Gameday Tigers

Game Thread: LSU vs Florida State (9/3/23 ... 6:30 pm ... ABC)

Nutriaitch

8 minutes ago, GREG said:

Thanks.

I agree on Perkins but who knows what's next, BK looked a lost in the second half. I just want to see WR's that catch the ball when they're hit in the hands/numbers, PR's that either field or advance punts... not muff them, I want to see Oline block and open holes, I want to see the Dline get pressure... and the umpteen rush attempts on the goal line fail should never happen. 

You'll enjoy the podcast when it comes out.  I promise ALL that will be covered.  

Sneak peek...the DL got pressure when they were schemed to do so.  They decided for some reason to rush 3 on passing downs, and um...FSU has a great QB and ridiculous talent at receiver.  
Remember the segment of the game when we got an INT and on the next drive we dropped an easy INT?  Yeah, Travis was running for his life on both of those plays.  
But we continued to let him sit back and survey the field on 3rd and long for some reason.  Last season Harold Perkins would've been taking his lunch money on passing downs.  Last night, he was standing at the MLB spot watching him from 10 yards away looking lost.  He was playing his "new position".  Dumb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GREG said:

Y'all should discuss the fact that LSU is O'fer since 2020 in season openers w/ SoCal and Clemson on deck for 2024-25.

I mentioned that in the game thread too...prior to us going 0-4

I would HOPE they line up a week 0 game.  Pretty sure USC is playing Hawaii week 0 before they play us

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I mentioned that in the game thread too...prior to us going 0-4

I would HOPE they line up a week 0 game.  Pretty sure USC is playing Hawaii week 0 before they play us

I enjoy LSU opening the season with Power 5 opponents. I just want to see LSU come out ready to play. Win or lose, just be competitive instead of looking unprepared and foolish.

• Like 4

Would be nice if we could just win an opening game. The last 3 openers have been awful.

I guess I'll be positive when there's something to be positive about. Positivity after an asswhipping like that,  is akin to saying "Well, I still have some of my teeth". Correctable? Kelly had a year to correct being able to field a damn punt. What did we see last night?

Next week some will claim they see corrections over non- competitive Grambling.

Edited by Perple

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

As we all know, there's 11 players on the field for each team during every play, right?  11.  
LSU played 13 players all NIGHT on offense.  13.  That's insane.  In fact, it's dumb.

not sure where you getting that number. 

11 starters plus:
Josh Williams
Kyren Lacy
Noah Cain

that's 14 without even looking at the participation report for anyone else that didn't register a statistic.

Marlon Martinez, Bo Bordelon, and Lance Heard all got snaps (may have only been on special teams, but they are on the report).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Move up the Nicholls game, easy fix. 

not that easy.

there are rules that govern scheduling games for Week 0.
and the LSU vs Nicholls game doesn't fall under any of them.

LSU can file for an exemption. But "we want a practice game before USC" probably won't get one.

just like this season. We tried to get Grambling game moved and couldn't.

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

We didn't try a year in advance though

I know, so it is still possible, just IMO unlikely.

if you look at the week 0 games every year, they all fall under one of 3 categories (none of which pertains to the LSU/Nicholls game)

A. Hawai'i is either directly or indirectly involved.  

• Hawai'i is allowed a 13th game most years due help cover expenses of how far they travel compared to rest of the country.  That's why they're regularly on Week 0.
  • Teams that play @ Hawaii are often granted a 13th game. which allows them to schedule Week 0 games.
  • That sometimes creates a Domino effect where other teams on the schedules have to play in Week 0 as well.

2. a kick-off classic type game between "name brand" OOC Power 5 teams.  Think Florida vs Miami a couple seasons ago

±. The Dublin, Ireland game this year (I guess that sorta falls into the OOC matchup deal too, but it being in Dublin is what got it the waiver).

the "we really want to play a game before a big opponent" waiver doesn't typically get granted.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, Nutriaitch said:

not that easy.

there are rules that govern scheduling games for Week 0.
and the LSU vs Nicholls game doesn't fall under any of them.

LSU can file for an exemption. But "we want a practice game before USC" probably won't get one.

just like this season. We tried to get Grambling game moved and couldn't.

I did talk with someone today about seeing if a move could be made. 

• Fishhead pinned and unpinned this topic
On 9/5/2023 at 4:06 PM, Nutriaitch said:

Hawai'i is allowed a 13th game most years due help cover expenses of how far they travel compared to rest of the country.  That's why they're regularly on Week 0.

Wonder if they'll do that for the Cali schools jumping ship to the B1G or whatever TF they are now?