Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Wake Forest (2023 College World Series - "If Necessary" Game)

Nutriaitch

This is it. A spot in the finals is on the line tonight.
LSU vs Wake Forest at 6pm from Not Rosenblatt

Radio / TV:
Baton Rouge locals can hear the game on 98.1 FM, or people around t globe can listen for free on the LSUSports app.
ESPN has your TV coverage again tonight.

Weather:
92° under partly clear skies. Winds coming in from right field at 7 mph with gusts up around 16 mph. 0% chances of rain the forecast.

Pitchers:
71e9bcf3-b474-443b-8780-6c2980c85c33_tex

I think Dutton or Collins are the guys left, assuming JJ doesn't go with Skenes.

Kind of a 'pick your poison' thing. Personally, I'd save Skenes for Florida and probably start Dutton tonight.

It'll be an interesting call, but I have to think you save Skenes for Game 1 against the Gators.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Herb said:

I think Dutton or Collins are the guys left, assuming JJ doesn't go with Skenes.

Kind of a 'pick your poison' thing. Personally, I'd save Skenes for Florida and probably start Dutton tonight.

It'll be an interesting call, but I have to think you save Skenes for Game 1 against the Gayturds.

we really have 2 options.
Skenes or Hurd

and no way I'm starting Hurd

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herb said:

But then aren't you punting on Skenes being available at all against Floriduh?

would you rather:

A. Face Florida with Skenes not available until maybe a closing role in game 3
or
B. Have Skenes fully rested and available while sitting at home watching Wake Forest play Florida in the championship series

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

would you rather:

A. Face Florida with Skenes not available until maybe a closing role in game 3
or
B. Have Skenes fully rested and available while sitting at home watching Wake Forest play Florida in the championship series

I think its more complicated than that.  Who's the better team, Fla. or WF.  What are the odds we beat WF without Skenes tonight?  Who is WF sending to pitch against us?  If you think Wake and Fla. are equal, you'd pitch Skenes tonight and go to the finals, because our pitch staff is not more of a detriment later than it is tonight.

There may be a difference between getting to the finals vs. winning the championship.

Nootch, your case B, you assume if we don't pitch Skenes we lose tonight.  We didn't pitch Skenes last night and we won.  There are some other possibilities beside A and B.

36 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I think its more complicated than that.  Who's the better team, Fla. or WF.  What are the odds we beat WF without Skenes tonight?  Who is WF sending to pitch against us?  If you think Wake and Fla. are equal, you'd pitch Skenes tonight and go to the finals, because our pitch staff is not more of a detriment later than it is tonight.

they are throwing Rhett Lowder.

a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

36 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Nootch, your case B, you assume if we don't pitch Skenes we lose tonight.  We didn't pitch Skenes last night and we won.  There are some other possibilities beside A and B.

no, my A & B assumes that our best chance to win against the #1 overall seed, the best hitting team in America, and the team with next highest rated pitcher on the mound is with Skenes.

Hurd "can" be good enough to win. But Hurd can also be bad enough for the score to be 6-0 in the the first before we even have another arm warm and ready to throw.