Gameday Tigers

The Girls Diamond, A Name You Know

LSUDad

Jeff Wickersham’s Daughter Shelby. 

LSU freshman Shelby Wickersham tosses no-hitter; Shelbi Sunseri hits three home runs in Tiger Classic sweep

• BY KENNEDI LANDRY Special to The Advocate
  • FEB 8, 2019 - 6:08 PM

Wickersham

LSU pitcher Shelby Wickersham pitched a no-hitter against Iowa in a 9-0 win Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, at Tiger Park in Baton Rouge.

PHOTO BY MG Miller, LSU Athletics 

Freshman pitcher Shelby Wickersham didn’t waste any time etching her name in the LSU record book.

In her first career start, Wickersham pitched a five-inning no-hitter as the Tigers blanked Iowa 9-0 on Day 2 of the Tiger Classic. The freshman finished with two walks and two strikeouts. It was the sixth no-hitter by a freshman in program history.

“It’s really an honor and a privilege,” Wickersham said. “It feels really nice to go out, knowing my teammates had my back, making the plays in the field and getting those runs up for us. I just wanted to go out there and play my hardest.”

LSU (3-0) stayed perfect in the second game with an 11-0 walloping of Tulsa behind Shelbi Sunseri’s two-hitter and two home runs.

“It feels pretty great,” Sunseri said. “I think we’ve all worked for this moment. It really cool to see that my hard work pays off, but everybody contributed today. “I think its really cool to see us all out here having fun and success.”

Wickersham was hot from the beginning as she pitched a three-up, three-down first inning with two strikeouts on just nine pitches.

The former Mount Carmel standout got all the help she needed from the Tigers offense.

LSU got the lead batter on base in all but one inning.

Aliyah Andrews led off the game with a bunt single and stole second and third. An infield single from Amanda Doyle gave LSU a 1-0 lead.

Shemiah Sanchez hit a leadoff single to start the LSU second and advanced on a wild pitch. A walk and fielder’s choice loaded the bases before a walk gave LSU a 2-0 lead.

Andrews then slapped one in the shortstop-third base hole to score another before Taryn Antoine cleared the bases with a stand-up triple to extend LSU’s lead to 5-0.

After adding another un in the fourth, LSU ended it in the fifth.

Michael Schlattman singled and Amber Serrett followed with a four-pitch walk. Sunseri ended the game with a three-run home run to implement the mercy rule.

LSU 11, TULSA 0: In LSU’s second game of the day, Sunseri pitched a two-hitter and hit two home runs as the Tigers blasted the Golden Hurricane for the second straight day.

LSU beat Tulsa 19-1 on Friday in its season opener.

Sunseri had six strikeouts, four swinging.

“She’s that talented of a player that she can hit and pitch in the SEC and do it at such a high level,” LSU coach Beth Torina said. “She’s a really special player and were lucky to have her.”

LSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead on Amanda Sanchez’ two-run double in the first inning.

The Tigers added to the lead when Sanchez doubled to lead off the third and Sunseri drilled her second homer of the day to give LSU a 5-0 lead.

LSU exploded for six runs on six hits in the bottom of the fourth, including Sunseri’s second home run of the game and third of the day.

LSU continues tournament play Saturday against Iowa at 3:30 p.m. and Bucknell at 6 p.m.

Archived