Gameday Tigers

Pitching Depth & General Discussion (2023)

Nutriaitch

7 minutes ago, Big T said:

Not right down the middle, there is a reason there is a black edge around the plate!

It's college, dude lol. 

There's 2 dudes on the active roster with "good stuff".  1 is Skenes. The other is the dude you wish we'd left in the portal lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

you also once said you want guys to grove fastballs 0-2.

but you don't particularly cared for the result when Hurd did what you wanted him to do.

That is NOT what I said at all!

If you watched my dude tonight he put on a clinic. First time for me to see him pitch and I could not be happier. Changed speeds, worked in, worked out and elevated when needed. None of this throwing one 58' feet that runs off at a 60⁰ angle to the backstop. 

That my boy was what pitching looks like!

40 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

so you missed the game against Miss St. when got lit up like a 4th of July Fireworks show.

had you watched that night, you'd have said you would have left him at Barbe HS.

Yes, I missed that night, obviously since I said this was the first time I got to see him pitch!

3 hours ago, Big T said:

That is NOT what I said at all!

If you watched my dude tonight he put on a clinic. First time for me to see him pitch and I could not be happier. Changed speeds, worked in, worked out and elevated when needed. None of this throwing one 58' feet that runs off at a 60⁰ angle to the backstop. 

That my boy was what pitching looks like!

He'll start Friday nights next season

At SS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Guidry and Herring both have pretty good stuff

Guidry is a SS and neither of those guys have the live arms of Skenes and Hurd. 

Problem with Guidry being a pitcher long term is he'd have to develop another pitch. He's more a one time through the lineup guy and the move to SS ain't gonna let him develop said 3rd pitch. He's badass though with that breaking ball!

Herring's biggest plus is he's a lefty. So far....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Guidry is a SS and neither of those guys have the live arms of Skenes and Hurd. 

depending on what we find in the portal, we may use Nippolt at Short and keep Guidry on the mound

Skenes and Floyd are both gone after this season
I don't expect neither Edwards nor Shores to throw a pitch next season

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Problem with Guidry being a pitcher long term is he'd have to develop another pitch. He's more a one time through the lineup guy

Like Floyd was a Freshman?

15 hours ago, Fishhead said:

It's college, dude lol. 

There's 2 dudes on the active roster with "good stuff".  1 is Skenes. The other is the dude you wish we'd left in the portal lol

12 hours ago, Big T said:

I said what I said!

you do know there is a reason that the number of college pitchers who ever step foot on a Major League field is extremely small, right? I mean for even just a cup of coffee before being cut and careers over.  Let alone having even a slight sniff of success at the big league level.

But you are holding our guys to Greg Maddux like standards. And that just isn't realistic at all.

Paul Skenes is a ridiculously rare talent.

the rest take advantage of the raised seams on a college ball and throw shyte that moves to get them through the college careers. 

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

depending on what we find in the portal, we may use Nippolt at Short and keep Guidry on the mound

Skenes and Floyd are both gone after this season
I don't expect neither Edwards nor Shores to throw a pitch next season

Like Floyd was a Freshman?

JJ ain't using Nippolt full time unless he miraculously learns to hit

14 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Frustrating because Arkansas lost. Our guys didn't seem to want a championship yet. 

I feel like JJ was giving Little one last chance to show something. He didn't and we lost an sec championship. 

Oh well, on to the SECT

at the risk of sounding like @Big T, I'm at the point where I really don't ever need to see Little thrown another pitch for us.

how are you going to wear Jersey # 99 and still have an ERA even remotely close to it?!!?

seriously, against our last  SEC opponents he's sting at 90.09 ERA.
that's average of 10 runs per inning pitched.

4 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

at the risk of sounding like @Big T, I'm at the point where I really don't ever need to see Little thrown another pitch for us.

how are you going to wear Jersey # 99 and still have an ERA even remotely close to it?!!?

seriously, against our last  SEC opponents he's sting at 90.09 ERA.
that's average of 10 runs per inning pitched.

and just for transparency purposes, Thatcher Hurd is sitting at 8.60 over the same time period.
take out the one bad inning (technically not even an inning since he got 0 outs) against Miss State and his ERA is a really god damn good 2.35 against our last 4 SEC opponents.

• Like 2