 innings to that number the rest of the way IMO.

Who is the 3rd starter? 

giphy.gif

We have 4 other arms averaging 2+ Innings per appearance (and nobody else averaging 3+). And that list of 4 is getting uglier by the day.

Shores (averaging 2-2/3) - out until further notice.  rumored to be season ending UCL.
Edwards (averaging 2-1/3) - out until further notice. last seen clutching his elbow walking off the field. possibly season ending UCL.
Hurd (averaging 2-2/3 and dropping) - has seemingly lost all command. his ERA over his last 4 appearance: 24.75 
Stapleton (averaging exactly 2 innings) - prototypical middle innings guy. need more of him.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I had hope for Little but time is getting very short to show something. 

I think we've seen enough of him to know that he probably isn't changing this year

Coleman will make an appearance at some point this season, but bouncing back from Tommy John is always a crap shoot, so no telling what we get from him.

• Like 1

Skenes and Floyd right now are combining to average 10 innings per weekend.

So we basically need 2 full games from the bullpen, and the best 2 (3?) bullpen arms are not available until.......

No Shores, no Edwards, don't know when Ack will be back.
Stapleton can get you 2 for sure (I think he can get his average up to 3 maybe even 4).

But still, that leaves you at only 12-14, let's split it and call it 13.
Gavin Guidry gives you 2, tops.
you now need 11 innings from guys named:
Little
Money
Helmers
Dutton
Hurd
Collins

All of whom currently posses ERA's above 6.00

On 4/15/2023 at 7:58 AM, Nutriaitch said:

did anyone else see who was warming up late last night?

Javen freaking Coleman! 

can't wait to see how he bounces back.  god I hope he still has all that wicked movement.

I'm going to be honest here. 

The fact you're so hyped about this says it all about our current status as a pitching staff. 

I'm happy to see him obviously healing and rehabbing well enough to be able to pitch, but not looking for much from him. 

He struggled with control just like these guys we are complaining about now. What are we expecting? It is good to have another lefty option but I'm gonna reserve my excitement except I'm glad he's OK and can pitch again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I'm going to be honest here. 

The fact you're so hyped about this says it all about our current status as a pitching staff. 

I'm happy to see him obviously healing and rehabbing well enough to be able to pitch, but not looking for much from him. 

He struggled with control just like these guys we are complaining about now. What are we expecting? It is good to have another lefty option but I'm gonna reserve my excitement except I'm glad he's OK and can pitch again. 

i agree with you completely. 

So Coleman went 1 full.  16 pitches (9 for strikes)
Wasn't always beautiful, but was definitely a positive outing.

Fastball stayed elevated, but that's fixable.  Good thing is the slider had some bite to it and stayed down in the zone.
That doesn't always come back right away after TJ, so it being there already is a very pleasant surprise.

Question will be how do we use him from here? Does he get another inning of work over the weekend? How long before we can reasonably expect a longer outing?

Unfortunately, Money is apparently still Money and this past weekend was an accident.
Hurd is a complete head case now. I don't know what to do to fix him, but he's gone so far backwards from his early season outings, that I'm wondering if his gear shift is stuck in Reverse now.

Stapleton and Yellowstone look like they are just going to be inning eaters for us (they combined for over 90 pitches last night). Don't let the runs from last night fool you if you didn't watch the game.
Stapleton pitched well enough to have only given up 1 run, outfielders completely losing sight of back to back routine fly balls cost him the extra runs that never should have scored.