What a difference a year makes!!

1. Josh Williams
2. Logan Diggs
3. John Emery
4. Noah Cain
5. Armoni Goodwin
6. Tre Bradford
7. Trey Holly
8. Kaleb Jackson (thanks @houtiger for the name and spelling correction)

Let's break it down

1. Josh Williams-Can he improve on what was a really solid 2022?  I wouldn't doubt the man.  He is in my opinion the most complete back out of the 8 we're looking at.  He's a 3 down guy, can run, get you tough yards, catch out of the backfield, and block.  Can't ask for more.  Not the most explosive guy, not a bell cow so to speak, but he's just...solid.

2. Logan Diggs-We already had 7 RBs on roster when Diggs was taken through the transfer portal.  There's a reason he was taken, and it wasn't to add a warm body.  Like Williams, Diggs is a 3 down back.  I think he and Williams are 1-2 heading into the season.

3. John Emery-The Wild Card.  You don't go from being the #1 RB in the nation coming out of HS to being no good as a running back.  We've seen the flashes, but we say this every year with Emery.  Bottom line, per Kelly, he's cleared to play, good to go.  It's quite literally his last chance to show his potential is more than just potential.  
Biggest thing for Emery is ball security.  If he hasn't improved there, the experiment is over.  If he has, he'll play a lot. 

4. Noah Cain-Among LSU returning RBs, there's one that didn't miss time due to injury or otherwise.  Noah Cain.  He's a red zone back, can block, and holds onto the ball.  He'll also probably be involved on kick returns.

5. Armoni Goodwin-Significant knee injuries are a thing to pay attention to with regards to recovery.  Guys coming off these types of injuries have to test themselves before they trust the healing.  I think this will slow Goodwin down some, at least early. 

6. Tre Bradford- IDK what to say about Tre.  We have seen his explosiveness, but from past experiences, he's not necessarily a 3 down back.  Hopefully his hands have improved to where he can be a weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.  

7. Trey Holly-Louisiana's all time leading HS rusher.  That's what we know about him.  In a season where we don't have 8 running backs on roster, I would be really looking forward to seeing what he can do.  But barring injuries or him actually being a freak you can't keep off the field, I don't expect much from Trey this season. 

8. Kaleb Jackson-I literally know nothing about the guy, but see above...I don't expect much from a true freshman with a backfield this full with experienced guys ahead of him. 

Frank Wilson is running this group, and looking back, even when he had a true horse (Fournette), guys like Derrius Guice and Darryl Williams were highly involved.  Guys will play. 

I know the QB breakdown is already posted, but having 8 guys, 6 with significant experience, all ready to go at RB should mean we see less Jayden Daniels scrambling.  We'll get to the OL, but we shouldn't have a problem running the ball.

• Like 3

I have liked Kaleb Jackson since I read about him signing.  He was injured his Sr. year, so we didn't hear much about him.  But,

6' 220, came in 4th in 4A state track with a 10.9 hundred meters.

I have seen several articles that he was the top ranked running back in La., despite Trey Holly setting records and getting the press.  I hope both do well, but I won't go to sleep on Kaleb Jackson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Somebody. Anybody … needs to grab the reins and ride this year. No slight on anyone but of all the backs Emery by far has the most potential but potential means you haven’t done it yet. If he puts it all together… look out.

I look at last year as not so much being a year where nobody grabbed the reins, but a year where defenses kept giving Jayden Daniels open running lanes and JD soaked up the running oxygen.

There were worries from fans (like me) that it took Daniels a while to start passing the ball around (which he eventually did) but I can't really knock him for taking what was given (and stealing the rest 😇).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

I look at last year as not so much being a year where nobody grabbed the reins, but a year where defenses kept giving Jayden Daniels open running lanes and JD soaked up the running oxygen.

There were worries from fans (like me) that it took Daniels a while to start passing the ball around (which he eventually did) but I can't really knock him for taking what was given (and stealing the rest 😇).

Another consideration, ONLY Noah Cain made it through the season unscathed. And I'm not saying he's not good, but he wasn't a back that could take the reins... not last year he wasn't. He was coming off knee surgery and missing a season. 

Imo, until someone proves otherwise, Josh Williams is the guy I want out there. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 7:17 PM, houtiger said:

I have liked Kaleb Jackson since I read about him signing.  He was injured his Sr. year, so we didn't hear much about him.  But,

6' 220, came in 4th in 4A state track with a 10.9 hundred meters.

but I won't go to sleep on Kaleb Jackson.

10.68 my research says... at that weight??

And I'm hearing similar things about him now, but I still need to see him pick up a blitz on 3rd down