Gameday Tigers

Position Group Breakdown-QB

Fishhead

This is the easiest position group to break down, because there's just one on the field at a time, and there is no position battle here.  So let's dive into this

Jayden Daniels-All SEC 1st Team QB, so there you go.  

Most if not all LSU fans (and coaches, AND RECEIVERS) would like to see him improve in the vertical passing game.  Is it really improve?  Or is it just ENGAGE in the vertical passing game? 

Interesting factoid: Jayden Daniels has been a starting D1 QB multiple seasons, 50+ starts.  And last season was by far his lowest yards per attempt of his career. 
We know (if you've seen any of his film pre-LSU) he has the capacity to be the trigger man in an explosive passing game, just has to do it.  

I seriously doubt he comes close to his 2022 rushing attempts number.  We'll get to one glaring reason in another thread...

Even though I pointed out (accurately) there's no position battle here, QB will absolutely be the most watched position group of fall camp because, well, football fans....and especially LSU fans.  But when live fire is incoming, that's what I wanna see. 

Garrett Nussmeier-Best QB on the team because he's the backup

No seriously, he actually may be the best QB on the team in this case!  Definitely the best arm talent, and we have to see how and if he's put it all together.  The reason this isn't a position battle is simple.  As stated above, 50+ starts for one guy, 0 for the other.  

But Nuss is easily the best option of any other SEC team to have coming off the bench.  The only recent comparison I could come up with was Hurts with Tua backing him up, or for that matter, vice versa.  Nuss would absolutely start on multiple SEC teams if he wasn't a Tiger.  And he is, in fact, a true Tiger.  He could've transferred and started a TON of places.  Here he is though. 

He'll have his time.

Rickie Collins: True freshman

I'm not going to spend a ton of time typing about someone I guarantee redshirts.  But Collins is a freak athlete and I hope we get to see him at some juncture and they let him throw.

In summary, I hear people say LSU has the best QB room, but I don't think that's an accurate description.  LSU does have the best 1-2 punch, and there's not much question about that.  But like I started with, there's only one on the field at a time.  Nice to have a Garrett Nussmeier as a backup, though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

question is:

Do we see Nuss in similar capacity to the bowl game?
If so (and he does well) how long before the pressure ramps up, and how do they both handle it?

Nuss came in when Daniels could no longer walk. 

That said, I expect the trigger will be quicker than last season. Like say when Daniels is only limping. 

1 minute ago, Fishhead said:

Was I thinking of the SECCG?

Guess I was

probably.

the way they were used in the bowl is what got the internet buzzing about a potential controversy.

if we continue using them in a similar manner, they will buzz again and the pressure will mount.

1 minute ago, Fishhead said:

Daniels can squash it by throwing downfield and doing it well

have you paid attention to this fanbase?

J-Rock couldn't squash the Flynn barking in a year he went #1 in draft
following year, Flynn couldn't shake RP in a year he won a title