Gameday Tigers

Gardening

Just Me

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I picked my first tomato and first cucumber yesterday.  Yum!

No tomatos yet.

But my cucumbers are going crazy. Today I made 6 pints bread and butter pickles, 7 pints of bread and butter relish, and have 2 to 3 pints of baby gherkins brining in the fridge to can tomorrow.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:09 PM, Just Me said:

No tomatos yet.

But my cucumbers are going crazy. Today I made 6 pints bread and butter pickles, 7 pints of bread and butter relish, and have 2 to 3 pints of baby gherkins brining in the fridge to can tomorrow.

not sure you supposed to be talking about buttering pickle and gherkins.
this is a family friendly board.

• Haha 3

On 5/19/2023 at 6:48 AM, Just Me said:

I love that look. If I still lived on an acreage, that would be great to have!

Fish, you have had a lot to do before getting to a garden. That pool was a mess. Obvious improvement tho.

Are you going to raise chickens for fresh eggs? 

Yes on the yard birds.  There was a run of kennels and the roof of it blew off years back.  We're going to convert it into a chicken coop with part of it converted to Clyde and Cody hidey holes (the dogs) so they can have cover/shelter 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 of my tomato plants that keep dropping blossoms.  The others are doing fine.  I have added calcium, iron, more fertilizer.  I am not sure what else to do.  I even read on Facebook, some guy who put tums or rolaids when he planted his tomatoes (his were 12 feet tall) so I crushed some tums and put on them. That solved the yellow leaves I was having.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  My three varieties are Brandywine, Florida Pink and Hawaiian Pineapple that are doing this.

many tomatoes drop their blossoms with temps around 85 to 90 or above. it may just be time of year. i am having the same problem, because of temps. i planted late because of a late freeze, so i didn't get a lot of fruit set before temps took off. 

Edited by Just Me
  • Like 1

All of my plants are taking a beating in this heat wave especially the one in pots. Its survival of the fittest at my house. Lost one the other day b/c it got white powdery mildew thanks to all this humidity. Good bye, I'm not going to engage in a spraying program for 4 $3.00 plants. Next.

Mine is suffering. Bugs are worse than they have been in years, and since I go totally organic, it's bad. Then there is the disease setting in from the heat and humidity. I'm already ripping out a lot of plants, and replanting.

Typical garden life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, Just Me said:

Mine is suffering. Bugs are worse than they have been in years, and since I go totally organic, it's bad. Then there is the disease setting in from the heat and humidity. I'm already ripping out a lot of plants, and replanting.

Typical garden life.

my cactus isn’t looks too pretty either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1