Gameday Tigers

2023 LSU Football, Early Look

LSUDad

LSU returns several key players entering 2023. It has led to the Tigers generating plenty of offseason hype in rankings.

The hype continued this week with On3 ranking LSU’s offensive line the fourth best in college football.

Jesse Simonton of On3 writes the group “was viewed as a weakness before the 2022 season, but after a strong showing from a pair of now sophomore tackles in Will Campbelland Emery Jones, the group projects as a team strength in 2023.”

As Simonton notes, the return of Campbell and Jones is what has a lot of people excited about this team as a whole. Having both tackle spots pinned down for at least two more years gives LSU a strong foundation.

It’s continuity that hasn’t been seen at LSU in some time. For years now, LSU has looked for an elite tackle. The Tigers have had some good ones in the last 10 years, but the last time LSU had a superstar there was La'el Collins in 2014.

According to PFF, LSU’s OL ranked 25th in pass-blocking efficiency last year among Power Five schools. That’s not elite, but considering the youth LSU was working with, it’s promising.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, LSUDad said:

With the OL, bookend tackles. Starting true Freshmen, the best thing about Freshmen, is when they become Sophomores! 

Josh Pate seems to consistently make sense, to me.  He seems pretty fair and balanced, plus bright in the sports world.

• Like 3

Just thinking about the offense, we have to be better than last year.  We've got most starters back on the o-line, and rumor has it we will have better depth also.  At receiver, we lost Jaray Jenkins and Boutte.  Jenkins was good but not great receiver and Boutte had an off year.  Brian Thomas came in with credentials, Chris Hilton is a sprint champ from high school, and Kyren Lacy showed he can catch.  We have the Gumps transfer and some heralded freshmen coming in, I don't see how that unit is not better than last season.  Tight end, Mason Taylor returns and it appears they upgraded the position with freshmen coming in and a transfer.  Running back, we get Williams back and Goodwin, Emery may get his grades right, and two freshmen coming in, I  think that will be a better overall group.  Then you look at QB.  Daniels has to improve his vision of the field and his timing to throw a deep ball.  He needs to improve his ability to read the defense.  I am sure he wants to go pro so he has been told what he needs to improve, so he's got plenty of incentive.  He sounds to me like he's smart enough to see his opportunity, and this is his money year, improve his draft position and cash in next year on his lifetime of work he's put in.  Nuss will improve from an extra year of experience, and his work in the SECCG should give him confidence.  I see us better at every position.  Another year in the coaches system, the players should be more comfortable.  Another year in the strength and conditioning program and the nutrition program.

I just see this offense as improved, not exceptionally better, but noticably better, like 25%.

Whachathink?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

.  Running back, we get Williams back and Goodwin, Emery may get his grades right, and two freshmen coming in, I  think that will be a better overall group.  

Williams and Goodwin are both coming off of knee surgery and no idea if Emery is and will remain eligible.  Makes Logan Diggs' commitment today huge!

• Like 4

Maybe I had a glass of wine too many, but with one year under his belt, BK understands what LSU is about, what he has on this team, where he wants to go.  This is the best 18 minute interview of an LSU head football coach that I have ever heard.  Saban was good, but he didn't open up like BK does.  7 hours old, get it while its hot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, houtiger said:

Maybe I had a glass of wine too many, but with one year under his belt, BK understands what LSU is about, what he has on this team, where he wants to go.  This is the best 18 minute interview of an LSU head football coach that I have ever heard.  Saban was good, but he didn't open up like BK does.  7 hours old, get it while its hot!

This was really good.

• Like 1

Count Greg McElroy as a big time believer in LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels.

That may hurt some Alabama fans to read, but the former Menstrual Wave signal caller is taking a bold stand regarding Daniels. According to McElroy, Daniels is the best returning quarterback in all of the SEC, which should be music to Tigers fans’ ears.

“The best quarterback returning in the SEC to me, is Jayden Daniels at LSU,” stated McElroy. “Now you look at what he did last year, can you tell me a player — maybe in the SEC, maybe in all of college football, maybe you want to take it in the Power Five, however you want to explain it. Tell me a player that looked more comfortable in their final game of the season than their first game of the season than Jayden Daniels.
“Think about the progression that was made when he played against Florida State, to when we saw him in the bowl game, where he was completely lights out. Now, you can take into account the final two games of the quote regular season. Look at how he played against [Texas] A&M, you look at how he played in the SEC Championship Game in the first half. Second half was great, but either way, this is a player that got more and more comfortable as the season went along.”

McElroy makes a good point, as Daniels certainly grew into the starting role at LSU throughout the 2022 season. Continuing, the former Alabama quarterback believes that the Tigers’ strong supporting cast will aid Daniels in his ascent to the top of the SEC.

“You think about too, what he accomplished previously at Arizona State, this is a guy that has 9,000 yards career throwing the football. He also could be a guy this year that might have 1,000 on the ground, might have 3,000 through the air and returns an excellent supporting cast,” added McElroy. “Offensive line should be if not the best in the SEC, but arguably the best. Wide receivers, if not the best in the SEC, arguably the best. You look across the board man, he’s got everything that you could want, especially now with another year in the system. 

“Mike Denbrock, the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. Brian Kelly, who’s very hands-on with how they go about tutoring that position. You’ve seen signs of growth throughout the season last year. You only can assume that that growth is going to increase exponentially now that he’s had an entire offseason as the No. 1 guy. Jayden Daniels is my No. 1 guy coming into the fall for the 2023 SEC quarterbacks.”
It remains to be seen if Jayden Daniels can make good on the hype behind his name for 2023, but it’s easy to see why many are becoming big time believers in his game.

• Like 2