Gameday Tigers

Defense Position Breakdown-Linebackers

Fishhead

OK, I'm excited about the DL, but I'm pretty hyped up about the linebacker corps, just based on progression of the existing LBs and the incoming guys I think will be a step up from where we were as a unit.

It all starts with one of, if not THE best LB in the country...

Harold Perkins-If you're looking for #40 September 3rd against FSU, it ain't him.  Perkins switched to #4 and won't be hard to pick out.  An absolute game changer as a true freshman, DC Matt House wants to see him more in the middle.  My take, if he stays there, he'll have 1000 tackles.  But I don't know if you can keep him from doing what he does best, which is terrorizing offensive backfields and especially QBs.  It may be a case of Perkins playing more a traditional inside linebacker position on 1st and 2nd downs, but a havoc creator on 3rd downs.  Bottom line, he will be ON THE FIELD no matter what this season.
Perkins is a Bednarik watch list guy.

Greg Penn-This isn't a ranking, but don't sleep on Greg Penn in year 3.  He led the team in tackles during the regular season, although Micah Baskerville eeked it out counting postseason.  But Penn is a solid LB and with natural progression of age and experience, combined with coaching from Matt House, I believe he warrants respect and I believe he'll earn it.  He clearly had the respect of Matt House...he started every single game last year.  

Omar Speights-This is a BIG time transfer from Oregon State that is expected to be in the lineup from day one.  He's looked the part in fall camp so far, with speed and "bend".  He does very well in pass coverage, and I nearly pulled the trigger on Speights as my mancrush.  Only thing that prevented it was the fact he has one year to play one year.
Speights is a big dude at 235 lbs, and appears to have no neck.  He was a FOUR YEAR STARTER at Oregon State. Looking forward to see how he does in the big leagues.  IMO, the better Speights performs, the more freely Matt House can utilize Perkins in attacking fashion.  

West Weeks-He's a junior that transferred in after his freshman season at Virginia.  West played in 14 games in his first year with the Tigers and played well, and is part of the "progression" I'm looking forward to seeing this season with the LB unit.  And now his brother....

Whit Weeks-A true freshman and I believe he'll be in the top 5 (so maybe this is a ranking?).  On film, he pops and he's proving to be special in camp as well.  Much more highly regarded coming out of high school, the younger Weeks brother is a bit of a freak.  A two way player in HS, he was ranked the #11 LB in the country, but also excelled as a RB/WR and kick returner.  Yeah, he's a bit athletic.  
Over 100 tackles at LB, this is where he's made to play and he's already flashing in camp.  At the very least, Whit will be a gamer on special teams right off the bat.  Can't wait to see his career progress.  

So far we've been through the front 7, and I haven't found a "weakness".  We'll keep looking...

• Like 1