Gameday Tigers

Film Study: LSU vs FSU ... 2023 (WTF was that?)

Nutriaitch

20 hours ago, Big T said:

We don't need to play anyone to know that was a dumbsh*t plan. I mean do we? C'mon you are smarter than that, hell we've all said it since Sunday. 

ok, the 2 previous coaches we've had never learned from their mistakes. Even though we all pointed it out every week.

know how we found out they didn't? 
we played somebody.

20 hours ago, Big T said:

I totally understand your pov but no, we don't need to play Grambling to "learn" that. Rent-a-Win...ok. Tune up game...fine but learn anything no way. We already know.

example:
Les would-play this game, and would go even more run heavy than against other teams.
just line up and bowl right through them.
Wouldn't even attempt to work on things we'd struggled with previously.

O would try to make threescore 68-0 to look like he was kicking people's ass.

Saban on the other hand, will tinker and make changes based off previous games and practices.

like changes in personnel and scheme.
seeing those changes tells you the staff is working towards fixing the issues. 

all 3 win by 4 plus TDs.
two of those 3 don't learn shyte.
one of them does.

So you can either trust somebody like Saban who absolutely believes you can learn from these games.
or you can get in the Les and O mindset of "can't learn shyte so don't bother trying"

13 hours ago, Big T said:

We also learned that we won't win many games this year.

I think it is too early to make that proclamation and hope like hell you are wrong.

The heat in Southern Louisiana is just starting to get close to any semblance of being bearable. The heat - along with what I posted in the Grambling game day thread w/ regard to the DL Coaching vacuum - I think are the 2 biggest factors in a lot of our problems.

Unlike other places, our staff didn't endanger player health by pushing too hard in the record breaking heat. (Note I am talking about past years where players actually dropped dead at other schools.)

With the exception of Missouri, Moo State, Alabama and Ole Miss, all of our SEC games are in Death Valley. Personally, I think we win 3 of those 4. We should beat Army and Georgia State.

I am not too worried about Napier's team in Death Valley (though it will be an exciting game) and I think we likely beat Arkansas at home.The only ones that I am truly worried about are Auburn and TAMU at home.

At the end of the day, I think we go 9-3 and a bowl game (no repeat to SEC championship game).

• Like 3

Before the season I picked us to go 10-2.  That was based on Kelly talking up the progress in year 2, Daniels focus on vertical passing, improved o-line play as Campbell and Jones became soph's.  That has not come to pass, yet.  I think Kelly will get the team to improve week to week.  It is still early.  Denver Harris didn't play much last year, its like having a freshman out there, but a physical one.  Looking at it now, Herb's 9-3 looks more probable than my 10-2. 

It looks like we are sacrificing the passing game to get Daniels runs, and I'm not sure that's a good trade off.  If the o-line can open holes and the backs can get through them, we might be better off to give up Daniels running in return for a more dynamic passing attack.  Nuss was not allowed to throw very much against Grambling because we already had a big lead.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Before the season I picked us to go 10-2.  That was based on Kelly talking up the progress in year 2, Daniels focus on vertical passing, improved o-line play as Campbell and Jones became soph's.  That has not come to pass, yet.  I think Kelly will get the team to improve week to week.  It is still early.  Denver Harris didn't play much last year, its like having a freshman out there, but a physical one.  Looking at it now, Herb's 9-3 looks more probable than my 10-2. 

It looks like we are sacrificing the passing game to get Daniels runs, and I'm not sure that's a good trade off.  If the o-line can open holes and the backs can get through them, we might be better off to give up Daniels running in return for a more dynamic passing attack.  Nuss was not allowed to throw very much against Grambling because we already had a big lead.

Harris was a mid-season AA, but then got kicked off the team at TAMU, so yeah lol.  He played almost half a season (was suspended first game)

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

have you seen the rest of the teams on our schedule play this year?

11-1 isn't out of the question at this point

A&M lost to Miami
Alabama lost to Tejas
Auburn looked like liquid dogs hit against Cal
Ole Miss needing a Tulane choke job to save the win
Florida got manhandled by Utah

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

It looks like we are sacrificing the passing game to get Daniels runs, 

we really aren't though.

against FSU, he had 15 carries.
4 of those 15 were sacks.  that leaves 11.
twice he was passing but pocket broke down and he was forced to run. that gets you to 9.
4 times was either a Zone Read or a RPO where he kept instead of handing off, but was still a designed run play.based off his "read" or "tell". down to 5 now.
and 1 designed run that was called specifically for JD

and that's what I saw watching just the 1st half of the FSU game again in Film Study

that leaves 4 possible running plays in the 2nd half.
even if all 4 were called runs for him, that's still only 5 for an entire game.

that's not an outlandish number for a running QB

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

We should call MORE designed running plays for JD. If we designed the offense around his ability to run it'd be nearly unstoppable. 

Well, to add...we should be a very RUN HEAVY team this year and eat up the clock in order to keep the ball away from QBs who can pick apart our secondary.