Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Miss State - 2023

houtiger

7 hours ago, Big T said:

How's to cb room?

The transfer from Ohio State is out for the year, lower leg fracture.

"Brian Kelly secured Ohio State transfer JK Johnson, Southeastern Louisiana’s Zy Alexander, Syracuse’s Duce Chestnut and Texas A&M’s Denver Harris.

Alexander, Chestnut and Harris have all seen the field this season, but for Johnson, the first-year Tiger will not suit up in 2023.

Johnson suffered a lower-leg fracture in August and has received successful surgery on his leg that will hold him out of the regular season.

“That’s a long-term injury,” Kelly said during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference. “His surgery was successful but any chance of getting him back would be sometime in December. Maybe later. So, I think that’s what we’re looking at right now.”

LSU would be lucky to get Johnson’s services in December, but for now, his status stands as out for the regular season.

“JK has a fracture,” Kelly said after the injury in August. “That’s got to get set. That looks to be a long-term situation that he’s going to be out.”

Johnson spent two seasons with the Ohio State Buckeyes before taking his talents to Baton Rouge during the offseason. 

A member of the 2021 recruiting class, he was the No. 54 overall recruit, according to the On3 Industry Rankings. "

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, houtiger said:

The transfer fro

Appreciate the info, I was hoping someone would come along and say it has gotten better but alas it still stinks. With the way that moo u QB likes to run around and do silly stuff it doesn't look good. I miss the days when we were DBU and didn't have to sit in zone and get blistered. 

4 hours ago, Big T said:

Appreciate the info, I was hoping someone would come along and say it has gotten better but alas it still stinks. With the way that moo u QB likes to run around and do silly stuff it doesn't look good. I miss the days when we were DBU and didn't have to sit in zone and get blistered. 

Mississippi State runs the ball over 2/3 of plays. 

Not sure if you knew this, but Mike Leach passed away. His air raid is no longer there. They completely changed the offense this year. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Big T said:

How's to cb room?

To go a little farther, the CB room is highly suspect.  O left the roster depleted at the end of 2021, one nickel corner (Sage Ryan) and no scholly corners after graduation.  That is as bad as it gets.  O had recruited Laterance Welch and he signed, a soph this year.  Kelly hit the portal hard and came up with some good ones, but most had just one year of eligibility left and are gone.  We signed Javian Toviano, a stud from Dallas, and Ashton Stamps from NO who has shown well is fall camp.  From the portal we got Duce Chestnut from Syracuse who had played a lot, and Zy Alexander from Southeaster La. who has played a lot.  We got the above mentioned Johnson from Ohio St. who is out for the year.  We signed Denver Harris out of the portal, 5* from La. who went to aTm but was suspended for half of last year, has an attitude that Kelly is attempting to adjust.  Harris screwed up in fall camp, was told to leave the team for a week and decide is he was committed to the program and doing what was asked of him.  He's back on, Kelly says he is committed but has a long way to go.  Harris still has a tendency to freelance a bit, or perhaps he just does not know what to do.  He played against Grambling.  He's probably the most physically talented CB.

That's my impression, maybe others will chime in.

I started a topic about the roster for the bowl game we played at the end of the 2021 season, its still near the top of the Turf section, so you can see where we were. 

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Against Grambling, it was Denver Harris and Zy Alexander the starting corners.  If Kelly can straighten out Harris and Harris takes the coaching and learns to play this scheme, that would probably be best for LSU.  Harris has this year plus 2 more.  That is what LSU needs, some young players than can learn the system and be here for 3 or 4 years.  Trying to make a consistent living out of the portal is a hit and miss, losing proposition IMO.  Kids like Toviano, Welch, Harris, Stamps, that is a base to build on.  I'm not sure Toviano is really a CB, I thought he was recruited as a safety.  The group has not been together, not played together, so they are all learning together.  I suspect they will get better each game from the coaching.

• Like 2