Gameday Tigers

Nussmeier Will Stay At LSU

LSUDad

LSU is keeping its quarterback room intact heading into the fall.

According to a report from On3’s Shea Dixon, Tigers backup quarterback Garrett Nussmeier has elected not to enter the transfer portal and will remain in Baton Rouge for the 2023 season. Nussmeier played in seven games last fall, completing 52 of 84 passes for 800 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions.

Nussmeier had particularly noteworthy performances replacing an injured Jayden Daniels against Georgia in the SEC Championship and in the Citrus Bowl against Purdue. This prompted discussion regarding whether he would choose to enter the portal.

LSU expected Nussmeier to return, but following spring practice, there was a lot of anticipation regarding a potential transfer portal decision. Now, that decision is made, and the Tigers will officially have Nussmeier around for the long haul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

According to a report from On3’s Shea Dixon, Tigers backup quarterback Garrett Nussmeier has elected not to enter the transfer portal and will remain in Baton Rouge for the 2023 season.

A wise decision IMO.  Nuss redshirted his first year, so last year he was a redshirt freshman.  This coming year he will be a redshirt soph. and not play much unless JD gets injured.  Then Jayden leaves and the job is for Nuss for 2 years (probably).  The thing that could upset that would be if Denbrock feels the QB has to run the ball and Ricky Collins beats out Nuss.  But Nuss could make that call after spring practice next year.  The opportunity to start for LSU for two years is a pretty attractive prize to stay for.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Big T said:

I'm not cashing that check until the portal is closed

The portal is closed. 

He was never leaving, as I mentioned in multiple podcasts last season and on here somewhere. Never even considered it. It's why Jamie Jr left to ride the pine at Ole Piss

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

The portal is closed. 

The portal is closed for players to put their names into.

I believe schools can still sign players that have entered their names (for like the next 45 days I think).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

The portal is closed for players to put their names into.

I believe schools can still sign players that have entered their names (for like the next 45 days I think).

Yes, and his name isn't in it. That's the only reason this is "news".

He was never entering the portal

• Like 1