Gameday Tigers

Other Games of Note - Week #2

COTiger65

6 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Texas beat the Gumps 34-24.  I hate both teams but there is some internal satisfaction when the bumps lose.  LOL

I watched a little of the game.  It does not look like a typical Gumps team, without a Heisman QB or RB, or WR.  That said, one of Saban's strengths over the years has been to see his team improve week by week.  The team we will face will not be the team that lost to TX.  Kelly showed last year he and his staff have been able to coach up the team week to week.

• Like 1

I had a very difficult time determining my mood regarding Gumps vs UT during that game.  I, like Dachs, hate both teams.  I was NOT rooting for UT to win, but can't say I was rooting for the gumps either.  I didn't know what to do with myself lol. 

At one point when Texas hit a long TD pass, I raised my hand in a quiet celebration, then caught myself...dammit. 

The decision was finally made with about 3 minutes left when the crimson clad cousin lovers all started filing out silently into the Tuscaloosa night.  
It was...

Beautiful

• Like 2

Here's the problem though. 

Gumps have been gumps for years now.  You know that enemy.  But Texas.....coming into the SEC next year and with NIL, they're already demolishing us in recruiting.  This isn't going to help.  If they get rolling, with the deep pockets in that alumni base, they will be a serious problem.  

I didn't want them to  win.  But it feels so good watching Alabama lose.  

Conflict.........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

It will take a few years to see how NIL changes the power structure of college football.

Regarding Gumps, Saban coached teams always improve week by week.  That was not the best game they will play.  But, for a change, they are not stocked at QB, which can help us down the line.

Assuming we figure out how to snuff the running game. :LSU:

Aggies were thrashed by Miami.  Fans not happy.

I saw this on Jimbo's buyout,article was written summer 2023:

"After yet another challenging 2022 with a 5-7 overall finish, the fans and the institution itself may be questioning the validity of Fisher's huge contract. It's a contract that was approved by the Board of Regents and includes an extension that began in 2022 and extends through 2031. It includes a $9 million annual salary in 2022 that increases $1 million each season throughout the end of the deal.

Is there any chance that if Fisher and the Aggies have yet another disappointing season in 2023 that the Board of Regents would just cut ties and take its losses?

Fisher's contract buyout is staggering for lack of a better word. If Fisher is fired after 2023, A&M would owe him $77 million. After the 2024 season that goes down to $68 million. After 2025, it's reduced to $58 million and goes down roughly $10 million each season."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, COTiger65 said:

CU put a big time butt whipping on Nebraska 36 - 14.  Next week they face in state rival CSU.  The big test comes in two weeks when they travel to Oregon to face the Ducks.  I'm amazed at the turn around that Deion has produced.

As a CU alum, I am not jumping on the Deion hype train yet.

The program had nowhere to go but up. The roster overhaul was needed and other schools do similar things, Sanders was just way too brash about it.

To keep things in perspective, the Buffs opened the season with a win against a team that loss 65-7 against UGA then played a Nebraska team (at home) that was just as crappy as CU was last year.

TCU had 6 players drafted in the NFL and lost an additional 18 to graduation or expiring eligibility (note some were likely 3rd team and special teams players). They are not even the same team that lost by 58 points to an actual SEC team.

Colorado State hasn't been a factor since Sonny Lubick left.

CU has several ranked teams to play ahead of them - the only one they play at home is USC - and I honestly wonder if they will win any of those. To me, the key game will be the away game with Arizona State (after I assume they will lose to both Oregon and USC). 

I think ultimately, the Buffs will probably wind up being a game or two above break even when the dust settles but they could easily wind up 6-6.

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

It will take a few years to see how NIL changes the power structure of college football.

Regarding Gumps, Saban coached teams always improve week by week.  That was not the best game they will play.  But, for a change, they are not stocked at QB, which can help us down the line.

Their OL looked like dogshit, which made the mediocre QB look even worse

• Like 1

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

Aggies were thrashed by Miami.  Fans not happy.

I saw this on Jimbo's buyout,article was written summer 2023:

"After yet another challenging 2022 with a 5-7 overall finish, the fans and the institution itself may be questioning the validity of Fisher's huge contract. It's a contract that was approved by the Board of Regents and includes an extension that began in 2022 and extends through 2031. It includes a $9 million annual salary in 2022 that increases $1 million each season throughout the end of the deal.

Is there any chance that if Fisher and the Aggies have yet another disappointing season in 2023 that the Board of Regents would just cut ties and take its losses?

Fisher's contract buyout is staggering for lack of a better word. If Fisher is fired after 2023, A&M would owe him $77 million. After the 2024 season that goes down to $68 million. After 2025, it's reduced to $58 million and goes down roughly $10 million each season."

L
O
L

Never sorry when the gumps lose. R o l l T i d e or alternatively I like getting pegged by my sister  🙂  It works Herb!!!

Now Aggies, I feel terrible, just terrible about that loss to an unranked team that hasn't been relevant for years. I cried $77M worth of tears last night. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952kluok2ytsjpq8a2pca

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Herb said:

As a CU alum, I am not jumping on the Deion hype train yet.

The program had nowhere to go but up. The roster overhaul was needed and other schools do similar things, Sanders was just way too brash about it.

To keep things in perspective, the Buffs opened the season with a win against a team that loss 65-7 against UGA then played a Nebraska team (at home) that was just as crappy as CU was last year.

TCU had 6 players drafted in the NFL and lost an additional 18 to graduation or expiring eligibility (note some were likely 3rd team and special teams players). They are not even the same team that lost by 58 points to an actual SEC team.

Colorado State hasn't been a factor since Sonny Lubick left.

CU has several ranked teams to play ahead of them - the only one they play at home is USC - and I honestly wonder if they will win any of those. To me, the key game will be the away game with Arizona State (after I assume they will lose to both Oregon and USC). 

I think ultimately, the Buffs will probably wind up being a game or two above break even when the dust settles but they could easily wind up 6-6.

I'm not on the Deion hype train.  I just think he's done a hell of a job in the first two games given what he inherited.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Herb said:

Assuming we figure out how to snuff the running game. :LSU:

IDK what happened.  Against FSU, they hardly had any success rushing until the defense was just gassed because we didn't even try to generate pressure on Travis on 3rd downs.  

Looked like a sieve against Grambling to start.  Hopefully they get that shyte fixed.  MSU is going to run the ball.  

17 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Never sorry when the gumps lose. R o l l T i d e or alternatively I like getting pegged by my sister  🙂  It works Herb!!!

Now Aggies, I feel terrible, just terrible about that loss to an unranked team that hasn't been relevant for years. I cried $77M worth of tears last night. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952kluok2ytsjpq8a2pca

Internally, we can type something like "Ro|| Tide!" and it will work.  I just wanted to have a special gift for Gump fans that come to troll.

• Like 2