Gameday Tigers

Game Thread: LSU @ Landmass State (9/16/23 ... 11:00am ... ESPN)

Nutriaitch

14 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Just what the doctor ordered!

Yeah.

We're not as good as we thought we were going into the FSU game but better than we thought we were exiting the FSU game.

There is still redemption time.

Malik was ON FIRE!!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Herb said:

Yeah.

We're not as good as we thought we were going into the FSU game but better than we thought we were exiting the FSU game.

There is still redemption time.

Malik was ON FIRE!!!!

It wouldn’t let me read all of it. Only from 2:57. Oh well, thanks for trying

In the first game I could not tell that Daniels made progress from last season, but now I think their d-line dominated us and we could not see what Daniels could do.  Grambling don't count.

Against State, I see some progress that Daniels has made from last season.  On the early drives, State threw a strong blitz at Daniels, he saw it coming, and found a receiver right in the vacated LB space for a nice little gain.  Last year, that definitely would not have happened.  I think he can recognize situations better and he's better able to play to the situation.  Also, the first TD pass to Nabors, Jayden put it up and trusted his receiver to go get it, and if you can't trust Malik who can you trust?  Malik got it for a heck of a TD, he was pretty well covered.  Most of Jayden's runs looked like designed plays for him, not Jayden getting happy feet. 

Now the o-line, especially the right side, E. Jones and Heard, they have a way to go.  They are getting beat and allowing sacks.  I think it is not knowing assignments, so coaching can improve that as the season goes on.

On defense, it is impressive to see Perkins pass rush, then cover a back out of the backfield in pass coverage.  He is fast.  Andre Sam made some nice plays, he's aggressive.

• Like 1

lol…. I forgot I had posted that recipe here. Glad you remembered it … it’s a classic for football tailgates.
All is good with me, retired recently and now I’m busier than ever.

Auburn has done what has been expected, but still a long way to go. Total, stripped- down rebuild for Freeze. I still think we’re a year or two away from having a legit OL with the type of depth required to compete in the SECW …. and I sure wish we had a schedule as easy as Georgia. Mebbe 7 wins this season if we remain healthy.

Tigahs looked good today against Cowbell …..I thought it was a statement game for the naysayers, and much better discipline on assignments. Like Houtiger mentioned, Daniels is noticeably maturing …. and there were several times he looked-off the Safety before coming back to his primary WR …. good eye-discipline.

Good luck this season (except against my Tigers) 

My best to all …. even you, Nootch  *grin*

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

Total, stripped- down rebuild

That is where we were two years ago.  At the Taxact Bowl, Jan. 2022 we had 39 scholly players, and a wide receiver played QB.  Kelly signed the 13 commits that Orgeron had lined up before he was fired, at least he kept them in the fold, but I don't think he was able to add any on the second signing day.  Kelly hit the portal hard and pulled a lot of quality players, including Jayden Daniels.  He went 9-3 in the regular season, beat Gumps, won the SEC West, and lost to Ga. in the SECCG.  Excellent first year.  The team is supposed to be better this year, but did not look like it in game one against FSU.  I think State is down this year, that was probably not a normal SEC test.  It sure is good to see Gumps look human again.

Coach Kelly press conf.  I enjoy his press conferences.  He won't tell you exactly what is going on internally, and he shouldn't, so he's that smart.  But beyond that, he touches on points that most of us find "not obvious".  I find them interesting, while he's not exactly spilling the beans.  Kind of like Kim Mulkey.  They've been around the track a few times and can give a good Q&A without giving too much.  They are always motivating the team, good performance, we need to improve on a few things...