Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Grambling, Sept. 9 2023, 6:30 pm

houtiger

On 9/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, houtiger said:

Whachagot?

Who's going to see playing time that we didn't see vs FSU?

A little Ashton Stamps and Laterrance Welch?  Lance Heard play some RT?  Some Nuss?  Freshmen RB's?  Chris Hilton and Aaron Anderson at WR, we need more reliability at WR.

Any other changes?

Shelton Sampson...add him to the WR list

But more importantly outside of what you said, of which I agree wholeheartedly...

HAROLD FRIGGIN PERKINS!!!!!!!!!  It's almost like he was serving a coach's decision suspension, but on the field lol

Weeks brothers, Speights, Penn...let Harold play Jack.  He weighs (officially...) 212 lbs.  Not 240 lb Devin White or Kevin Minter here.  Get real, coaches.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

That you suggest it is telling of the CB room this far. Someone needs to step up. Paging Denver Harris …

Right. Absolutely, not diminishing him as a WR, but he's got time in the program, speed, and size.  Otherwise I'd say try one of the freshman, but that's a long term project and we have issues NOW.  

9 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I'm not making excuses but a friend of mind reminded me of how depleted our roster was when O left.  I'm trying my best to take a wait and see approach b/c we have a ton of football ahead of us.

I agree.  This is a big problem, and it is not on BK, it is on O for letting the roster decline.  I grabbed the roster for the Jan. 2022 bowl game, with the depleted roster in the thread below, and after that season we had 1 nickel back and zero corners.  Kelly got 2 good ones out of the portal, but they played 1 year and graduated.  Going into this season he was starting over.  He had Sage Ryan and Laterrance Welch.  He hit the portal again, but instead of 2 starters from Arkansas, he got one from Southeastern and one from Syracuse.  We got a couple of high schoolers in, Javian Toviano being the highest rated.

Here is that roster:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Michael Brooks 

One of the best LSU linebackers I've ever witnessed playing the game. A one man wrecking crew.  He played when I was a student. Loved him and Rydell Melancon.

Came across an interview om Michael Brooks where he gives his take on Stovall vs. Arnsparger:

Q - So you were recruited by Jerry Stovall and ended up being coached by Bill Arnsparger. Could you tell us a little about each of those coaches?

Brooks - Stovall was a tough coach. He ran us like crazy in practice. I never thought that it would be that hard playing football. We would run everyday. We would hit every drill and it was just all out, non-stop. It was like live action all the time. It was the first time I ever experienced something like that. It put a lot of pressure on you as far as being in shape and being conditioned. A lot of guys were complaining about all the work, the lifting, the running, then we were losing on top of that. My freshman year we only won like two or three games. Everyone felt that he was working us too hard.
     Well, Jerry ended up getting fired and Bill came in. With Arnsparger it was totally different. The workouts were totally different. It was more professional. Bill brought that NFL style to LSU which the players accepted a lot better. When Bill would walk in the room, all the horse playing would stop. You could hear a pin drop.
       Everyone had heard about him from the NFL and he immediately earned everyone's respect.
A lot of players didn't have that same respect for Stovall and his staff the way they did for Bill. He never raised his voice. He would never yell or scream at you. He was a calm man and he knew the game of football.
       He really expanded me as an athlete and as a linebacker, because when Stovall was there
all they had me do was rush the passer.  When Bill came in, he changed the defense that had me dropping in coverage and expanded me as a linebacker. It improved my vision. I could start to see the entire field and see what it was like to be an actual linebacker. He taught me how to be a linebacker and how to be a professional. He taught us how to carry ourselves, how to play, and how to handled yourself on the football field. He taught us how to be a man and to take on responsibilities.
       I owe a lot to him.  When I hurt my knee my senior year I went to see him and he had AJ Duhe in his office with him. I asked him his opinion on what I should do. Should I go pro or come back next year for a medical redshirt season?  He said.. "Michael I think you should move onto the NFL. You have done everything you need to do on the college level. I think you need to go pro." 
I respected and loved the man so much, I took his advice and went pro.
      He came to see me play a couple of games in the NFL. We were playing the Seattle
Seahawks and Mike Nolan, who is the defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys now was coaching me at the time. He told me that Bill was coming to the game to see me.  Well, I broke the Denver record for most tackles in a game that day. I must of had 20 tackles. ... Before the game I said, "My coach is coming to see me, I need to play good for my coach.".... I just had to show him that I was playing the game the way that it should be played and the way that he taught me. I still think about that to this day. Bill was the best.

Link to entire Q&A: https://www.dabootsports.com/q--a-with-da-boot-sports/q-a-with-da-boot-sports-michael-brooks

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

One of the best LSU linebackers I've ever witnessed playing the game. A one man wrecking crew.  He played when I was a student. Loved him and Rydell Melancon.

Came across an interview om Michael Brooks where he gives his take on Stovall vs. Arnsparger:

Link to entire Q&A: https://www.dabootsports.com/q--a-with-da-boot-sports/q-a-with-da-boot-sports-michael-brooks

That's a great article, thanks!  I remember Brooks.  When it was 3rd and 5 and we were on defense, many times Brooks would break up the play and we got the ball back.  Very interesting comments about Stovall and Arnsparger.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:26 AM, Hatchertiger said:

Gonna tailgate and enjoy an evening in Tiger Stadium.  I’m sure they will work on some issues from FSU and test some of the young players to see if they can be counted  on when the bullets are flying. 

Everything here is week to week. But when I do get back on campus for tailgating and games, I hope I can spend some time tailgating with you and your family. Enjoy today and tailgate a bit for me. I miss it.

• Like 1