Gameday Tigers

2023 LSU Football, Early Look

LSUDad

I hope McElroy is right.  Daniels clearly made progress up to the Gumps game.  After that it appeared to me he regressed a bit.  I don't count the bowl game, that was a depleted team that we played against.

The question is, how much did he learn in the spring, and on his own since the spring.  The other positive, I think this receiver corp will be better than last year.  Boutte failed to live up to expectations, don't know if his injury bothered him or his mind, taken in the sixth round.  Jaray Jenkins signed a free agent deal.  I think the guys stepping up and coming in have more talent.  Daniels will have a lot more time to work with his receivers this summer, and the offensive scheme will be familiar to some of them except freshmen and transfers.

I don't see how this passing game is not better than last year.  These kids have the same coaches for the second year in a row, and the situation at LSU is more routine than last year where nobody knew what they had and everything was new.

I'm excited going into the season.

• Like 1

LSU’s OL was Young Last Season. Could This Group be one of the Best in 2023?

JUNE 20, 2023

“If there’s one group that will help catapult this offense to new heights, it’s the O-line. Will Campbell and Emery Jones are budding superstars entering their second seasons, and Miles Frazier can’t be overlooked either.  But what will really be the ultimate indicator of this O-line’s improvement is if five-star tackle Zalance Heard is ready to step in early and contribute. He’s one freshman that looks the part and has the potential to really get this unit to be the best version of itself.” With that said, the toughest game this year will be pretty boring with this one, but the Arkansas game at home on Sept. 23 could be a tough one. This game was a battle in 2022, and a lot of similar pieces are on both rosters this year. 

After opening with Mississippi State, the Razorbacks will be a tough out as the home SEC opener with what you’d expect to be a lot on the line. Either you’re trying to preserve a perfect start to the year or trying to avoid a second loss early in the season. There’s pressure in both situations but Arkansas has proven to be a feisty group early in the year.

• Like 1

Here's a BS depth chart, I count about 81 scholly players, and that does not count J. Emery, Tre Bradford.  I think Bradford may have to do some work before he earns a scholly, kid hasn't done anything in college, been unproductive so far.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/lsu/90981

RB Kaleb Jackson is not on the list, freshman showing up this summer.  He could be a dandy, I have high hopes for him.

#26 Kaleb Jackson  6' 0" 225 lb.  (from LSUsports.net)

Standout running back at Liberty Magnet in Baton Rouge … Louisiana’s top-rated running back for the Class of 2023 … Saw limited action as a senior in 2022 due to injury suffered in season-opener ….Had breakout season in 2021, rushing for 2,031 yards and 29 touchdowns … Averaged 14.7 yards per carry … In 2021, ran for over 100 yards in all 11 games he appeared in …. Averaged 184.6 yards rushing per game … Added 21 receptions for 394 yards and 4 TDs … Invited to participate in U.S. Army Bowl

Anyhow, I think we are close to the 85 limit, don't see room to add anyone, maybe one or two could sneak in.

I hate to say it, but the o-line still looks thin to me.  Plenty of tight ends, and for a change, LSU throws to the tight end.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, houtiger said:

Anyhow, I think we are close to the 85 limit, don't see room to add anyone, maybe one or two could sneak in.

I hate to say it, but the o-line still looks thin to me.  Plenty of tight ends, and for a change, LSU throws to the tight end.

Last season at this time we had one OL that had major starting time, Wire. We are bringing in the top OL in the state, Zalance Heard. We return 4 starters from last year. 3 more True Freshmen and 2 college transfers. We are in way better shape on the OL starting this season. The one open spot LOG, we have a few guys that could play and have played. But Heard wants to play early. Like the two True Freshmen last year, if you can play, Kelly will play you. I do see this staff with a continued eye on the portal. 

Kelly and Denbrock love the TE position, they do a great job with player development, Mason Taylor was a major improvement from his first game to the bowl game. Kelly had an All-American TE at ND, Michael Mayer. We will continue to see this trend continue, here at LSU. 

• Like 1

Dear Brian Kelly,
Head Coach LSU TIGERS Football

Coach Mulkey won the Women's Basketball Championship in her 2nd season.
Coach Johnson won the CWS Baseball Championship in his 2nd season.
You will start your 2nd season this coming September.
No pressure, just sayin !

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Dear Brian Kelly,
Head Coach LSU TIGERS Football

Coach Mulkey won the Women's Basketball Championship in her 2nd season.
Coach Johnson won the CWS Baseball Championship in his 2nd season.
You will start your 2nd season this coming September.
No pressure, just sayin !

LOL dad - I've been thinking that for the last 2 days

• Haha 1

Harold Perkins headlines LSU picks for Phil Steele All-Americans

Billy Embodyabout 7 hours
harold-perkins-headlines-lsu-picks-phil-steele-all-americans BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA - OCTOBER 22: Harold Perkins Jr. #40 of the LSU Tigers celebrates a sack during the first half against the Mississippi Rebels at Tiger Stadium on October 22, 2022 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

LSU linebacker Harold Perkins was named First Team All-American in Phil Steele’s preseason All-American teams. The Tigers had five total selections in the annual magazine.

Wide receiver Malik Nabers (second team), offensive tackle Will Campbell(third team) and tight end Mason Taylor (fourth team) were the picks on the offensive side of the ball. Defensive tackle Mekhi Wingo landed on the third team.

Steele picked the Tigers at No. 11 in his preseason Top 25 poll

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 10:15 AM, houtiger said:

Just thinking about the offense, we have to be better than last year.  We've got most starters back on the o-line, and rumor has it we will have better depth also.  At receiver, we lost Jaray Jenkins and Boutte.  Jenkins was good but not great receiver and Boutte had an off year.  Brian Thomas came in with credentials, Chris Hilton is a sprint champ from high school, and Kyren Lacy showed he can catch.  We have the Gumps transfer and some heralded freshmen coming in, I don't see how that unit is not better than last season.  Tight end, Mason Taylor returns and it appears they upgraded the position with freshmen coming in and a transfer.  Running back, we get Williams back and Goodwin, Emery may get his grades right, and two freshmen coming in, I  think that will be a better overall group.  Then you look at QB.  Daniels has to improve his vision of the field and his timing to throw a deep ball.  He needs to improve his ability to read the defense.  I am sure he wants to go pro so he has been told what he needs to improve, so he's got plenty of incentive.  He sounds to me like he's smart enough to see his opportunity, and this is his money year, improve his draft position and cash in next year on his lifetime of work he's put in.  Nuss will improve from an extra year of experience, and his work in the SECCG should give him confidence.  I see us better at every position.  Another year in the coaches system, the players should be more comfortable.  Another year in the strength and conditioning program and the nutrition program.

I just see this offense as improved, not exceptionally better, but noticably better, like 25%.

Whachathink?

You left out our best receiver/best offensive weapon unless I missed where you mentioned Malik Nabers 

47 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

You left out our best receiver/best offensive weapon unless I missed where you mentioned Malik Nabers 

I think he is so obviously the leader of the receivers that I didn't need to mention him.  I was writing about "improvements", and while Malik may improve a bit with the extra year of experience, and perhaps strength, I view him as "Malik is Malik", sort of the same real good receiver he was last year.

• Like 2

Well, we'll also be more balanced in our rushing attack instead of Daniels carrying the lion's share of rushing yards (unless opposing defenses are still dumb enough to give that to him).

Our RB depth will be so much better this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think he is so obviously the leader of the receivers that I didn't need to mention him.  I was writing about "improvements", and while Malik may improve a bit with the extra year of experience, and perhaps strength, I view him as "Malik is Malik", sort of the same real good receiver he was last year.

In that case, Lacy is my choice

• Like 1