Gameday Tigers

Guitar Heaven?

Perple

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

if that was truly the case, I'd probably have to add another one to my collection

Those ads are a dime a dozen on the internets.  They are all scams, no one sells a legit strat or a les Paul for 150

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big T said:

Those ads are a dime a dozen on the internets.  They are all scams, no one sells a legit strat or a les Paul for 150

oh I'm aware. with one exception.

I know a guy that works at a music shop.
a buddy of his (that didn't know much about guitars) bought a guitar from a local pawn shop as his first learner guitar because he thought it looked cool.
Brings it to our mutual buddy to clean it up, tune it, set it up, etc.

turns out it was a '74 Strat. 
Like a legit Made in America Fender.

paid like $125 for a guitar that was worth somewhere in the $3-4 K range.

I've seen the guitar, it's not in mint condition, but in pretty good shape.  Paint is faded, but not beat up.
very nice looking axe.

I never get lucky like that.
how the hell does NOBODY (whoever sold it, the pawn shop, the guy that bought it) catch that it's the real thing?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, Nutriaitch said:

oh I'm aware. with one exception.

I know a guy that works at a music shop.
a buddy of his (that didn't know much about guitars) bought a guitar from a local pawn shop as his first learner guitar because he thought it looked cool.
Brings it to our mutual buddy to clean it up, tune it, set it up, etc.

turns out it was a '74 Strat. 
Like a legit Made in America Fender.

paid like $125 for a guitar that was worth somewhere in the $3-4 K range.

I've seen the guitar, it's not in mint condition, but in pretty good shape.  Paint is faded, but not beat up.
very nice looking axe.

I never get lucky like that.
how the hell does NOBODY (whoever sold it, the pawn shop, the guy that bought it) catch that it's the real thing?

I'm the same way, never found a deal like that. I feel I can get a deal on guitars & amps.  I never feel like I got a great deal. If I get a great guitar, I know I'm paying for every bit of it, even discounted. The house always wins. 1979- present, still looking for that great deal. One day.. 🙂

It is interesting that nobody caught it as a real '74 Strat. I do love reading these kind of stories. Great deals for your buddy! 

On 8/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, Perple said:

It is interesting that nobody caught it as a real '74 Strat. I do love reading these kind of stories. Great deals for your buddy! 

um, let's just say this wasn't one of those neat little clean Pawn Shops like you see on TV.

One meth-head likely stole it and pawned it off to his crack addict buddy who works in this seedy shed. 
Wouldn't be shocked if they gave him $50 for it and thinks he firetrucked the customer by getting $125.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

My Gibson Les Paul 50's Standards. Blonde or Redhead? Brunette? Easy. The Brunette wife yelling at you "No more guitars!"🙂 If you want to piss her off (not recommended), but.. "Sure Sweety, so no more shoes for you since you have 85 pairs, Imelda? "No that's different!"  It's a no win for her really. Married guys know. We've spent countless hours shopping with her for shoes. "I need a pair for insert name's wedding". Times like this makes you happy there's internet shopping. For me as well.

20230711_002925.thumb.jpg.19fefcfaf1feb3487a3f25266a49e1b4.jpg

20230828_233905.thumb.jpg.0103fb942b8258697295d7019d15ea57.jpg

I like the 50's Standards a little better, because they have a slightly thicker neck. Others might prefer the 60's slim taper neck.  Honestly, to me it's not as big a difference as youtube people make it seem. It's noticable. I can play either comfortably. There's a difference in pickups, the 60's model has slightly hotter pickups. The 50's model more PAF vintage style pickups. None of the Gibson Standards are "Weight releived", meaning that's solid mahogany, that hasn't been "Swiss Cheesed" throughout the body. My two weigh around 8.9 - 9.2 lbs. 

• Like 1

Mesa Boogie Amps - News & Opinion

Sadly, Mesa Boogie was purchased by Gibson.  Gibson will likely keep a few Mesa models & just rebrand them with the Gibson logo, while jacking up Mesa's already high prices. Mesa's are priced high because they use real wood when building the cabinet & hire real engineers to get their amps sounding a certain way. That's expensive. Plus any real Mesa is made in America, with the builders signature or initials inside, before boxing ( Yes, I took a factory tour in Petaluma, California years ago.) Doubtful the new Gibson amps will be made with the same level of quality, but we'll see. Mesa Boogie is known for their Rectifier amps. Gibson is phasing them out already. Makes you wonder why they bought Mesa at all. Stupid comes to mind.  Like discontinuing the Les Paul for a  glorified SG in 1961. Oh wait, Gibson tried that already.  It's why you can't buy a real '61-'67 Les Paul. They weren't made again until 19668/69. I personally like the SG, but it is a distant 2nd to the Les Paul.

Anyway, I decided to get a Mesa Rectifier while I still could. I tried the "Badlander 25". It it a Rectoverb, minus the Reverb tank. I got a great price on one of Mesa'a most popular models. Very glad I did. The Rectoverb 25 head/combo. I could have gotten the head, but decided on the whole combo. They were selling at just over 2K. I just got mine for $650 less, brand new from MF shipped from Mesa. Now they are pretty much gone everywhere. A few store / floor models maybe remain. I know Sweetwater, who don't discount more than $10 or $15 ever, sold over 38 Rectoverb 25 combos in 2 weeks at $1,679 + tax.  Not sure how many silver covering rectoverb 25's they sold, but all are gone too.  Guitar Center & Musicians Friend all gone too. If you flip the "Modern" switch, everything becomes clear why Mesa is very well-respected in the hard rock community. You don't need a tube screamer with it. I mean you can use it, but it's really not needed, imo.  Ironically, the clean channel may be as good as their massive overdrive. I traded a Marshall JCM 900 head & cab for my first Rectoverb 50 series 2, back in 2005. It still works great. But it's 80 lbs, a task to lug around. The new one weighs 40 lbs., much easier to manage. 

20231115_163430.thumb.jpg.005b45460590bc3bd97e8a0565f4bb9e.jpg

Makes me wonder if Gibson will just pop out more Asain made non-tube  "Modeling" amps. 

Edited by Perple

"An Old fart goes to 'Happy Guitar' "

(Hopefully a little, if only very little humor.)

"SalesBro", Bryan bebops over.

"Cool, I've got  the #2 Best selling amp right here, the new Boss Katana that sounds just like a Marshall stack!" Don't they make pedals?  "Yes! Just imagine all thier Boss pedals put in this under $500 amp!" Why doesnt it sound like a Marshall? "Well you can get on your computer, then go to their website & then  lookup Marshall & then start downloading.. No Thanks, that's ok. Where are the tubes?  "Tubes? This is the 21st century, tubes are for old farts & professional players, you don't look a day over 45  Bro!" "Cmon man, buy a Boss Katana! They're brand spanking new, theyre so Boss! Get it?" Uh..yeah.  " What about that Orange 15 tube amp over there & you can keep your Boss amp? "You don't want that, it's Orange color!" Paul Kossoff played them.  'Who?" In fact, Orange amps are pretty respected by quite a few British players & American players. "No way Bro! I've only sold 5 of those. Besides we kicked those Brits asses in the Civil War!" You're not a strong history guy are you? "No, but I know my stuff, Bro." Have you heard of Jimmy Page, he used Orange amps before his Marshall stack & still does. "Of course I know who Jimmy Page is, I'm no dummy. It's hard to be the guitarist for Journey, without people knowing who you are..sheesh" Okay.. Ever heard of Neil Schon? No. I think you're just making up names now, Kossoff & Schon, please Bro!" Yep, you caught me. "Please, please buy one of these Boss amps! I've got 2,000 of these fricking units in stock. I gotta sell 500 by Christmas. Are you going to buy one?" No, I still like the Orange tube amp. "Ok my final offer: I'll sell you a Boss Katana for $345 & throw in 2 brand new tubes. How's does that sound?"  Pretty stupid. Why would I need tubes for a solid state amp? "You could pretend it has tubes? Plus they look cool on my desk!" You have desk? "More of a workspace, we all share a desk" "I can't show you the Orange, it's sold, Bro." That sucks, you lost a sale. "What if I throw in  a few Happy Guitar guitar picks & a 5' cord...free if you buy the Boss?" Well, that's pretty worthless. Would Pete Townsend take your  deal? "Well, if ( tosses up air qoutes) Pete Townshend ever played guitar, he'd jump on that deal, Bro." Did you try plugging one of those tubes into the wall socket? "Yes, but it wouldn't fit . It gets slow at Happy Guitar once in awhile." Bummer. You sold used cars before you got a job at Happy Guitar didn't you? "Shh... I got my rep to protect, but yep. I had no idea  know idea that body was in the trunk, Bro!" What???  "Can't talk about it. It's all hush hush, my lawyer says. Dude fell asleep in the trunk somehow." Did he talk to you first?  "Yep." That explains a lot.  You don't really play guitar do you? I do indeed.  I'm learning "Smoke on the River" right no." It's Smoke on the Water. "Yes, I'm learning that one too." Have you ever even been to a rock concert? "Yes, I have." Let me guess...Journey? "Yes, how did you know?" Wild guess. "Greatest show ever!" "I really like Journey's singer, especially on Escape." So you like Steve Perry? No, I said the singer! Steve Perry is the Bass player." Oh, I see. "I know my stuff Bro." "If you buy the Katana, you can get that Brown Sound, everyone wants." So, you saw that hype video by Boss & right here on the Boss amp tag? "Yep, I know the Katana inside & out." I doubt you even know what Brown sound really is, since it's a made up term by Eddie Van Halen. Most don't know. "Bro, it means it sounds brown" Ok, think we're done here.  You got it wrong again, Eddie was the singer of  Van Halen. Oh really? "Yep. I know my stuff Bro." If you answer these question correctly, I might buy your Katana. It has 2 easy warm up questions. "Ok, hit me, I'm so ready Bro!" Have you heard of the Beatles? "Check!" Have you heard of Paul McCartney? "He's a Beatle, Big check!" OK, what Country was Paul McCartney born in?  "I'll wrap up your new Boss amp, that was too easy Bro, Paul McCartney was born in sunny California, US of A, Bro! Cha-Ching!"

"Wait...he's a Damn Brit? Who else knows about this? It's a trick question! No fair!"You might want to read about the British Invasion sometime. "I'm not reading a damn Civil War book. Sheesh"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Perple said:

My Gibson Les Paul 50's Standards. Blonde or Redhead? Brunette? Easy. The Brunette wife yelling at you "No more guitars!"🙂 If you want to piss her off (not recommended), but.. "Sure Sweety, so no more shoes for you since you have 85 pairs, Imelda? "No that's different!"  It's a no win for her really. Married guys know. We've spent countless hours shopping with her for shoes. "I need a pair for insert name's wedding". Times like this makes you happy there's internet shopping. For me as well.

I like the 50's Standards a little better, because they have a slightly thicker neck. Others might prefer the 60's slim taper neck.  Honestly, to me it's not as big a difference as youtube people make it seem. It's noticable. I can play either comfortably. There's a difference in pickups, the 60's model has slightly hotter pickups. The 50's model more PAF vintage style pickups. None of the Gibson Standards are "Weight releived", meaning that's solid mahogany, that hasn't been "Swiss Cheesed" throughout the body. My two weigh around 8.9 - 9.2 lbs. 

oooh, she’s a beauty. 

my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus

IMG_2092.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A number of years back, my two sisters and brother-in-Law went to a fund raising they had been involved in. My BIL, as they were walking in, told my sisters, at the auction, “We’ve put a ton of money into this, we don’t really need anything!” Then they looked at some of the auction items. A signed guitar, the Stones. He told my sister, not the one he’s married to, but the one that runs his business, “That SOB’s mine!” His Sons birthday was coming up, they couldn’t think of a gift. This did it. 

On 8/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, Perple said:

I'm the same way, never found a deal like that. I feel I can get a deal on guitars & amps.  I never feel like I got a great deal. If I get a great guitar, I know I'm paying for every bit of it, even discounted. The house always wins. 1979- present, still looking for that great deal. One day.. 🙂

The problem is that pawn shops are now hooked up to the internet, can plug in the serial number in Google, and instantly get back a market price.

The best place to look for deals these days are garage sales and estate auctions (if you get lucky).

On 12/16/2023 at 1:08 AM, Perple said:

Stunning.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:33 AM, Herb said:

The problem is that pawn shops are now hooked up to the internet, can plug in the serial number in Google, and instantly get back a market price.

the pawn shop I'm talking about barely has electricity. no way them methheads know how to get online

• Haha 2