Gameday Tigers

Game Thread: LSU vs Florida State (9/3/23 ... 6:30 pm ... ABC)

Nutriaitch

At the half
LSU 17-14

Honestly could/should be up by 17, at least 10.  Couldn't get a yard from the 1 on first drive. 

Daniels with completions to 6 receivers is spreading it around.  Haven't seen the big "shot" play, but he's approaching 200 yds passing at half.  It's been effective, as has his running, although he's not as quick to run.  He did miss BTJ open in the end zone on that first drive where we didn't score from the damn 1. 

Lots of drops from FSU receivers.  I honestly thought they were the best or close to the best WR room in the country, and they could be, if they could catch.  

Defense got better as the half went. Typical of Matt House making adjustments. 

We HAVE to get the running game going outside of Daniels.  We are outrushing them, but the majority of that is Daniels making a couple huge plays with his legs. 
Myles Frazier APPEARS to be an issue at RG, but I'll await film study and hope for sky cam views to see if I'm right. I predicted Lance Heard would eventually be the starter at RT and Jones would move to RG, but I doubt that happens in game 1.  

Muffed punts are gonna drive Nootch to drinking, but following them up with interceptions lessens the sting.  

Great game in the opener.  Noles start the 2nd half with the ball. Let's put a blemish on their record in this stadium!  

GEAUX!!

• Like 1

I didn't get to see the game yet because my son got married yesterday (at least that was fun).  But I don't think Brian Kelly should be let off of the hook for his assinine "We're going to beat the crap out of them" statement then not showing up with a team and game plan to back that up.

So much for the thought that Kelly would be the 3rd LSU coach to win a natty in their 2nd year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big T said:

It was  sh*t show from start to finish. We are sub zero on secondary, abysmal.  We are awful at pass rush! We cannot run the ball if it isn't 5 and he is going to get himself killed doing it.

Get uses to these games. BK has a LOT of work to do.

I'll disagree about pass rush, slightly

We suck at COACHING!!

Swinson (13), Wingo, and Jefferson (99) were dominating. Then on passing downs when I thought we'd move Perkins to Jack, we rushed THREE against THE MOST EXPERIENCED OL IN THE COUNTRY!!!

11 hours ago, COTiger65 said:

Our defense has a long, long way to go to improve or it's going to be a long season.  Too many missed tackles and the secondary is leaving receivers wide open.

I knew the secondary was going to be a problem. I did not know the coaching was going to be a bigger problem.  

To protect the secondary, how about trying to, I don't know, RUSH THE QB???????  Perkins may have played only special teams like he did against them last year.  ZERO plays with him in a position to create havoc.  They want a middle linebacker?  Put Weeks in there and let Harold Perkins go dominate with what he does best!  I knew they were moving him, but I thought surely on passing downs, they would turn him loose.  Nope.  Just leave him there watching Travis stand behind a solid OL facing only a 3 man rush until one of their great WRs got single coverage, throw it up.  

NEVER adjusted to it.  

• Like 2

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I've been saying all along in position breakdown threads to the podcasts the secondary is a huge issue. 

As far as that game plan of having Harold Perkins neutered and only rushing 3 on passing downs, I didn't see that stupidity coming.  But the DL CAN rush the passer.  Wingo, Jefferson, and Swinson proved that.  Wingo was flat unblockable.

With regards to the big picture, we've been hearing from camp how the offense has been torching the defense.  Well now we know why.  Can't hit a QB in camp, so just let our WRs go toast our DBs and call the offense a juggernaut.  

We're like Charlie Brown and the BR Media along with the coaching staff....they're like Lucy.  We keep falling for it though...........